getting irritated

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by ledzeppelinlover, Jun 7, 2006.

1. ledzeppelinlover

ledzeppelinlover Member

well my girlfriend and i have been going out for 4 months since yesterday. It's great and things are fine between us but there is one thing that has been a nuisance throughout the whole relationship, her dad. He leaves us alone about 10 minutes every time I'm over and that's it. When he's there i can't be within three feet of her. I don't think i can take much more of him. He's letting me go down to Potosi (Missouri) with them in August but he'll be on me 24/7 again.

Basically my question is what can i do to get him to back off at least a little bit? Any help will be appreciated.

2. chris_1661

chris_1661 Member

You have to see things from his point of view as well as your own. You are only 13, and knowing what Dads are like, they tend to be over-protective of their daughters, which is understandable.

Also, I think that you should discuss with your girlfriend how you feel about it, and maybe you could ask her how she feels about it, and what she thinks.
    Then, she could then discuss it with her dad, and tell him how she feels. Tell her that you feel that her Dad doesn't trust you enough because he comes in every 10 minutes.

Get her to raise this concern with her Dad. I think it's better coming from her than it is from you, because he will be more understanding if it comes from his own daughter, and he might back off a little.

If he ever asks to speak to you, only if he does, let him know that you won't hurt her, and that you can be trusted, BUT only if he asks you.

He is just looking out for his daughter, and I understand your frustration, and if I was in your position, i'd feel exactly the same way.

I hope my advice has helped.

3. ledzeppelinlover

ledzeppelinlover Member

i have talked to her about it and she has consulted her dad on this issue before and he then limited our visits from like 3 times a week to 1. she is bringing it up with her dad again today, at least that's what she told me, so i don't know if good or bad will come this time.

4. chris_1661

chris_1661 Member

Just tell her to discuss this issue again with her Dad, and tell her tell her Dad that you "BOTH" feel that he is coming between your relationship.

If her Dad doesn't respect the wishes of the yas, then your relationship won't work.

If you both hung out together, you would get more freedom to yourselves.

Get her to ask her Dad how he genuine feels about it, and get her to ask him how he genuinely feels about it.

Tell her that you both get the impression that you can't be trusted, and that it is affecting your relationship.

Hope that helps.

5. RetroGroove_Grrl

RetroGroove_Grrl I'm a big girl now

Think about it like this

Hes knows you have impure thoughts about sticking your hands in places that he doesnt even see !

of course hes watching you like a hawk.

Just you know, go about your thing when theyre there. Thats not to say jump her, but if ypou wanna give her a kiss do it. Or hold her hand.. or whatever.

6. Gypsy_girl

Gypsy_girl Member

I agree with Chris on this one. Hope her conversationn with him today goes better than the last one, and if there's still no progress, perhaps you could both talk to him?

Good luck and hope that helps.

7. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Chris gives very good advice. Keep in mind, you are only 13. Dads remember what it was like to be 13 and just catching the hormone rush and everything. He just doesn't want his little girl to go too far and will do everything in his power to make sure that it doesn't. Don't expect to be treated like an adult at 13, it's a harsh reality and it definitely isn't fair, but it's doubtful he takes your relationship very seriously.

Maybe you could ask him if it would be alright if you took his daughter out to the park or on a walk? And I don't mean let your girlfriend ask for you, if you want him to respect you, you have to talk to him yourself and show him you're a responsible young man with nothing but good intentions for his daughter. Have a specific time you'll have her back and do not have her back a minute later. Show him he has reason to trust you and he probably will.

His behavior is not unusual or to be unexpected at your age. Daddies don't want to give their little girls up, but if you show him you're not a bumbling idiot like a lot of 13 year old boys, then you might change his mind.

8. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

If you want more time with the girlfriend you need to show daddy that your intentions are honorable (remember that he was once a hormonal teenage boy too).

I have a 13 year old son, and would really hesitate if he always wanted to be alone with his girlfriend....they spend lots of time together but always in the company of others. Maybe if you and your girlfriend hung out with other people dad would back off a little. It is the father's decision on how much you see his daughter, and you will get a lot farther with him if you acknowledge and respect that.