gear advice

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by young_deadhead, May 1, 2007.

1. young_deadhead

young_deadhead I Love Lucy

So ive recently gotten back into backpacking and have started buying gear. I got my pack the otherday and ive been looking at different bags and tents to get. So i wondered if you guys had any favorites or whatever. Ive been looking at the Marmot Sawtooth for a bag and ethier the eureka solitaire tent or the sierra designs clip flashlight.

2. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Marmot used to make some really great bags, but they got bought out by Columbia so I don't know about the quality now....personally I like Mountain Hardwear tents.

3. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Shires Tarptent. 24 ounces, room for two, with gear and a dog. Packs down to the size of a Pringles can and will stay up in 50mph gusts.

If you can't afford one, there are a kajillion websites that will pictorially and step by step show you how to make one for under $50. Google "make tarptent".

4. young_deadhead

You have any mountain hardwear tents that you would recommend i check out?

5. young_deadhead

money isnt that big of an issue but i would like to keep costs down as much as possible.

6. Cornball1

Cornball1 Member

Check out L.L. Bean or Cabelas. I warn you, you really have to sort around there to actually find what you want for a good price when it comes to tents. L.L. Bean isn't to bad in my opinion but Cabelas seems to be more of a camping out of your car and bigger is better place.

I personally like Trekker for a combo of what you get for the price. There is better out there but it usually starts to cost a lot more. If price isn't an issue then check around, there are some warm and strong but really light bags and tents out there, they just cost about 2 to 10 times as much depending on the brand.

7. happyhippie90

happyhippie90 Member

anyone no what da best campground in new hampshire

8. young_deadhead

i ended up going with the spitfire UL just got it today cant wait to try it out.

9. Blue Ocean Sailor

Blue Ocean Sailor Member

hey happy hippie, I'm sorry if this message is getting to you too late- I've spent some in the White Mountains of new hampshire, and I would say that you can't miss at any of the campsites beneath the shadows of Mount Washington. The forest and mountains there are beautiful, the sky is covered with stars, and there are amazing trails to hike and streams to fish on. Let me know if you would like any more specific advice about New Hampshire.

10. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

The Whites are amazing but please gear up. Even in July you can get caught in subzero temps and 60mph winds up there. But it's totally worth it.

11. cricketlind

cricketlind Member

Personally. Even though the gear is weightier in comparison to the tech type commercial gear. I prefer military surplus. It holds up to serious hard use and if you are a fairly minimalist camper it works out to be packable. You can't beat it. The price is right too. I get my gear from www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com and www.loadup.com and a few odds and ends from www.campmor.com for the non-military gear. If you can get to Conklin, NY you can get some great deals at the Eureka factory outlet. If you cross the river right between the truckstops at Binghamton and go west a short distance it will put you right there. The factory is called Johnson Outdoors and they make Eureka and Camptrails. I used to live in town and they have some great deals on some quality gear. The deals are all factory seconds and thirds. The pack I got had a small snag on the side where a needle obviously caught the fabric. I had to search to find it. I got a 30 percent discount for a ding that woulda happened anyways on my first campout. Next time I go see my grandson you better believe I am going to check out what they got.

Peace, Cricket