giving blood

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by backtothelab, May 12, 2004.

1. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

do i have to slow down if i wanna give blood? it's not a prob if i have to stop for a while

2. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Member

I think they only test for diseases..right?

3. ericf

ericf Member

As long as you are not high at the time they take the blood you are okay.

Yes I am a regular smoker (but only weekly) and yes I did actually ask them this. It is also on their webpage http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html#marijuana

And, yes, I wish I had read that before I asked in person. :D It was a little embarrassing and I got a weird look from the person. But she said it was fine. I told her it was a while ago and I was just experimenting but that was all I had ever tried.

Note: snorting anything is a big no-no... tattoos also... butt-sex and IV drug use are RIGHT out... but pot is fine.

4. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

i know if you give blood at the doctors they dont test for thc in it.

5. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

when a woman came to my school the day before they did the bloodmobile she said you can still donate if you smoke. the only drug related question i saw on the paper was, "have you snorted cocaine or any other street drug in the past 12 months?" i think you'll be cool

6. marquee

marquee Member

that would be pretty fucking week if you got busted for marijuana because you did a good deed like donating blood. That would perfectly show the complete lack of logic that much of our legal system goes by.

7. ericf

ericf Member

lol, I agree... but don't worry. The red cross recognizes that there is no risk at all from accepting from smokers. Plus -- honestly it is the good hippie stoners who probably make up a large base of their donors. They just don't want you high when you donate for obvious reasons, they want you to give when you are both in sound body and MIND.

I gave recently to the Florida Blood bank -- which is seperate. I didn't ask about their policy. They haven't sent me anything saying there was a problem and, judging by the number of vials for testing, they probably didn't test for it either.

Do your good deeds... don't let fear stop you. They don't want people engaging in dangerous stuff but stoners are fine. :D

8. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i've given blood before and have wondered if they test for thc and throw it away if it tests positive. i think they asked me a question like "have you done any illegal drugs in the past month" or something. i said no. pot won't hurt anyone.

someone told me that they do test it and throw it away, but i dunno. lately, i haven't donated cuz it's pointless if they throw it away.

i wonder if you would get really stoned if you smoked right after giving blood. cuz you have less blood in you, so maybe it would affect you faster or better.

9. ericf

ericf Member

They do not test for it... and they would inform you if they didn't use your blood for any reason.

I don't know if you get more high after donating but I know you can get plastered drinking after you donate. ;) Just be careful no matter what you do. You have less blood, lower blood pressure, and are dehydrated. Take it easy. Most places recommend that you don't smoke (cigs) for at least an hour. I would say the same with pot... simply because it will make you really lightheaded.

10. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i think i might donate some blood in a week and then maybe smoke a lil after. if i do, i'll let ya know how it goes.