Go Ask Alice; propaganda bullshit or truth?

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by DandelionDeathmetal, Jul 27, 2008.

1. DandelionDeathmetal

DandelionDeathmetal Member

Honestly, I think it might just be the governments way of scaring kids off of drugs and such. Especially the part of the book when she's laying on the ground, it's starting to rain, she might be pregnant, etc. If she was this strung out, why would she even bother to write anymore? Why would the kids be so determined to get back at her and put LSD in the chocolate covered peanuts? It's 'a true story' of a girl in the sixties, migrated to California (huge surpise, right?), opened up a shop with her friend, gets raped at a party of 'pretty people' doing heroin and such at fifteen. It was a good read but I think it's probably just a bullshit way to tell kids "Drugs are bad. This is what with most definitely happen to you if you have friends that do drugs or are associated with people who have taken drugs at any time." Whatever it was, I liked it.

2. Son of Peace

Son of Peace Member

Hmm havn't read that yet man. I'll have to go check it out.

3. benkale

benkale Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i read this book in the 7th or 8th grade... i do remember it scaring me pretty badly. however up until things really started falling apart for her i thought she was really cool and it just made me want to use drugs like her.

well i ended up using a fair number of substances through the years and i wouldn't take it back if i could. i've had some highs and lows, but all my experiences good and bad make me me. pretty well written book as i recall, especially for being a strungout runaway teenager.

4. DandelionDeathmetal

But the thing is, the time she was using these drugs she never once had a bad trip. Except for the whole peanuts thing when she was babysitting. I mean it was a good book, don't get me wrong, but it's written by 'Anonymous' so I really don't think a teenage girl wrote this at all. Again, trying to scare kids off of drugs. Why wouldn't her parents or whoever had this published it put their name on it at least?

5. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

It was proved to be a hoax, writen by soem woman who wrote similar cautionary tales around the same time. Still, it is a good read, if taken with a pinch of salt.

6. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

double post.

7. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

yup... there was apparently a series of propaganda books written by a variety of authors under the guise of being diaries. Go Ask Alice being one of them.

I loved that book in high school... but such obvious bs! I recommend it though, it's a fun one :)

8. DandelionDeathmetal

Hmmm...
    I'm torn between feeling like a complete dumbass for not being informed about this before I posted this thing and feeling uber smart for figuring it out.

Lawl.
    I fail.

9. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

haha...it's alright, I had no idea for the longest time too :) I don't think I would have enjoyed the book half as much if I knew right away it was fake!

10. benkale

benkale Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

yeah looking back it was pretty obviously made up. does any one know the name of the author and what else he or she wrote?

11. Son of Peace

Son of Peace Member

Her name according to wiki is Beatrice Sparks. She's also written Jay's Journal, Treacherous Love: The Diary of an Anonymous Teenager, Almost Lost: The True Story of an Anonymous Teenager's Life on the Streets, Annie's Baby: The Diary of Anonymous, a Pregnant Teenager and It happened to Nancy: By an Anonymous Teenager.

12. Son of Peace

Son of Peace Member

:pDouble post. Not on much so gotta get my posts up somehow

13. hippy i am

hippy i am poppy seed bagels

Aw, maaaan. This totally ruined my perspective on this book.
    Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Now I feel deflated.

14. Blondieblue

Blondieblue Member

I read that book years ago and liked it, never heard anything about it being a hoax though

15. Son of Peace

Son of Peace Member

Hoax's to stop the young mind from finding out for itself what there is out there beyound the horizon

16. Indica.Skye

Indica.Skye Member

You know, the person (i forgot her name) who put the book together did several other books that are supposedly from anonymous diaries of teens. there was a big deal for a while on whether or not she fabricated all the stories. either way, it was a good read. and at first it kinda scared me but now ive read it a bunch of times and see alice as someone i'd be friends with. haha

17. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

i really dont care if its a fake... iot was nicely written, albait a bit too short

18. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

Double Post Man!!!!!

19. stalk

stalk Banned

nicely written?

this is the worst book I've ever read. period.

20. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

HAHA TRIPLE POST!!! ok sorry, this is the last one :)