glade plug ins

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

My uncle is a fireman. Would you like me to ask him?

2. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

My god, I never expected to see that SO MANY people here use those damned things!

For one thing, although I'm sure they use only a small amount of electricity, multiply that by millions of households, and you can see that it's not negligible anymore... that electricity has to come from somewhere. So they're wasteful.

Then, there's the fact that so-called "air fresheners" are scientifically designed to not only put a scent into the air (to mask unpleasant odors) but also to DEADEN YOUR SENSE OF SMELL. That's right, I remember hearing that they act as a sort of anesthetic for your sense of smell, and that's part of how they work as advertised.

I can't figure out why, between these reasons and the fire-hazard reason, as well as the "it takes up an outlet" reason, anyone uses the damned things.

Just burn incense! :) Incense rocks! I'm gonna put a stick on right now!

And you know what? I doubt if incense has, like, ever caused a house fire. The stuff just burns too cool to set anything on fire! In fact, as an experiment, I tried to get it to light a little puddle of LIGHTER FLUID in an ashtray once, and it wouldn't even ignite that!

-Jeffrey

3. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

It "makes sense" that SC Johnson Wax, or whoever owns Glade, would fail to test ALL POSSIBLE SCENARIOS with its product to see if it were a potential fire hazard, since they stand to be sued for hundreds of million$ of dollar$?!

How does that make sense?

As much as I detest the awful-smelling, artificial, nose-deadening things, I don't really believe they are a fire hazard.

Even if the company doesn't test their shit, Underwriters Laboratories does so, to guarantee the public's safety. If there was a problem with these plug-in crappy things, do you think you would have had to wait to hear about it on an internet message board??

-Jeffrey

4. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

A friend of mine told me the same thing about the "plug ins". But, she told me it happened to her sister and brother-in-law.

5. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

6. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I agree with heat.

7. hiro

hiro pursue it

I have never used one and thankfully so.