Garden State

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DejaVoo, Jan 1, 2005.

1. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

Anybody watch this movie? i heard it was good...but i rented it and i didnt like it. haha it was just wasnt funny and they cuss so much that its like so fake. i dont know...i just didnt like it!

2. syd

syd Banned

Fake!!! i thought it was totally the opposite!!!
    I thought it was totally the opposite

3. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

well my opinon of course! i duno i only like really hilarious movies i guess:)

4. hiro

hiro pursue it

I enjoyed it. the movie seemed unreal but real at the same time dealing with the mom and love and epilepsy.

5. puddin

puddin Banned

it had good ideas... but also really bad ones. i couldnt stop laughing when he was screaming into the great abbys.

6. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

Aw, I loved it. I thought that it was a beautiful movie, both visually and emotionally. I don't know - I just loved the mix of things it showed - like the dreaminess of it mixed with the reality (i thought) of some of the situations or the way that the characters were going through such major things, yet they were all still so insignificant.

I also thought it was just so funny - especially Natalie Portman - what a random.

And the soundtrack is just killer.

7. Will

Will Member

I loved it, a joyful experience to watch :) Especially Natalie Portmans character - I had forgotten she could act!!

8. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

I fucking loved that movie. Oh my God. I bought it the day I watched it. Ah. So great. I didn't think it was fake at all, and I didn't think that the cussing had anything to do with it. It's just the way people talk, my firends and I all talk like that, does that make me fake?

9. paix

paix Senior Member

I didn't even notice the cussing, so I didn't think that made it fake at all. I thought it was a beautiful movie, not at all fake, I love that it acctually adressed life, and the way people really feel all the time.

And the soundtrack is amazing!

10. Spastic_Monkey

Spastic_Monkey Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I saw it a couple of days ago, I liked it, and the soundtrack is pretty good too.

11. k-faction

k-faction Member

I also didn't notice the cussing, but maybe that's because I drop the f-bomb in casual conversation a little too much. I concur with some of the others here: I liked the movie. I especially enjoyed the scene when Natalie Portman lets Zach Braff listen to the Shinns on her headphones. It felt real to me.

12. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

I really enjoyed it, especially considering that it was Zach Braff's first outing as a feature film writer and director. Other than the ending, which seemed just a bit forced, I loved the movie. Braff did get some help with really good editing, and the casting director did a brilliant job. I can't wait to see what Braff does next. Oh, and I really liked the soundtrack too.

13. Grunge

Grunge Member

liked it...non conventional and a good concept of what home is

14. MountainGirlie

MountainGirlie Member

I really liked it, but also found the ending to be forced. I just watched it last night after attempting to see it sooo many times. I have the soundtrack though and really like that. Zach Braff was great in my opinion

15. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

God that movie was pretty accurate, as for the cussin, uhm consider it to be a regional dialect of new jersey, whereas those in MASS say wicked, (wicked awesome, wicked pisser) we in NJ often say fuck (fucking awesome, fucking fucked up).

I want a Natalie Portman.

I feel accuratly represented as a state in this more more than another. As far as town visuals and kinds of people and the boredom factor. (and the weirdness factor)(come hang out sometime i show you what I mean)

The soundtrack is sublime.

16. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

I really loved this movie...nothing more i can say :D

17. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

haha well i guess im the only one...hehe. and well i dont know i jus thought the movie was trying 2 hard...thats jus my opinon though. lol. and i thought natilie portmans character was annoying LOL. and wel i never been to new jersey, so i guess i cant relate! i dont know jus not my type of movie i guess.

18. Lima

Lima Member

I agree with DejaVoo, it was trying to hard to relate to todays life. Like all these other wannabe Independent movies, same plot line. The guy is bored with his life, a pretty "outsider" girl comes along, they fall in love, she changes his life. blah blah blah same old cliche. Hollywood is going down the drain if these type of movies continue

19. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Bored with his life? Um not to be rude but the plot line was about a guy with a psychatrist father and a really really messed up past, that includes his accidental paralyzation of his mother. The father prescribes lots of meds to the point that the main character is completley numb to life itself, meeting natalie he discovers an excitement he isnt accustmed to and falls in love. The point is made in the movie that he thinks she changed his life, and goes on to confront the great abyss (literally at the end, funnily enough)

20. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

i saw it. i thought it was pretty good. i saw it in theaters