gas prices and the enviroment

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by SurfhipE, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Shroomgirl880

Shroomgirl880 Member

The gas price in Iowa today jumped almost .30 right now its $2.74 which is way higher then it has ever been.

2. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

My aunt went to 2 different gas stations yesterday in 2 different towns. The first one was $2.79 a gallon. Then last night we stopped at another one and noticed the pump said $3.10 a gallon....wow

3. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

$2.69 a gallon down the street from me here in Austin. It's been around $2.40 a gallon for a while now. I was reading somehting on CNN saying it will likely go up to $4.00!

4. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

It's over $3 a gallon wholesale - $100 a barrel - and the run begins.

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Here in the UK it is 92 pence per litre - thats about 1.7 dollars. 4 litres = just over a gallon. So it's vey cheap to American consumers compared to Europe.

It will inevitably get more expensive in the future. Myself, I think cars with smaller and more fuel efficient engines are a good idea. In Britain, a couple of years ago, the annual road tax on cars under 1.1 litre was significantly lowered, the idea being trying to encourage a greener approach to motoring. Still, lots of folks drive around in big engine cars - and really, it's just wasting rescources which one day will be gone.

6. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

It's $3.19 here, and that's the cheapest in town. The next town over had it for $2.74, and there were lines of people rushing to get it. This sucks. I'm walking everywhere from now on, and I just got my license.

7. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

Michigan: gas in my area is going for $3.39 a gallon now. Fucking hell.

8. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Gas here is now at around $3.50+ per gallon for regular. Yet the oil companies are making record profits. We do need to teach the big oil companies a major lesson. Send a message that we will not sit idly by while they gouge us. If you can, don’t buy gas! Use public transportation when ever possible. If you must by gas then boycott Mobil, Exxon and Hess stations. Buy only Gulf and Sunnoco. We can force better prices but we must be dedicated and deal with some short term inconvenience but the pay off will be worth it. The oil companies will continue to raise prices as long as we continue to pay.

9. BlackBillBlake

Cheap fuel is not going to help the environment any. It can only lead to even more pollutuion.

In the future, it's going to get more and more expensive, and I doubt the price can be kept artificially low to US consumers as has been the case up to now.
    One day, it will all be gone.

10. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

i spent ZERO dollars on gas this week.. and next week i plan to spend ZERO dollars again.

gotta love my bicycle :D

11. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

:cool:

To bad we can’t all do that. If we all did that just for a week. Hell if we all did that for just a couple of days we the consumers could get the oil companies under control.

12. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

i know in the SF bay area they have a "bike to work DAY" .. why just one day??

it's really not that hard to get out of ones car and walk or bike somewhere.

i live within a stones throw of TWO grocery stores.. and all my neighbors DRIVE!! to them.. WHY???? americans have become VERY lazy.. no wonder we're becoming a nation of fatties.. SAD.. really sad:(

13. PIXIEFIED

PIXIEFIED Member

becoming a nation of fattys???? i think its gone beyong becoming.

as for moaning about gas prices bear in mind its about 10 dollars a gallon in england. no shit!

14. BlackBillBlake

Glad I don't have to run one of those supersize american cars over here.

15. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Though I wish we could all do that, it just is not possible for everyone. Things here where I live (for example) are much more spread out. To take a bike everywhere is not practical and in some cases impossible.

What we can do is boycott one group of oil companies like Mobil, Hess and Exxon. Only buy oil from Gulf and Sunnoco. We just all have to make sure that we are boycotting the same companies.

Another alternative would be to buy no gas from any company on the weekends.

16. Starr

Starr Member

The sad fact of the matter is that the people in the US will pay anything for gas becasue they rely on it so heavily. They bitch and moan but are doing nothing to change it. Lowering gas prices would just give people more of a reason to drive around and kill the air.

I live in North Alabama and right now, due to the hurricane, we are paying 3.25 for a gallon of gas...and at most gas stations you are limited to buying 10 gallons of gas due to the shortage because of hurricane Katrina.

The good thing is that people around here are actually trying to drive LESS and walk more. People are DOING something about it, which is great. I wish this country as a whole was not such a gas-guzzler.

17. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

i ride my bike at least 10 miles a day. everyone in their car seems to be in such a hurry.. speeding .. on the phone..

even when something is close and could easily be walked to.. biked to.. A LOT of people don't. they hop in their car and drive.
    it's more than just laziness. my exhusband used to "brag" he was a first class citizen because he owned a car.. WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?
    people spend tons of money on useless crap for there car.. SPINNERS? what a joke.
    instead.. why aren't people using that money to convert their cars to biodiesel? or something else thats going to help them not burn up so much gas?

exhusband used to claim any car that was NOT gas powered was weak and dangerous because it would be so slow and powerless .. he had THREE cars and i was riding my bicycle.. even way back then (and he still wonders why i left him)

i'm rambling.. i think i'm just annoyed with people unwillingness to give it a try.