Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by flowerchild89, Oct 23, 2004.

1. flowerchild89

flowerchild89 Member

I was talking to my conservative friend online and was APPALLED at some of the things she said. Here's part of our conversation (I edited her sn, so its not really hers. Don't try to IM her with nasty things because it's not her...)

surfergirl: marriage is between a man and a woman. it'll always be that way. Kerry's against that. you know that right?
    swedishpenguin11: the least we can give gay people is a civil union
    swedishpenguin11: and hes for that
    swedishpenguin11: and arent all people created equal?
    surfergirl: yes. but they don't have to get married
    swedishpenguin11: well if theyre equal, why shouldnt they have the oppurtunity to?
    surfergirl: marrige is clearly between a man and a woman
    surfergirl: *marriage
    swedishpenguin11: why?
    surfergirl: why wouldn't it be?
    swedishpenguin11: because you guys want to pass a constitutional amendment banning it
    surfergirl: right
    swedishpenguin11: so...because gay people are different than you, because being gay goes against a percentage of the population's religion (even though were supposed to separate church and state), gay people shouldn't get their unalienable human rights, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? <it even sounds ridiculous, reading it back!>
    surfergirl: democrates want to tax the hell out of small business owners that EMPLOY more than half of the nation. why shouldn't they get to KEEP some of the money they make instead of having to give it up the the gov.?
    swedishpenguin11: ah-ha! changing the subject, are we? spoken like a real bush-ite.
    surfergirl: gay ppl can BE GAY. no one said they couldn't. they just can't be married
    surfergirl: why would the president pass something he doesn't believe in. You want a president that passes things just to be popular?
    swedishpenguin11: well he obviously doesn't believe in gay marriage, but he doesn't believe in not giving them anything at all
    swedishpenguin11: he has the opinion for a compromise
    swedishpenguin11: theres a difference between changing your opinion to be popular and having a compromising opinion
    surfergirl: first of all. why should gay people get ANYTHING special. they're NOT SPECIAL
    swedishpenguin11: well if normal people get it, than why cant gay people have it too?
    swedishpenguin11: theyre just like everyone
    surfergirl: because they're NOT NORMAL. they're GAY
    surfergirl: being GAY is not being normal
    swedishpenguin11: it is too! just because the majority of the world's population isnt gay doesn't mean its not normal!
    surfergirl: . . .
    swedishpenguin11: theyre people too
    surfergirl: of course.
    surfergirl: they're treated JUST fine. they just CAN'T get married. SO WHAT?
    swedishpenguin11: so theyre not equal!
    swedishpenguin11: maybe to you theyre treated fine
    swedishpenguin11: just like to you the iraqis are treated fine, but over there they arent so happy about it, eh?
    swedishpenguin11: my violin teacher's a lesbian, and we were talking about a wedding
    swedishpenguin11: and she said, "it's so frustrating watching all my friends and family get married because I CAN'T!"
    surfergirl: cuz she's GAY
    swedishpenguin11: EXACTLY
    surfergirl: yeah - that's WHY
    swedishpenguin11: but shes still a person
    swedishpenguin11: and deserves to be happy
    swedishpenguin11: just like you and me
    surfergirl: yeah - without getting married
    swedishpenguin11: but some people cant be happy if theyre not married
    swedishpenguin11: what if you fell in love
    swedishpenguin11: and somebody told you that you couldnt get married?
    swedishpenguin11: thats what its like
    surfergirl: well...
    surfergirl signed off at 7:05::34 PM.

2. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Around 45% of the country supports a ban on gay marriage, the other 55% is pretty evenly split between allowing civil unions and all out marriage, so a good deal of the country agrees with your friend.

3. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Since when the fuck do people know what is best for the country? Gays should have all the marriage privileges as straight couples have.

If you want to "fix" marriage, do something about all the divorces.

4. TheMadcapSyd

Ummmm, isn't that the definition of a democracy?

5. dotadave

dotadave Member

Bandwagon Fallacy

Just because a great number of people believe something doesn't make it a good idea or the truth.

There is a fine line between democracy and mob rule. We have a bill of rights, among other things to protect the minority from the excesses of democracy.

6. dotadave

dotadave Member

I share in your frustration. I got into a similar argument with my boss and all of my coworkers over the summer. He went on to say that "its only faggots who are for gay marriage" When I countered that I'm not gay and I'm for gay marriage, he accused me of being gay and blamed my lack of productivity on limp wrists.

I hope his trailler got blown away by one of the hurricanes. I quit because of his harassment.

7. TheMadcapSyd

That's the point of a democracy though, majority rule, the majority should not have to give into the minority.

8. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

That is NOT what the point of democracy is. (PLus the fact that the USA is actually a Republic.) "Majority rules" was a playground chant when I was a kid. Still sounds like one.

The "majority" thought slavery was a good idea at one point. It, however, was NOT democratic.

9. TheMadcapSyd

Actually we are a democratic republic. A democracy gives the people the right to vote and choose their own path, it does not give the right to change the way of things are to fit a small minority over a vast majority.

10. flowerchild89

flowerchild89 Member

...the majority didn't choose the president though, did it?

11. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

yer friend's a dumbass. there's no use arguing with em, they'll never see the point....

12. dotadave

dotadave Member

Good thing we don't live in a democracy. Think of three wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner. The power of the government in our democratic republic is limited by a constitution.

Look up "tyrany of the majority"

13. soulrebel51

Whoever says we live in a democracy does not have the right to have their opinions taken seriously. We live in a fascist state, and for those who know what "fascism" really is, know this to be fact.

Fascism, in its truest definition, is what Mussolina thought up; a government run by corporations. Although we get to vote for our "leaders," we are, very obviously, a country run by corporations.

14. soulrebel51

Will we ever wake up? It's worth fighting for, but I fucking doubt it. The majority is retarded and refuses to change for any reason.

15. green_thumb

green_thumb kill your T.V.

Americans are very slow in the progressive thinking department......

16. flowerchild89

flowerchild89 Member

There's always going to be some law, or some important person who wants to make a law, prejudiced against one group of people. why can't we accept each other? it makes me so sad when people are so ignorant. if you ask many republicans why they want Bush to win, they'll say "Well, he's a Republican, and we need to win to keep Democrats out of power." They're blinded by their own greed, and it's depressing :(
    if we can see it, why can't they?

17. Kitaro

Kitaro Member

IMPORTANT POINT!!
    LOOOL :D

18. soulrebel51

Whoever left me the comment "even I'm rolling my eyes at that one," why don't you leave your name? You can't prove my statement wrong at all, because it is the truth.

19. Bare Foot Bunny Hugg

Bare Foot Bunny Hugg Member

Where does kerry stand on gay marriage?

20. gertie

gertie Senior Member

gay marriage? why should we make rules that take away the rights of one group or another to live with teh same rights as every one else?