General Discussion

Discussion in 'You Are What You Eat!' started by skip, Nov 2, 2007.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

This thread is for discussing issues not brought up in the lessons. You can discuss any dietary questions here. :)

2. IlUvMuSIc

IlUvMuSIc Senior Member

Um... Can i fast? I dont know if this is in the other thread (and if it is sorry cos i didnt see it)

But considering im still growing is it wise? I dunno maybe im being like paranoid... Or overly cautious...

3. skip

That's a good question. Obviously your need for nourishment is more critical during your growing years.

I don't see any problem with a short fast for a day or two. You may feel more intensely hungry than adults so it might be more of a challenge for you. But it will definitely put you in better contact with your own body and raise your awareness of what your body really requires.

I wouldn't do a complete fast. A juice fast would probably be better for you. You might be able to go a bit longer, say 3-4 days, as long as you're still getting some nourishment.

Children often attempt to fast when they are sick. But doting parents usually insist they eat, thinking they'll get weaker and sicker if they don't. This is rarely the case, as most kids bodies are telling them not to eat because they need the fast to cleanse out toxins being produced by their disease or by whatever made them ill (sometimes its food poisoning!).

I remember those times when I was sick after eating some tainted food (usually meat or dairy products). I was even turned off to those foods that got me sick including egg-nog and hamburgers. During my sickness I refused to eat until my system felt normal again.

Fasting is a NORMAL, automatic reaction to toxins and intestinal problems, even for kids.

So an intentional fast is likely to improve your health and energy levels, regardless of how young you are. If I had to draw a line for kids it would probably be around age 6 or so.

Again, I recommend fasting as a way to switch to a new, healthier diet by removing traces of your prior diet from your system, or to clean out accumulated toxins.

So you should have a purpose or goal in fasting, and not do it just to fast.

4. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

Well, I have decided to go vegetarian except for seafood for now (eventually seafood will be out) I am not fasting just yet but, I have had some horrible gut cramps and strange odors coming out of my pores (even after I shower). My sister even commented on how I smells Like feet. I've been eating simple foods, mostly organic, no white sugar, little butter, lots of veggies, no meat, lots of rice and wheat pasta. I have been trying to get milk out and I bought some hempmilk, I am wondering if the kind I bought is causing these cramps? I have eaten hemp seed before and I love it, so when I saw the milk I thought it was fabulous. I noticed it has Xanthan Gum and disodium ohosphate (I think) Its the original flavor from living harvest. I got constipated and I needed to fart. I drank 1/2 a cup of prune juice and now I have diarrhea. This never happens. I also smell like feet.
    The last time I fasted was about 5 years ago and I don't really remember smelling too much but nowall i am doin is eating less and getting more junk out of my body. Why is that? Is it because I'm older now, or I have more toxins in my system?

5. skip

I've never had hempmilk before (although I have tried a number of hemp products). So I can't be sure that is what is causing your problem. I'd stop eating whatever is new in your diet since the cramps began including the hempmilk. See if that helps.

You don't say what kind of seafood you're eating, nor do you identify the source. Frozen seafood from Asia is more suspect these days due to ever growing pollution, esp. in fish farms. So be careful and read the labels before you buy.

Some people report cramps with soy products. If you are using any soy products check to see if they are organic. The best soy products are those that have been proceed in the traditional way - Tofu, Tempeh and Miso. Those are the easiest to digest.

If you go on a fast, you may smell worse at first, until the cause of the smell is eliminated from your body.

There is definitely something wrong with your diet and/or digestion. It might even be serious, so eliminate those new foods right away and if there's no improvement begin a fast soon.

Actually, you can begin your fast right away, as that should take care of the problem without any more suffering. If the smell and cramps continue more than 3 days into your fast, you may have a different medical problem and may need to consult a medical practioner for a diagnosis.

Best of health to you! :)

6. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

Well I am definatly in a better mood and my spirits are high, I just smell funny. I get the fish from the L&F Fish market store down the street and I think it is from Portugal since it is a Portugeuse fish market and most of the fish is frozen. We did just have an oil spill about 20 miles from here in the bay. (I live right by Dumbarton bridge in the SF Bay) or Maybe its some of the herbs I bought, I know cumin makes me smell, and fenugreek makes me smell like maple syrup. We did get a few new herbs~ clove and tumeric maybe the funk is coming from those.
    I havent added much of anything different other than the hempmilk though~ I looked up Xantham gum and it is a bacteria slime that is fed corn. Sounds gross. Maybe I will stick with organic Soy.

7. skip

ah, the spices may be the thing! Cumin does smell like smelly feet, no? Cut back on that.

Glad to hear you're in a better mood. :)

Still no explanation for the cramps. Gas?

One problem I think we will see more and more of is people living a very healthy diet who by mistake ingest some heavily processed, contaminated, non-organic food will develop more severe reactions.

People who eat that shit everyday won't have such reactions because their bodies are so toxified a bit more won't make a difference.

Whereas we might even see "toxic shock" among those who aren't exposed to such toxins in their foods.

I'm thinking of things like Chinese fish grown in polluted fish farms being contaminated and not getting checked out.

As if the E-Coli scares aren't bad enough...

8. Natures Love Child

Natures Love Child Member

I just bought the book recommened. So far it look great! I have to go out and buy some of the foods, but if all goes well I should start on Monday (7th).

I'm going to start with the detox transition level 4 (the one I scored for.), then go on from there (trying some of the recipes in that back).

I'll keep you guys updated!

9. Rheepublic

Rheepublic Member

I am quite the picky eater and basically eat junk food. It's starting to catch up to me, so I was wondering if you had any ideas of basic and good tasting meal plans (breakfast, lunch, dinner) that will help me slim down and healthy? I'm also pretty much vegetarian, but I eat pork, eggs, and dairy products. I cut out soda this summer and only drink it at restraunts, I pretty much only drink water.

10. rxtravii

rxtravii Member

Try and get away from the "processed" junk foods. No need to go and spend a ton of money on organic stuff if you can't afford it yet. Just try to eat more veggies and fruits and whole wheat grains than you do meat. I've got a sweet tooth myself, so getting rid of the sweets is a constant battle. To combat this, I've been trying to have a bowl of fruit but mix in a few Hershey's kisses or something to give myself a little bit of chocolate when I feel the need for something sweet. Eventually, the veggies and fruit start tasting BETTER than the other crap you ate before. Just try and stick with it for about 4-6 weeks and you'll be feeling healthier than ever!

11. Blair12

Blair12 Guest

Well..I've been doing my Physiotherapy course..Is there any chance of learning about these Essential oils. are there any specialized courses for that. If so, can u guys give me some info regarding that.
    Thanks in advance.