Globak dimming

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by matthew, Jan 13, 2005.

1. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Climate scientists have discovered a phenomenon that threatens to disrupt our world. Called 'global dimming', it may already have contributed to the deaths of hundreds of thousands through drought and famine. But by trying to cure it we may unleash a climate catastrophe on the planet.

I blame George W Bush :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming

2. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

Very likely something to do with ozone depletion and and carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide emissions. It's really getting out of control, something's gotta be done fast

3. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I think it is the sun.. not the ozone or anything like that ...it is out of our hands .. nothing to do with what we may have done.. may even be part of the cause of a few of our enviromental problems .. i am still looking into it ??

I was hoping someone knew more than me ?? thanks for the response

4. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

I believe that almost all of the earth's problems are due to humans. Mother Nature is balance.

5. xhappyxhatterx

xhappyxhatterx Member

define earths problems

global warming has likely occured before and is a natrual process.not that i'm saying human industrie has sped up the process to a unnatrual rate. but ice ages happen before human ever started the first fire.

6. green_thumb

green_thumb kill your T.V.

It is most definitely not the sun. It is due to pollution, caused by....you guessed it HUMANS. Now by trying to combat dimming, we will likely increase global warming even more. We're screwed.

article

7. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

your right, i hastly posted this before a programe i was going to watch came on...it was quite humbling to watch

Horizon

The thing i gained from it , was that maybe atomic energy was not such a bad idea after all ?? .. not that i thought it was bad in the first place, but i wonder how the world would be if it had been more publicaly imbraced ?.. Maybe instead of closing them .. they should be re commisioned ?

*googles*

http://www.contrails.nl/contrails%20research/Contrails%20Global%20Dimming%2001.htm

Tropical green belt

http://www.science.org.au/natcoms/panevap1104.htm

http://www.mindfully.org/Air/2002/Decreased-Pan-Evaporation1nov02.htm

http://www.sepp.org/pressrel/index.html

*looks up*

*sees data sail over head*

*goes home and cries*

8. goldmund

goldmund Member

I also wish we could use more atomic energy; however, the half-life issue is too big of a concern for me. There is no way even a stable friendly government can protect its supply of radioactive waste for tens of thousands of years. At some point, we can guaruntee that it will get into the hand of someone with ill intent. Also, I believe that it is slightly hippocritical of us to allow certain countries to produce it and others are not allowed to do so. Then add earthquakes, other natural disasters, human error, etc. etc. I just think there has to be other ways.

We need a real commitment to reduce pollution. You read the article, 10,000s of people are dying from complications related to drought, etc. The one I read on the BBC, shows new predictions that England's climate will resemble present day North Africa by 2100, the rest of the earth will be uninhabitable.

2000 + people die in the world trade center and we are willing to spend 100s of billions of dollars on a war that has made us less safe and increased terrorist activity. Many more people will die because of eniviromental pollution. why won't our government spend the same type of money to protect us from these calamities?

Ariana Huffington, journalist, has at least suggested that this may be due in part to Christian fundamentalism in the White House. If the world is expected to end soon, why strive to protect it?

9. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I was joking about it being Mr Bush's fault.. every goverment needs to talk with each other and agree to share and understand that we are all effected , all i think will happen is that problems will just shift to others nations.. We won't give them our problems .. they will create their own , while we have the luxury of moving on in technology , developing counties will just have the same effect on the enviroment as we did , i say did ? hopefuly we are slowly learning .

I do think atomic energy is not the 100% best solution , but it can't do any more harm than we have done already ?. The problem of security and natural events making this a risky thing to do , is imho why we should stop blaming goverments and try and make goverments work together .. just a crazy dream i sometimes have :rolleyes: .

10. green_thumb

Because they have no true interest in protecting us from anything. They don't care to participate in any activity that they won't profit from.

11. green_thumb

Most people have not even heard of global dimming.
    I don't know that atomic energy is a solution. Personally, I think the human population needs to be reduced, we are reaching carrying capacity and will definitely exceed it once we run out of oil.

12. matthew

matthew Almost sexy