Fundie shithead uses tsunami as excuse to bash earth-centered faiths!

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by EllisDTripp, Jan 1, 2005.

1. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

Get a load of this idiot! By his twisted logic, natural disasters mean that the Earth isn't worthy of respect, but his "God" who intentionally flooded the ENTIRE EARTH, killing everyone but Noah's family and a handful of animals is! So why didn't his "Almighty God" raise a finger to stop the wall of water as it headed toward the shore?

http://www.illinoisleader.com/columnists/columnistsview.asp?c=21713

Oh well, never expect consistency from a "buy-bull" banger, I guess. This is just one more example of the "Taliban Christianity" that inspired Jerry Fartwell to blame 9/11 on Pagans, Gays, and the ACLU! :rolleyes:

What a fucking moron.....

2. velvet

velvet Banned

yeah.. well.. to be honest, he has a point. I mean.. it's kinda silly that people who worship 'mother earth' bash the Christian God for not taking care of his followers.. the writer is only countering those arguments to their own faith.. it's basically as simple as that.

Personally I don't mind because I don't believe in one God(dess) but in balance, and therefor good vs bad.. so I'm not totally shocked and in doubt of whatever faith when disaster strikes, because I know it's bound to happen every now and then. I think people (maybe including you?) that solely focus on the 'good' of God have problems when others doubt their 'God'? Just a thought...

And as a sidenote.. how can someone think he's a nautre lover and doing the fish a favor by releasing it after pulling it out of the water on a metal hook just for his entertainment, after which, I'm sure, he goes to a store and buys meat/fish? Just eat the damn fish if you think it's necessary to inflict pain for pleasure anyway.. sheesh..

3. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

not to start an argument, but fish have no pain receptors in their mouths, otherwise they would not be able t eat spiny finned fishes such as perch, or shellfish, such as crayfish, or even insects such as salmonflies...

4. EllisDTripp

I don't know any practitioner of an Earth religion (with the exception of the "fluffybunny" new-agers) that claims that their deity(ies) is 100% good, sweetness and light. Indeed, the balance of light and dark is essential to most Pagan belief systems. But the belief in a "Perfect, all-loving God" is a bedrock of faith for the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of Christians. Despite the stories of various "heavenly atrocities" in the Bible (great flood, plagues of locusts, destruction of Sodom+Gomorrah, etc.), anything GOOD that happens is ascribed to the "hand of God", while anything bad is either blamed on "The Devil", or the "Sinful Nature" of mankind.

It is the "Double Standard" between THEIR God and OUR Gods/Goddesses that I was trying to point out. That and using the worst natural disaster in recent history as a tool to bash the faith of others.....

5. velvet

velvet Banned

Yup... you are totally right EllisD (I'm not gonna comment on the other poster to avoid going offtopic).. I responded that way 'cause I'm still a bit paranoid about 'fluffy bunnies' I guess, weren't sure where you were standing but you're absolutely right.. pagans (at least the ones I know on this forums) see the balance thing and aren't fluffy. With that in mind (and apparently this is 'new' to the guy writing that piece) the whole article seems kind of silly because you could respond to that question of faith by a single: our god(s) aren't totally good.

His respons question however would be: why then worship a god that isn't (all) good? Good question. Hard for me to answer since I don't really believe in 'gods' but more in one 'energy' of balance that is just 'there' and we humans personificate that for a more easy understanding.. I don't really worship that energy.. I just sometimes 'pour good vibes in' and when I cast a spell I ask for a certain direction of that energy. Well, different story I guess.

By the way.. heard the saying "There is no such thing as Satan, there is only God when he's drunk".. hehehe

6. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

By this man's same logic he shouldn't believe in his own god.

Besides, any naturalist knows that mother nature can be a bitch. Hell, all of us know. Those that worship nature do so because of their respect and fear of it's awesome power - not because they think it is all good. The article's writer obviously cannot see past his bias, knows nothing about other religions (he seems to think all religions gods are just like his...searching out sinners, all punishment, hellfire and brimstone, etc...) and shouldn't be taken serisously. It seems that he was just trying to affirm his own faith. It is pathetic that he has to knock down the beliefs of others while doing it, but most people don't hold themselves to as high standards as they do everyone else.

7. Mesektet

Mesektet Member

Well written article, though I dont really agree with any of it outside of the obligatory "it was a tragedy" comment, and even then I got the feeling that it was hard for him to type that with any sincerity. It just seemed like a typical bitch-fit article in the end, though I have seen pretty much the same arguements made by atheist to christians and so on...

8. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

we've got god the father, god created things, loves them completely, then lets them follow their natural course. the argument that this is punishment for so-called "bad behavior" is kinda ridiculous, but the tradition can be seen going back to the OT in the bible. i don't think the evil energy known as satan has anything to do with tragedies except for that directly perpetrated by men. natural disasters are just the way this machine called earth runs. only people consider death evil. not gods, not animals, not any other living thing. death is necessary. but we wouldn't be people if we didn't mourn, didn't try to alleviate the agony. after all, even though we've never seen them, we still somewhere inside us consider them family.

9. EllisDTripp

http://www.illinoisleader.com/columnists/columnistsview.asp?c=21822

10. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

How do people so retarded actually get published?

11. mynameiskc

people like to read annoying bull puckey, it sells.

12. EllisDTripp

Well, at least SOMEBODY is willing to give credit where credit is due! :)

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0105/asia.html

Of course, you don't even have to look at parody sites like Landover to find these "Taliban Christians" patting "God" on the back for killing all those unsaved heathens in Asia. Have a look at Rev. Fred Phelps' "Tsunami FAQ":

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/faq.html#Tsunami

If there was a Nobel Prize for intolerance, this guy would take it hands down...:(

13. mynameiskc

lol. i rest my case.

14. mynameiskc

lmao. i just say the WWJD thong, and the first thought i had was "well, THERE'S the reason no one said what he looks like." that's just wrong. why is that everything that is so wrong is so funny?

15. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

I'm a believer in earth based ideals, and believe that the earth should be treated with respect, but it's not sentiant (did i spell that right?)

Yes, the earth was responsable for the disaster in asia.. but it didn't do it on purpose...

I'd be keen on finding out if there is any link between the disaster, and human caused poloution. i'm sure that there's probally not a connection (earthquakes happen all the time, and have done since before mandkind's time), but things such as global warming, which is going to kill a hell of a lot more people, IS directly related to poloution..

All it goes to show is that if we don't start looking after the earth, it's going to rebel... not because it's sentiant, and makes the decision to kill us all.... but because it'll be like shitting in your own living room...

you know?

16. velvet

velvet Banned

There have been rumours (sp?) that frequent atom-bomb testing in those areas have caused the tectonic plates there to move more/sooner than normal.. check this article:

Egyptian paper: Israel-India nuke test caused tsunami
    By JOSEPH NASR

(http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1104981578311)

The earthquake that struck the Indian Ocean on December 26, triggering a series of huge waves called tsunami, "was possibly" caused by an Indian nuclear experiment in which "Israeli and American nuclear experts participated," an Egyptian weekly magazine reported Thursday.

According to Al-Osboa', India, in its heated nuclear race with Pakistan, has lately received sophisticated nuclear know-how from the United States and Israel, both of which "showed readiness to cooperate with India in experiments to exterminate humankind."

Since 1992, the magazine argued, leading geological centers in Britain, Turkey and other countries, warned of the need "not to hold nuclear experiments in the region of the Indian Ocean known as 'the Fire Belt,' in which the epicenter of the earthquake lies.

Geologists labeled that region 'The Fire Belt' for being "a dangerous terrain that can move at anytime, without human intervention," Al-Osboa' wrote.

Despite warnings not to carry out nuclear experiments in and around the 'Fire Belt', "Israel and India continue to conduct nuclear tests in the Indian Ocean, and the United States has recently decided to carry out similar tests in the Australian deserts, which is included in the 'Fire Belt', the Egyptian weekly magazine wrote.

"Last year only, Arab and Islamic states have asked the United States to stop its nuclear activities in that region, and to urge Israel and India to follow suite," Al-Osboa' reported.

Although Al-Osboa' does not rule out the possibility that the tsunami could have been caused by a natural earthquake it speculates however that, "while it has not been proved yet, there has been a joint Israeli-Indian secret nuclear experiment [conducted on December 26] that caused the earthquake."

The Egyptian weekly magazine concludes in its report that "the exchange of nuclear experts between Israel and India, and US pressure on Pakistan which is exerted by supplying India with state-of-the-art nuclear technology and preventing Islamabad from cooperating with Asian and Islamic states in the nuclear field, pose a big question mark on the causes behind the violent Asian earthquake."

Incitement against Israel and Jews in Egyptian media is usually limited to the context of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict yet exceptions are known to occur.

In August 2002, the Paris Supreme Court summoned Ibrahim Naafi', editor of the Egyptian daily Al-Ahram, for having authorized the publication of a controversial article entitled 'Jewish matza is made from Arab blood' in the October 28, 2000 edition of the paper.

Naafi' was charged with incitement to anti-Semitism and racist violence.

17. mynameiskc

so...this never woulda happened?

18. EllisDTripp

http://www.news-leader.com/today/0110-Religiousg-271115.html

19. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

20. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

opportunistic swine! :mad: that last article is even more offensive than the first! how can they take advantage of such suffering for their own purposes and call themselves good people of any faith?