gluten

Discussion in 'Food Allergies' started by sea of grass, May 7, 2007.

1. sea of grass

sea of grass Member

Gluten is not just found in wheat. It is also found in rye, oats, barley, spelt, and kamut. People with celiacs disease cannot tolerate gluten at all, and therefore cannot eat any of these foods.

Just thought I'd clarify :)

2. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Technically, the protein in oats is not actually gluten, but a cognate protein with similar properties.

I'll take your word for it that coeliacs cannot have oats at all. If, however, you are merely gluten intolerant rather than coeliac, it is possible that you may be OK with oats. Some are, some aren't.

Speaking personally, I'm not inclined to try to find out. I don't want to risk teh symptoms that I'll suffer if it turns out that I can't. Better just to assume it and be safe. :mickey:

3. nirvana98

nirvana98 Member

Yeah :p I'm not really celiac but I do have a wheat allergy. I can eat oats though because
    there is only a small amount of wheat traces on most oats.

4. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

On oats: true celiacs cannot have MOST oats because they are easily contaminated from nearby wheat fields while growing. Also, traditional oats are rolled in wheat flour while being processed so these wouldn't be safe to ANYONE with a wheat allergy.

There ARE certified gluten-free oats out there. Most of them are grown in Canada far enough from any wheat to be truly uncontaminated. My son is one of those intensely-sensitive people who can't handle any type of cross-contamination and we've had to find this one out the hard way.

5. Still Kicking

Still Kicking Members

I read recently that it is the gmo varieties and also the pesticides that could be causing these problems. My wife and I started having problems with gluten, and switched to the old wheats like spelt, emmer, and einkorn. We mostly use organic spelt, and that seems to have solved the problem. The other thing about the pesticides is that the ones they use (sorry, don't know what they are) that the article referred to said that they attack the pests guts, eating holes in them and that people are getting a thing called "leaky gut" from eating those products. So, it may be something other than an allergy.