Gay and getting married...is it an option ? (MERGED)

Discussion in 'Gay Polls' started by Duncan, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

If same sex marriage were legal in your state, would you actively go through with it? Why? Why not?

2. staples420

staples420 Member

Well of course. If I were in love and wanted to get married and was legally able to do so then why wouldn't I want to?

Not trying to be mean or anything.. just kinda seems like a silly question to me.

3. earthfairy

earthfairy Member

i would do it if it were legal and i was lesbian...right now I have no need but if i was in love with a girl, i would do it if it wasn't legal...who cares, fuck the government

4. interior

interior Member

right on! to some extent

5. Defence_mechanism

Defence_mechanism Member

i dont think i would... mainly because im not sure if i believe in marriage. realistically i dont think we'd be the same people in 20-30 years as we were when we got married. who knows, we might be, but i dont need a piece of paper to prove it.

i still think it should be legal tho because not everyone believes what i believe and plenty of gay people wanna get married.

6. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

Love doesn't discriminate and neither should the law.

And yes, I would go through with it. Why the hell not?

7. rocknroll_girl

rocknroll_girl Member

I think what the question was asking - and it's been asked before - was whether or not marriage is the "thing" for you. It's a valid question for many members of the gay community because we often have an entirely different perspective on ANY existing "heterosexual" institutions. That they may not be that great a thing...that marriage is historically a way of controlling women...etc

Many gay people feel that they don't want to get married at all because it's a corrupt concept. That's understandable.

However, just as many feel it's important and necessary. I know I'll want to get married eventually, to a woman. If it became legal, I'd do it legally. If not, I'd consider myself "married" anyway.

8. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

I doubt I'd get married if I was heterosexual, so probably wouldn't now. I'd have to really love someone to make that kind of commitment. My understanding of the importance of gay marriage was not the partnership/commitment aspect so much as the legal issues; that your partner should be afforded the same rights as a heterosexual spouse. There's not much you can say that would go against that.

I think there's a danger that, i/w homosexual conjugality is legalised, loads of gay couples will get married for the novelty appeal, and divorce soon after, making the whole debacle seem like a worthless farce.

9. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

When you are married your spouse has the right to have you locked up in a mental ward for observation..or longer. I don't care WHAT kind of love it is..I'm not giving anyone that kind of power over my freedom. 72 hours with no rights over what drugs you do or do not ingest doesn't sound like a vacation to me.

10. rocknroll_girl

rocknroll_girl Member

Wow, that's bizarre. I never knew that.

Still, there's something to be said for the security in knowing that if you honestly went crazy the person you love the most would be doing what they thought was best. Guess it depends on perspective.

11. Defence_mechanism

Defence_mechanism Member

MamaTheLama, would you get married to someone who was likely to put you in a mental ward for no reason anyway? i spose thats another reason why i wouldnt get married... if you had a fight and they turned weird and used their legal rights against you. (but rocknroll_girl has a point...)

however, legally, if we get the benefits of heterosexual marriage (ie superannuation, life insurance, etc etc) if we're in long term de facto relationship with someone of the same sex, then theres no reason to get married except for the nice bit of paper saying you're a couple. just a thought...

12. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Uh, I don't think you have to be legally married to have someone put an involuntary admission on you!

13. beed

beed Member

So, I guess this one is pretty much obvious.
    Is it right to get married if you know that you are gay. Or at least if you know that you need the 'company' of a man to keep you going every once in a while.

I love my girlfriend, and sex is 'just sex' right ? Plus I'd like to have kids sometime ..

hmmm .... I'd be interested to hear what people think about this ...

14. lovelightlisa

lovelightlisa Senior Member

i live in a country where gay marriage is legal, and it's not like a gay couple can't have kids...

15. MadEyeMoody

MadEyeMoody Member

if they wana get maried its ok with me vut some day i wana have kidos to (im str8 4 the record) :D

16. CrazybutLazy

CrazybutLazy Banned

The only reason anyone is against gay marriage is because they hate what they do not understand.

17. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

You shouldn't marry a woman if you're gay.

period.

18. Wond'ringAloud

Wond'ringAloud Member

I agree mushie. I reckon the others who replied to the OP couldn't have read what he was saying. Being gay and marrying a girl because you'd like kids oneday, pretty selfish beed, in fact you don't seem to considering this girls feeling at all. Are you sure you're gay and not bi-sexual?

19. CoRriNieRiNniE

CoRriNieRiNniE Member

why not. its there decision!

20. Redhead420_23F

Redhead420_23F Member

Who am I to say whats right and whats not..but I think the basis of marriage is honesty and trust. So if you are marrying a woman while knowing you are gay, and not telling her, it is her that you are hurting more than anybody. And thats a woman who loves you enough to marry you. So yeah, it is wrong. A marriage that starts out with a lie will never work..go for a life-long friendship instead.