gas oven

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by ImaPeach, May 10, 2004.

1. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

Ok, strange question.
    Is there anyone older and/or wiser who can tell me if it is unsafe to heat a house by leaving the door of a gas oven open while it's on? I've had it goin for a couple hours now and the house is nice and warm but i'm startin to feel kinda woozy. don't know if it's the gas or what tho..... could be anything really..... i think i'll just lie down for a bit......

2. garf12

garf12 Member

hahahaha Ok I am thinking you are just kidding, if not I am guessing you didnt wake up from that nap. That would not be safe due to carbon monoxide (CO)poisoning because the fumes would not be vented. You might want to read up on the following page if you are unaware of this!

http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

The woozyness is a peachy side effect... don't worry, it's good for you.

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Not a good idea.

5. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

not a good idea but I have done it and it worked. 9 years after that apartment I am still here to post. Only heats the room its in.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

my mom used to do that all the time

the refrigerator and the water heater were always electric
    and the cook stove and the room heaters were always gas.

as long as the oven remains actualy lit there is no real problem, especialy if you have to do this because you don't
    have a heater that is working or working good enough.

it's not very energy efficient though! (that's an extreme understatement by the way)
    but it IS a way to get or stay warm on expecialy cold occsions
    when you don't have any other way of doing so.

personaly i wouldn't recomend it except as a last resort,
    but as long as it can be relied upon to stay lit and you keep any potentialy flamable objects a long way away from it,
    you should be reasonably safe.

=^^=
    .../\...

7. -GOD-

-GOD- Banned

Imapeach,

If you continue doing this, you will soon see a bright white tunnel leading to me.

Dad.

8. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

When my dad was a baby, they would open the oven and put him on the door to keep him warm.

9. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I'm taking this thread as a joke, coz it's summer in Australia. :D

10. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

I've heard that it is supposedly unsafe due to carbon monoxide, but this makes no sense to me. I have never seen a household oven that had an outside vent connection like a water heater or furnace does. If the oven produced much CO, it would be getting into the room whether the door was open or closed.

That said, you do run the risk of the oven going out and filling the house with gas. It is also a terribly inefficient way to heat a house, being intended for only heating the inside of the oven, it has no blower or other system to move the heat into the house properly.

11. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have yet to see a gas oven that is vented to the outside. Most just have a vent at the top that vent back inside your home. There are some stove hoods that vent outside but not all of them. Truth is a gas oven should'nt put off enough carbon monoxide to kill you or make you sick. There are propane heaters for the house that arent vented to the outside that put off more carbon monoxide than a gas oven. There maybe something wrong with the oven though.

12. Rebel_1

Im thinking there could be something wrong with the burner in it. because yeah it does not make sence for it to put off enough carbon monoxide to cause any harm.

13. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

I posted this thread 7 months ago... in winter! What the hell is it doing back???

anyways, someone eventually gave me an electric heater so i didn't have to use the oven anymore :) I only used it a few times and then stopped just to be safe.

New question: Do u think the fan inside the computer could cool the entire house in summer??

14. Rebel_1

Only if you have a furnace blower on the back of it.

15. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Cerridwen the necroposter strikes again...:rolleyes:
    It's winter here so I didn't think anything of it...I don't usually get sucked in like that.

16. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

stick a couple ice cubes in front of it.... it will cool it great.