Getting Use to being barefoot.

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Killa1989, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Killa1989

Killa1989 Members

I don’t know but when I was foot shy wearing socks felt normal so I’ll always feel uncomfortable being barefoot like my feet would get cold fast.
    Now Ive been going barefoot for awhile and now when I put on socks my feet feel to hot it’s unbeatable I can’t wear socks without feeling uncomfortable.
    Do feet adjust to the way you live ?

Naked_Toes and RT19 like this.
  2. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I think you've already answered your own question.

SoftSoles and RT19 like this.
  3. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I can't see how a pair of socks would make a difference, you mean shoes perhaps? What has happen here is you discovered the side effect of going barefoot,it gets addicting! Unfortunately, even though we hate shoes and socks, they are still needed in life, especially for things like work. Your feet will change when you go barefoot, it will cause your arches to strengthen, your feet might expand, so anything on your feet may not feel the same anymore. It might be just a question of getting a different pair of socks, something a little more roomier, that's what I did, it helped. Of course, nothing feels better that bare feet, and we all know that here.

RT19 likes this.
  4. Naked_Toes

Naked_Toes Members

I could agree with this one. I'm to the point now that, if I've been somewhere that requires shoes and socks, as soon as I'm home and the shoes come off, the socks have to come off with them. It actuallys starts to feel weird if I'm not barefoot. Even in the middle of winter my feet are bare.

Like you said, I'm pretty sure I'm getting conditioned to always want to be barefoot when possible.

SoftSoles, RT19 and riverman18 like this.
  5. RT19

RT19 Members

As others have said, yes your and my feet certainly become accustomed to being free and bare. I can tolerate shoes and socks for a typical work day but as soon as I’m home the shoes and socks come off. It’s just natural to me now to remove socks with shoes.

BarefootedBoy and SoftSoles like this.
  6. goodearth

goodearth Member

Most of the time I have to sleep with my feet sticking out from under the covers. Otherwise they get too hot. I never did that when I wore shoes a lot. I have a lot better blood circulation in my feet now.

BarefootedBoy and GLENGLEN like this.
  7. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

My feet have to be covered with a sheet or I'll never get to sleep.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i can fall asleep with my feet uncovered, but at some point in my sleep i'll end up pulling my feet back under the blankets, and probably end up making a twisted mess out of the covers in the process. so it's simpler to just put them under the covers in the first place.

goodearth likes this.
  9. SoftSoles

SoftSoles Member

Largely speaking, the body is designed to gradually adapt to new environments and surroundings. Simply consider the act itself. When you first started barefooting, it no doubt felt uncomfortable if undertaken for lengthy periods, since the soft/connective tissue of your feet simply wasn't accustomed to the greater intrinsic movement that occurs when allowing the muscles to work independently of footwear. Since, the feet of bare footers move slightly differently, compared to those that spend a lifetime encased in footwear, it was only natural to expect that fatigue and discomfort would be encountered, not least in terms of their sensitivity to stepping upon harsher surfaces.

Over time, however, your feet simply adapted to spending greater periods of time outside of footwear, as the depth of the fat pad in your forefoot developed, skin upon the soles became a little tougher (not necessarily rough/callus) and strength of muscles improved. Of course, due to improved strength and dexterity (as a result of regularly abandoning footwear), the shape of your feet may have also changed slightly, with greater height now possessed through the arch, visibly greater prominence in the forefoot and more even spacing/alignment of the toes.

The aesthetic changes are no doubt incredibly pleasing, but they also remain functional, not least when it comes to maintaining balance and supporting the quick transfer of body weight. However, these are simply adaptations to routinely allowing your feet to move as nature intended.

Within reason, by continually exposing your feet to the cold during winter months, it's something they've simply grown accustomed towards as your barefoot journey continues to evolve.

BarefootedBoy and Killa1989 like this.
  10. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Your average foot is a marvelousy adaptive body part. In the past, the thought of barefoot walking on snow would've been preposterous to me. Today, I do it anyway, and don't give a shit. Except when the numbness starts to set in. Then you do have to give a shit.

11. nr3c

nr3c Member

Help me go barefoot

12. bilbo86

bilbo86 Members

Actually it did for me, now being barefoot is perfect unless in extreme weather

13. nr3c

nr3c Member

So being foot shy, how long might it take to feel comfortable barefoot openly?

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

in your case, i'm going to guess never.

fatelvis and GLENGLEN like this.
  15. Naked_Toes

Naked_Toes Members

It's already been 10 years, on here at least...

16. Barefoooter

Barefoooter Avid barefooter, living barefoot all year round

It's best to walk barefoot whenever possible, on many differnent surfaches. Then soles become tougher and thougher and it'll be normal to walk barefoot everywhere.

Barefoot Hiker likes this.
  17. mmicmann

mmicmann Member

Pebble-grain concrete is great for this

Barefoot Hiker likes this.