George Orwells 1984?

Discussion in 'Political Books' started by tie_dye_kid_454, Mar 14, 2009.

1. tie_dye_kid_454

tie_dye_kid_454 Member

I really love that book. Anyone here read it?

2. inky-moonshine

inky-moonshine Member

Read it. Loved it. Even managed to wade through the whole 'Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism by Emmanuel Goldstein' essay. Orwell's books may not have been the most thrilling or ostentatiously written books ever, but dammit, the man knew how to make a point.

3. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

hellz to the yeahz

4. Tymar

Tymar Member

Yes, it's always been one of my favorite books and probably the most famous of the 'future totalitarian' genre. May I suggest One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

5. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

I should think most people have read it, though maybe not at age 14. (well when I say "most people", I mean most people that read books at all.) You might be interested in a couple of novels that had a big influence on 1984: We by Yevgeny Zamyatin and The Iron Heel by Jack London. "We" also depicts a future totalitarian society while The Iron Heel is London's vision of a future class war in the US.

6. I_Human

I_Human Member

I loved 1984.
    May I also suggest Ayn Rand's Anthem, and of course, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

7. student of life

student of life Member

1984 is a great book. I have been meaning to read Brave New World for awhile now. Need to get to it.

8. Escapitalist

Escapitalist Member

1984 - by far one of the best books I've ever read.
    "We" by Zamyatin one of the worst. The plot is pretty simular in both these books but Orwell could pull it off so much better.

9. psychedelic goddess

psychedelic goddess ♥Messenger of Love♥

The book is great - so much better than the movie, although i dig Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" and its obvious Orwellian influence.

10. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I like it a little. I don't like how people compare countries like the UK and USA to it.

11. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

i was supposed to read it for english but read like one page and i could not get into it.

i hated it.

12. LennonGarfunkel

LennonGarfunkel Member

I got it from the school library. It took me like 3 months to read because i got really bored and pretty much stopped readin when winston was readin from the Book but I finished it and overall it was a pretty groovy book. The ending wasn't what I expected but It was a pretty big warning about the future.

13. Surrealistic starship

Surrealistic starship Member

I read 1984 awhile ago and i liked it, im gonna read those too ^

14. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I didn't fine Anthem to particularly special, especially compared to 1984 and Rand's other books. I suppose it is good if you are looking to cover the genre.

15. Hippie McRaver

Hippie McRaver Senior Member

that book changed the way I view the world

16. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

Really great. From what I remember I read the most part of it on a flight to Lanzarote.

It really spoke to me, I mean this book created concepts which don't seem much of a fantasy anymore. It scary, but not completely surprising to believe there may be a possibility our world ends up much like how the novel described it.

17. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

How did you manage to hate an amazing piece of literature after only "like one page"?

18. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

It's a talent only idiots have.

19. jimmydean885

jimmydean885 Member

i mentioned this in a recent thread about Brave New World, but Kurt Vonnegut is another great author to check out. Slaughter House Five is one of my favorite books and breakfast of Champions is good too

20. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

It is so like an exaggerated look at many modern cultures with mindless sheep constantly droning the praises of their social establishments, creating enemies out of nothing to further their nationalistic agendas, biasing the "media" on anything it doesn't approve of and so forth.

Why exactly does that bother you Odon? I mean do you really not see the somewhat subtle similarities or do you just do your best to ignore them?

Ironically I first read it in 1984.