Fundie shithead uses tsunami as excuse to bash earth-centered faiths!

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by EllisDTripp, Jan 1, 2005.

1. velvet

velvet Banned

hmm... difficult to say.. what are the main religion in those areas anyway? Disasters like this can bring people together.. so it might be a positive thing in a way.. same with the rest of the world that started working together to raise money and everything.

I once did a class on "Clinical Religion Psychology" or sth like that.. where they looked at different topics, for example the difference between a 'magical experience' (like having a vision of Jesus) and just plain hallucination.. and also how major changes like the death of a loved one make you deal with religion afterwards.. you basically have these types:

1. people who find strenght in their religion.. they often become more religious in times of stress

2. people who turn away from religion.. because they feel abandoned

3. people who weren't religious but now seek 'divine help', to give them answers to difficult questions.

4. people who's religious views don't really change that much through stressful situations.

I'm doing this without books so I'm not sure whether I'm saying this right, but it's something like that.. religious coping 'n stuff.

2. dutch_diciple

dutch_diciple Member

main religions in the area hit are islam, hinduism and buddhism. Christianity is a, sometimes persecuted minority. But in some areas, they both give eachother a good kickin'. Sad.

3. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I shall direct you to two parallel scriptures found in the New Testament.

Matthew 24:7 "There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains."

Luke 21:11 "There will be great earthquakes, famines, and pestilences in various places."

I did not agree, nor did I disagree with the fact that this may or may not be punishment. I am simply pointing out verses in the Bible that says these events shall take place.

4. velvet

velvet Banned

Yeah true.. although quoting from Luke as well as Matthew doesn't make it TWO reliable quotes.. to me that's only one :) Are you familiar with the synoptic question? (I've studied the Bible in University for a (short) while). Marcus, Luke and Matthew are pretty much the same and there are three theories how that's possible, all including different source texts which they used as guidelines for their writings. Note that this isn't some kind of atheist/satanic explanation, but a normal, general theory from people that study theology. Very interesting indeed.. so you might want to check that out :)

5. dutch_diciple

dutch_diciple Member

you mean the Q gospel?

6. velvet

velvet Banned

Yeah.. I think that's one of the possible source gospels.. I left the study materials of that at my bf's so I can't look it up now..

7. dutch_diciple

dutch_diciple Member

"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." Luke 21:25

8. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

It's better than no home at all. Wouldn't be my first choice, but these kids don't really have choices.

But this is also a question of ethics. The church has been doing this for centuries, and it is a matter of how long society wants to put up with it. This group could still take care of orphaned children without washing away their culture and heritage. It looks like more is being done to prevent this than in the past, and I assume that it will continue to get better over time. I hope, at least.

9. arlia

arlia Members

just thought that it would be encouraging for you all to know that a young man from my church
    called lee beard(the youth pastor)is going to indonessia with overland missions to go help the people effected by the tsunami who have not received any help,he will be there for a whole month with a group of 3 other people!
    i really admire him for this he is a brave man,he is young and he has such a heart for people,he is a bit worried about carrying the dead people incase he gets a dissease,but he knows those people need help,dude he has had so many vacinations this wek his arm looks like a tea strainer!