gettin dreads

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by ganjasgreat, Apr 21, 2007.

1. ganjasgreat

ganjasgreat Member

So I'm getting my dreads done next weekend by my sisters friend who has them too, but the only thing im nervous about is keeping them clean. She says hers smell gross because they stay wet on the inside and she has so much dandriff from not being able to brush her hair. Any suggestions on how to keep them clean? and not smell gross

2. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

lysol and a vacuum cleaner

3. ganjasgreat

ganjasgreat Member

uh..seriously?

4. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I havent a clue

5. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Do NOT use wax!!!
    Other than that, don't put anything in your hair, just use a residue free soap w/ tea tree oil like Doc Bronners to wash it, and you should be good. As they get more mature/thicker wash less often, 1x a week.

6. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

what he said.

Regarding the drying issue...either go out in the sun or use a blowdrier. I usually let mine airdry...but it's not the best way to go. The dreads get musty because they take so long to dry.

Blowdrying is a bitch, but it's worth it. It leaves your hair super fuzzy, so get some 100% aloe vera gel and use very very sparingly to smooth the frizzes down.

7. ganjasgreat

ganjasgreat Member

8. Advaya

Advaya Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I think I might want someone with dreads that weren't dirty and stinky to put them in my hair, if I were to have them "put in".

I never had problems with mine drying, but I didn't use wax. My boyfriend's dreads had wax and his hair would never freakin' dry, and was still waxy after they were cut. I don't even know where the hell this wax is coming from, it's like it migrated into his brain and comes out when he washes his hair. It's gross. So wax = nasty wet stinky dreads.

9. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

when you get to the point where your dreads reak from washing them and never dry, they're too tight and too mature to even be washed, so just...dont! when the time comes...and especially if you're worried about dandruff or itchies, you can always find a recipe spray to soothe your head.

that's my plan anyways! :rolleyes: