glass beadmaking kits?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by mamaboogie, Jun 13, 2006.

1. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

....like I really need another hobby or more unfinished projects laying around...

I've seen these really cool glass beadmaking kits at the hobby store. They claim to come with everything you need to get started. I just can't resist the urge to play with a torch and melt stuff!! question, are these kits worth it? Or should I get my pyro fix by asking DH to teach me to use his welder instead? :)

2. ElChivato

ElChivato SeNioR MeMBeR

my mom used to do a bunch of glass bead work, i don't know if she used any kits though.

3. sugarbee

sugarbee Member

Hey Mamaboogie,

I can't answer your question about the kits with out knowing what is in them; none of the hobby stores by me have don't any glass supplies. If you give me more info on the kits or have any other glass questions I would be more than happy to help you. Their are some online glass suppliers with great kits - www.frantzartglass.com is the one I use the most for my glass addiction.

4. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

5. sugarbee

sugarbee Member

The kit you have pictured would be a good way to start and see if you liked lampworking and wanted to invest more $ in to equipment latter: A kiln to anneal the beads making them durable and safe to use and sell, and a oxy/propane surface mix torch that you would have more control over the flame , a cleaner flame , and be able to make larger beads.

The kit comes with a fiber blanket to cool the beads at a even rate . If you wanted to use the beads in jewelry you would keep yourself it would probably be ok but I would never sell beads that hadn't been annealed.

6. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

thanks. we have good torches already, or DH does as he is a fabricator and welder and machinist by trade, does repair work on the side for his friend's motorcycles and such. How hot does the kiln need to be? My mom has several ceramics and pottery type kilns.... could they be used, or do they get too hot for this sort of thing? I heard somewhere someone said something about a crockpot full of vermiculite?