Fuck You, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream!!

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Pikachu, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Pikachu

Pikachu Member

This weekend, I came home from the grocery store with a pint of Chocolate Fudge Brownie and couple DVD's I just rented from Blockbuster, and was looking forward to a nice lazy night on the couch.

As I started to eat my ice cream, I noticed a strange "crunch" as I chewed some of the brownie bits, and then a wierd, very organic flavor.

Looking into the pint, I saw what appeared to be some tiny little legs frozen into a brownie chunk...connected to a dead, frozen cockroach.

Horrified, I spat out the ice cream, and called their customer service line.
    They were VERY, VERY RUDE to me, and called me a liar. The phone call degenerated into a screaming match with some guy who told me to go "Fuck Myself" before hanging up on me.

What should I do next?

[​IMG]

2. MBintheOC

MBintheOC We're all mad here..

Damn it 2 hell! I love their Cherry Garcia & the mint 1:(

3. smilez

smilez Member

OMG That is my favorite ice cream when I'm PMSing. I will NEVER be able to eat it ever again now. That is horrible that they were so rude to you :(

4. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

I haven't eaten any B&J since they discontinued 'Wavy Gravy' :mad:

.....and that is a shame they were rude.

I don't think the guys that started it are the owners anymore, am I wrong?

5. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

No, Ben and Jerry don't own it anymore. It was sold to Unilever, a huge multinational.

6. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

ewww is all i have to say.

7. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

When they were sold, I think they also abandoned the maximum 9:1 pay ratio between executives and workers.

8. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

eww. But you know, that happens. It's not the store owners fault. He shouldn't have been rude, but what do you expect from him? he didn't pack the ice cream. Send the little bug to the manufacturers and ask for your money back.

one time I got Phish Food and all my fish were at the bottom.

9. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

wow I misread you.

the person on the phone did that? call back now and ask to speak with someone in management. explain what happened and if you can, give then the date and time of when you called and if it was a male or female that you spoke with. under no circumstances can they say fuck you or anything like that. If you get trouble call over and over and say you will not back down until you get your money back. Persistance pays off. Call again and again and whether they beleive you or not, they'll send you a check to get you off thier back. Keep trying and don't let those fuckers break you.

10. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

mail them too. People find it far harder to ignore a hard copy of a complaint than an email or phone call. Easier to say that the phonecall was a prank, or the email was, or the email had a virus or something and you couldn't view it.

like HMC said, persistence pays off. I would be angry as hell, and fuck, if I knew a lawyer I'd almost be tempted to sue for damages (because eating a cockroach would cause me some mental damage for sure, not to mention their uncleanliness, or that I don't eat meat)

11. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

You would make a "vegetarian" claim against them because of the inadvertent inclusion of a cockroach in the ice cream? Come on... In your life, you will inadvertently kill and/or eat all kinds of insects!

Did you know that because insects in food are UNAVOIDABLE, and that we can NEVER eliminate 100% of them from the human food supply, the US FDA sets actual standards of how many insects are tolerable in a given quantity of food. For a quick example, I remember reading in The Book of Lists that there is a certain number of Aphids allowed to be in a bushel of spinach. They don't set a Zero Tolerance level for these things because zero is unattainable. Period.

I have no idea if this poster is even being truthful about his alleged experiences. We here have no more reason to believe his claims on their face as a court of law would without hearing counter arguments. He would have to PROVE that this occurred to a court, but everyone here is acting so credulous. :rolleyes: We should not be marching out to boycott Ben and Jerry's ice cream just yet...

-Jeffrey

12. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

I think he's more complaining here now about the rude customer service, than the cockroach. I mean, of course he was upset by the cockroach...I mean, that's just nasty, but the customer service he recieved was completely uncalled for and he has every right to call back and complain about that. Whoever that person was on the other end of that phone call should be fired...because being an asshole is not his job. Anyway, if anyone has ever tried those little Campbell's Soup at Hand things, you know that opening one without getting a bit of the contents splattered onto you or your surroundings is damn near impossible...at least with the tomato soup and the pizza flavor (my two personal favs). I knew a girl that called and complained about it...hehe, not really expecting anything, just a heads up to the company about something they could probably manage to remedy...and they sent her coupons for a TON of free Soup At Hands lol....for a little splatter lol...but their customer service was wonderful....as they all should be.

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Start over. Call again, explain clamly that you found a nasty surprise in the carton. If someone gets rude with you ask for the supervisor. Also e-mail a synopsis of the phone call and the resolution.
    I had a problem with ethnic gourmet (when did animals get in malai kofta?) and they said they would send out two free entree coupons. Not the most generous of suck ups, but whatever. A replacement and a pitch for the travel time.
    The envelope arrived...empty. I called again. they did mail out the coupons, but without an apology.
    EG is a Heinz company, as is Linda McCartney's.
    I thought it was funny by the end...it started with a problem with getting packaging right...then a mis-packaged envelope?

14. dhs

dhs Senior Member

FYI - what happened to you is EXTREMELY rare for Ben & Jerry's. They deposit some 3000 gallons of ice cream a day at the local compost facility that they deem below their standards.

15. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I used to work at a large chaine grocery store, once every few months we would have to take all of the pasta off the shelf, load it in grocery carts in the same order it was on the shelf and leave it in the freezers overnight, it would make bugs that came shipped with some of the pastas die, but be visible on the packaging, if bugs were seen we'd throw out all of the boxes that were near the 'infested' box...we had a VERY clean store, they came like that from the manufacturers

16. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I hate it when it happens but I've never sent anything back for finding a bug or something else like a totally burned bit in my food. I throw the bug out and continue eating the rest. It happens; if you consider how many natural ingredients, including tiny, dried things like cocoa beans and other hard-to-check stuff goes in there, it's amazing it doesn't happen more often.

I would report glass if I ever found it, and would not continue to eat the rest, because of the danger to myself (well, I'd have discovered it by then :p) but also to others if perhaps an entire jar was shattered and it'd gone unnoticed.

17. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

Sue them. Put it back in the freezer, take photos, anything you have to do to prove you didn't just stick it in there, and to preserve it for evidence, then take 'em to court.

18. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

There is bound to some insects somewhere when you are dealing with mass produced foods. Just think about all the bugs you have eaten but don't know about in more processed foods.

19. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

rofl :D

i do feel for the poor bug though :(

20. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

It melted!! Then refroze. Or mabey the fish swam to the bottom. *pondering*