giving up meat... a little help?

Discussion in 'So you want to be a Vegetarian?' started by cukooforyoo, Nov 11, 2010.

1. cukooforyoo

cukooforyoo Member

my, oh my.. im finding it very hard to go vegetarian! i have tried to go veggie on many occasions (but it never quite lasted more then a month each time).

im passionate about the reasons i want to be vegetarian but im still finding it difficult. I find myself either forgetting (i know its silly) or plain and simple missing meat too much!

i decided try being vegetarian for a healthier, more economically-friendly life style, and a general feeling of well-being(and of course i am not a fan of animal slaughtering).

i probably am just will-power challenged..
    BUT
    my question is, how do YOU keep yourself motivated to stay vegetarian?

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

watch videos on slaugherhouses on the internet every day. i'm not a vegetarian but after watching a few of those videos i became a vegetarian for a couple of months without even making a conscious decision about it.

i like meat too much to make that lifestyle a longterm thing, but I still try to eat only free range or locally hunted meat.

3. Its V

Its V Member

4. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

The first weeks/months you may feel the urge to eat meat, happened to me too, but after a while you get used to it and having to eat meat becomes *difficult*.
    I have stopped eating meat 15 years ago and after the first weeks I never again wanted meat.
    Maybe you can eat some soya products which can appear looking and tasting almost like meat.

5. cukooforyoo

cukooforyoo Member

yes, Meet your Meat was the video that made me want to go veggie this time around..

watching those videos again is a good idea.. i guess when you dont have the evidence in your face all the time its easy to forget why you're doing it.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

what triggers you to eat non-veg food?

And it isn't a will power issue, really.
    Some people go veg almost instantaneously, and many more will claim it. :)

The rest step down into it.
    Try picking a day, or a particular meal each day, that you can commit to eating veg.
    Ideally, it is a day or meal you control. But it doesn't have to be. Just think: I only have to be veg on THIS day (at THIS meal).

I stepped down (long before I knew what that was. Today is my 30th veggieversary) over a month, with a "deal" with my parents for visiting grandmother.
    In year three, I explained to my grandmother why I was on the vegetarian journey, reassured her I was not out to make the family veg, and I could still eat most of her food.
    That day, I was able to skip the fish at her home (she'd cooked pescatarian for me, not grasping the meat+ animal rather than the distinctions of religion).

I'm not sure if it is still in print, but I read a book, The Gradual Vegetarian, by Lisa Tracy that was very helpful.

7. Dancing til Dawn

Dancing til Dawn Senior Member

just think of all those lost souls that died and mostly lived in horrendous conditions so you could fill your body when other sources are available..
    You wil have less to face in ur after life and your energy and happiness will improve-
    keep this in mind and you should be fine!
    :2thumbsup:

8. cukooforyoo

cukooforyoo Member

im also a bit worried about getting missing out on certain nutrients,
    besides a b12 suppliment, is there any other crucial vitamin i should be aware of?

9. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

watch out for calcium, there's some in various veggies [dark green leafies] and almonds and sesame seeds and soy/tofu [esp. made a certain way] and other things

iron, eat your beans, more greens

um, there's probably more . . .

10. drumminmama

I wrote a so you want to be veg post that is stickied.
    The links are recently updated (last month).
    It has links to various nutrition info sites for vegetarians and vegans.

11. idioticnumbskull

idioticnumbskull Member

Don't do it! Don't go over to the darkside!

12. cukooforyoo

cukooforyoo Member

haha coming from somone whose location is " a sphere of ignorance" :p

13. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I know it's going to be difficult, and I may even slip up at first, but what matters is I'[m trying, and I'm still reducing the amount of meat consumed at least. I will be disciplined, but forgiving. I won't beat myself up, and I won't give up.

14. drumminmama

Great attitude, poet!

15. Michael Starless

Michael Starless Member

I don't know how useful this will be but what I did was first try to go a day with out it then eat some then a week than a month until eventually I just stopped eating meat. Again don't know if this is useful but hopefully it is

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I found that after not eating meat for a while, it really stinks if you smell a piece of it raw. Some meat substitutes are very good and some-not.

17. Dancing til Dawn

Dancing til Dawn Senior Member

You stink less too.. veggie BO rules ... mwhaaa...

18. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

19. Coleco

Coleco Member

Twas easy for me
    I just ate things that werent meat. That lasted for 2 years and then I ate meat again. Not that I craved it, I just did it.
    I didnt eat much of that imitation meat either during those years. There were plenty of other yummy foods for me to eat. I felt great too, still could lift weights and everything without getting any weaker. Only reason I came off the vegan diet was because I just changed my mind about it all.
    But go ahead and try it if its what you want to do.