future of art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Rasputin, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Rasputin

Rasputin Member

what is it? its impossible to complete a painting that cant be compared to another artists work, plagairism is everywhere. Wheres art going?

2. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

Art is like a family tree, it branches off in so many places and creates so many new things all at once.

3. Rasputin

Rasputin Member

theres nothing new to be created

4. somedude

somedude Member

People have been saying that for centuries. All art is and always has been based on past art. Always new ways to interpret old ideas.

5. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Member

it's imposible for nothing new to be created, unless imagination is destroyed.

when ever something new is made, it can be branched off a million new ways.

fair enough there will always be similarities but thats how it progresses

6. AoXoMoXoA420

AoXoMoXoA420 Member

Very good thread Ras.
    What you say is true. Everything has already been done. We are in the age of post modernism, where all "new" art has been recycled from works that have already been done.
    So if everything has been done, what is the point of art? Where is it going?
    Well I'll give you my thoughts and opinion, which is by no means right or wrong, just something to add to the discussion. Whats new about art that is still being created is the IDEAS people have. EVERYONE has there own unique perspective and feelings (although i've come to find a lot of people choose to stick with a extremely narrow understanding of things) to make art about. True the styles we will use have been around for centuries, but our ideas are fresh and exciting.
    So the purpose? For me... it's mostly a political and spiritual thing. I have the experience that our culture tries to make us sheep like, think the same, look the same, all that... and my work is partly a rebellion towards that. Come to think of it, for my AP class last semester we had to complete three works and write a statement to go along with it.
    this is what i wrote:
    My work builds a bridge between the physical world and all that lies hidden under the surface. I seek to create images that do not appear in the reality we experience, but never the less are quite real. My art brings up natural questions that human beings have been asking for thousands of years. Who are we? Where did we come from? Where are we going? I hope to make people’s sense of imagination and wonder reappear. People who see an egg see an egg, and that is all. My work is intended to make people realize how beautiful and complex everything surrounding them is, and to question the reality they experience. What are all these eggs? Where did they come from? Where are they going? My work is flooding our culture with all the things we seem to have lost touch with; beauty, philosophy, and thought.
    Anyways, I suppose I would like to ask all of you the same questions. Why do you put so much time into making art? Where is it going? What is "new"?

Peace

-Ben Thompson

7. Rasputin

Rasputin Member

"My work is intended to make people realize how beautiful and complex everything surrounding them is"

the only problem with this is, the thought of how unique the earth is its only a momentary thought which comes up when mentioned, nobody lives there life in awe of the world and the odds against what has happened here.

8. madlizard

madlizard Senior Member

The best inspiration comes from other people.

I believe that when someone incorporates their ideas with someone else's, something new & different can be made.

Art will never die; there are always creative people with unique ideas regardless of what you all say.

9. ayahuasca

ayahuasca Member

i definitely agree.

10. Prof_Woland

Prof_Woland Member

Nothing is forever

11. longhairchief

longhairchief Member

I believe that new art should be multimedia expression!
    A group of people with different skills can do wonderful things – there is internet and we all can make something wonderful together!
    These things were not possible before – you had to do everything by yourself!
    Now you can make something wonderful that is going to be backed up with mutual understanding of group of people! Each of those people can participate, use his/hers own skills and there you are!
    You crate something that comes out from crazy bunch of people that you are part of!

12. jnbammer

jnbammer Member

"There is nothing new under the sun." -Ecclesiates

This notion has been perpetuated for a long time and in many ways. Fortunately, a "creative" mind can think up ways to combine old things/experiences/influences and put them together into something different or new.