Fuck You, Breyer's Ice Cream!!

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by peacefuljeffrey, Jan 17, 2005.

1. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

lmfao. this entire thread has just completely struck me a totally bizarre.

2. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

The reason I say it's lying and ripping off is because I am convinced it's a cynical, manipulative ploy. They have conditioned people to think they're getting a "half gallon" of ice cream, over DECADES of using that as the standard quantity; and now that they know people are used to paying X amount of money on a container that looks like the half gallon of ice cream, people will not even notice, in most cases, when the quantity is diminished.

My bet is that people mostly just never look at that little lettering that says it's 1.75 qt. because, "Hey, this is the 'half-gallon' package I've always bought."
    They're so used to that being the standard, why would they be expecting a change? And that plays into the hands of the company that is cutting costs without cutting prices.

-Jeffrey

3. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Purina/ScienceDiet/et al have been doing this for the last decade w/animal food as have most mfgs of Folk food.

Checkout Consumer Reports either online or their monthly mag.
    I easily save $$$ > the annual sub.

God gave us eyes/Brains for a Reason...

Buyer Beware.

4. mynameiskc

breyers is the only ice cream besides home made that my husband will ever buy. i've been getting it for him for ages. but i'm also the coupon/per unit price/obsessive shopper. and one thing i've noticed over the years is that it's pretty much universal. so, the only thing to do is buy the one you like.

5. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

Don't you think a more effective ploy would be to contact the company directly with this observation? (if you already haven't ) :)

6. kurdtkobain

kurdtkobain Member

i dont breyers ice cream, its dis-flavored and odd.

7. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

nuh. if you stop eatin everything else
    and only eat ice cream, youll lose weight.

8. Crazy Bob

Crazy Bob Member

Doesn't that apply for anything? You'll be malnourished, but you'll weigh less!

9. superNova

superNova Member

have you tried talking to god about this? it seems like it's a really big issue for you, you may want some spiritual guidance. ;)

seriously though... read labels, and your life will be happier. i'm sure the breyer's is already more per unit than the grocery store brand. it's not a "scam" - they're not cheating you out of anything. now if the package said it was 1/2 a gallon and it only had 1.75 liters in it, then THAT would be cheating you.

10. mynameiskc

ice cream doesn't make my husband fat. though if i even look at a bowl of ice cream, i'll gain 3 pounds.

11. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

By the way Publix's Store Brand ice cream is excelelnt, unlike most other store's store brand, they are not just a private label company, publix supermarkets actually produces it's own ice cream, and all dairy product in a dairy processing plant; all of their other store brand items are simply private labeled bulk items, like most sotres

12. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

I love Breyer's ice-cream...my favorite is their coffee-flavor...mmmmm. PeacefulJeffery, it seems you need to relax. Yes, "it's a cynical, manipulative ploy" and they're all out to get you. If it bothers you that much, don't buy it, write to the company...whatever. It's not going to change much. I personally enjoy Breyer's the most and really don't give a shit about plots to condition and deceive the consumers...'cause guess what? I've got eyes and intelligence, and hey...I can read a fucking label and know what I'm getting. If people are that outraged about ice-cream, let them rise up (ha ha)...but it's not the company's fault. They give you fair warning. It's your problem if you never noticed it before.

13. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

YUM WE LOVE BREYER'S ICECREAM AND WILL BUY IT

14. gdhmomchild

gdhmomchild Duct tape abuser

This is a very normal practice for many companies these days. Many, many ,many, many.....It made the news a year or so ago, how lots of companies are keeping the same packaging and price but lowering the actual quantity enclosed. Wish I could say it was only evil Breyer's

15. sprout

sprout DeadHead

once a dick always a dick

16. WildChild12843

WildChild12843 Member

I like Phish Food, personally. Lol, I can't believe people are getting so outraged about ice cream. Relax, man.

17. peacefuljeffrey

Who says one can't be relaxed, and yet aware of how corporations are screwing consumers?

I thought hippies grooved on the "fight the power/man/global corporations" thing... but here are all these hipforumites saying that it's no big deal that Breyer's decreased its quantity and left the price the same, and left the package sneakily similar in shape and dimensions to the former larger one?

I mean, hippies go chain themselves across a road to defend trees, and owls, and to protest trade organizations... so what's wrong with opposing commercial greed in this instance?

-Jeffrey

18. peacefuljeffrey

I think their ice cream tastes good, too. But what surprises me is that in a forum for voicing concerns about consumers' rights and company policies, very few people have said, "Yeah, Jeff, you're right, they're being profit-greedy manipulative scumbags" which is what I expected out of "hippies"; but instead, people are lambasting me for being too sensitive about it; telling me I should "relax"; and that they plan to keep rewarding companies that are looking them in the face and screwing them out of their money.

This isn't about reading a label. If you read the label and know full well how you're getting screwed, and then you do still buy it, that doesn't change the fact that you're getting screwed -- paying more than you should for a product.

The defense of corporations is just not what I expected to see here.

-Jeffrey

19. peacefuljeffrey

...of additional fat in yer head?

:p LOL!

-Jeffrey

20. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

I'm not sure how to take this.

1. You'd rather see the quantity remain the same and the price increase.

2. You don't believe a manufacturer has the right to increase prices.

Which is it or is there a No. 3?