Fuck You, Breyer's Ice Cream!!

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by peacefuljeffrey, Jan 17, 2005.

1. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

I bought a package of Breyer's ice cream a few weeks ago. When I got home, I discovered that the package was labeled "1.75 quarts," although it looked, for all the world, just like any HALF GALLON container would.

I have since looked a lot more closely, and a side-by-side comparison with a 1.75 qt. Breyer's is nearly indistinguishable from a half gallon of Publix store brand (which is just as good or better, by the way).

I will not be convinced that this is not a cynical scam committed by Breyer's, since the package is perhaps only 1/8" shorter on any side, but enough to make the 1/8 decrease in quantity of ice cream inside. NOTE: THE PRICE POINT IS STILL EXACTLY WHERE IT WAS THE LAST TIME THEY WERE SELLING A FULL HALF GALLON: $4.99!

Now, just imagine if they sold you your gasoline for the same, say, $1.85 as they have been doing regularly now, but giving you .875 gallon! (1/8 is .125 off.) That's analogous to what Breyer's is doing -- and they get away with it undoubtedly because people are (rightly) accustomed to seeing that package and thinking, "Oh, sure, 'half-gallon!' " :mad: I'm pretty infuriated at Breyer's for this. OH, and I noticed that EDY's was doing the same...

I'm planning to write to Breyer's to bitch them out, but I haven't yet.

But in the meantime, DON'T BUY BREYER'S OR EDY'S ICE CREAM! THEY'RE FUCKIN' RIP-OFF ARTISTS!

-Jeffrey

2. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Hell they're ripping you w/a premium for the name alone.

3. stranger

stranger Member

ben and jerrys is the hip cream. their nice to cows as well.

4. peacefuljeffrey

Thread drift! Blaaaaarrgh!

Stick to the "cheating the consume" angle of this thread, please.

And please use "they're" when you mean "they are" -- it's not correct to use "their."

I mean it: go to your freezer now and look at your Breyer's or Edy's ice cream. Did you realize when you bought it that it was NOT a full half-gallon??

If you didn't realize that when you bought it, you should be justifiably pissed off.

-Jeffrey

5. Revenant Phantasm

Revenant Phantasm Member

Ben and Jay's is good but.. expensive for a small lil thing of it.

6. peacefuljeffrey

Guys, thanks a lot. I try to post something serious, and not be a dick, and you come in here and give me shit and hijack my thread and act oafish? Nice.

And it's Ben and JERRY'S.

I guess the problem wasn't ME, after all.

-Jeffrey

7. stranger

stranger Member

maybe if you just fished out a couple extra bucks and were nice to cows and accepted that they dont want no growth hormones or probably dont even wanna get 'creamed' you wouldnt have any problems!
    did that make sense?
    yeah i didnt really think so either. :)

8. the6peace8keeper

the6peace8keeper Born Again Satanist

It took this man 33 years to realize hes been getting fucked on a regular basis......

9. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Breyers is indeed spendy, but I can't agree that it's no better than Publix or any other brand. It's the only ice cream I've ever bought that doesn't need to be chiseled out of the box!

10. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

Put the Breyers on a scale, then the store brand -- there should be a difference. Most store brands (the cheaper ones) have more air whipped in during processing, unlike the more expensive brands.

Look in the cupboard. MANY things give less product in the same size container as the previous size portion. e.g.: coffee - 1lb 12oz instead of 2 lbs, canned goods - 14.5 oz instead of 16oz, etc.

Luckily, most grocery stores have a price per unit on the price listing on the shelf label, so more economical choices can be made, if one so desires.

This has been going on for years.........

11. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

Lol, what makes you think they are nice to their cows, they buy their dairy from a regular dairy farm like everyone else, they have no say in how they treat their cows, and assuming they DID buy from a nicer Dairy farm, Ben and Jerry sold their company to a big corporation, who would not give two shits about the cows supplying the cream, so that would have been changed around after hey left.

Peace and Love,
    Dan

12. stranger

stranger Member

it says on the things i buy the people who they get their cream from pledge not to treat them with the growth hormones. they dont promise anything about other ingredients, but they do say it about the cream on each pint... but there is a good chance your right, that doednt mean they are kind just not using the hormone, who knows what else they do, better than the other alternatives though i guess.

13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

Ice cream makes you fat.

But I eat it anyway. I don't know if they have United Dairy Farmers (UDF) where you are, but their Homemade brand kicks all others' asses.

14. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

Mayfeild Ice cream kicks ass.....

Thats fucked up about the 1.75 Size though. I dont eat ice cream very much, but I guess it is a good idea for them to sell it in smaller sizes. Smaller sizes mean people are eating less ice cream. Ice cream is fattening.

15. kindwoman

kindwoman Sista Golden Hair

All you have to do is read Consumer Reports magazine. They report this kind of customer scamming all the time, and it happens with every product you buy. They like to uncover the truth, it's a kick ass magazine!

16. peacefuljeffrey

Dude, that's just silly.

Putting 1.75 qt. instead of 1/2 gal. is not intended to be, nor does it act as, a portion control device.

If a person wants to control their ice cream intake, they don't have to turn to a decreased package content to do it -- especially not unless they are eating until a 1/2 gal. package is empty! I mean, what's your premise, here? That a person sits down to a 1/2 gal. container of ice cream, and doesn't stop til it's finished, and then says, "Whew! I'm glad they gave me only 1.75 qt. for that price! Otherwise, I'd have eaten a whole half gallon!" I don't think so. This is about scamming for higher profits, plain and simple.

And if you're going to argue this with me, please, at least check to see if your logic is faulty!

And to the person who said it took me 33 years to realize companies are fucking me. How on earth do you find that to be a logical conclusion?! Just because this is the first time you've read of me talking about it doesn't prove I never have realized it before. I didn't say, "Wow, I just realized for the first time, because of this Breyer's scam, that companies are out to take advantage of consumers!"

-Jeffrey

17. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

That's what I usually look at when shopping. Ice cream may be sold in containers that sorta look alike (although Breyer's apparently cheats) but think of stuff like shampoo, it is sold in so many different bottles you just can't tell without looking at the unit price at all! I'm sure some companies there try the same thing, like make a really tall (but thin) bottle so people think there's lots in there... Price per unit is a very helpful tool not to get taken by those bastards :p

18. peacefuljeffrey

To the person who said I should weigh Breyer's ice cream versus Publix...

For one thing, the Publix Premium ice cream I'm talking about that competes with Breyer's, I don't think it's any lighter or more air-puffed than Breyer's. For another, I don't even need to compare it to Publix -- I can just compare it to the fact that before the switch, it cost $4.99 for a half gallon of Breyer's, and now it costs $4.99 for 7/8 of that. They are just opting to charge the same, but not having to give the same amount of product.

I'll just buy the Publix brand. They have flavors I really like, and they're not ripping me off nearly like what Breyer's is doing.

-Jeffrey

19. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

it's not lying or ripping anyone off if they're placing the net weight on the packaging.

20. Crazy Bob

Crazy Bob Member

And if you can listen verrrrry closely, you can hear the sound of me not giving a shit.