Fuck Me I've Quoted The Justin's

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by usedtobehoney, Sep 18, 2013.

1. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

I have been a busy parent lately. Not wanting to rely on TV I've created a ritual of listening to radio at night when I need to work to entertain my kids.

Now I'm the type of person who usually listens to a lot of old favorites and follow a few artists(most of which I actually know). I'm a sort of musician in waiting...maybe for my kids to get older. It was an old thing I did before I had 2 kids.

Anyway, I have suddenly in the last month learned a lot of popular songs when I usually have been completely disconnected from the mainstream for several years and damned if I didn't start quoting songs, not knowing who they were from. I was DETERMINED to keep my kid Bieber-free and fuck if I didn't use a fucking Bieber song to help her understand boyfriends(which she's been obsessed with since seeing a movie).

Then...she asked me if I liked another song, and while I knew Jay-Z was on it cause no one really sounds like him, I had no clue it was Justin Timberlake...

Okay, so I can't really be the pretentious music snob I wanted to be and god I hope by the time my kid is a pre-teen I'm not outside screaming in line for tickets to some boy band.

HFers, please help me to NOT be that kind of mom. Puhhhh-lease!!!

2. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

get them a sonic youth record

3. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Timberlake's music just isn't my thing but the guy seems to be a decent human. Beiber, not so much.

4. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

I was gonna post some gwar, but since you're trying to have something to help raise your kid with, this can be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaUqpnHvua8"]Crash Test Dummies - MMM MMM MMM MMM (Official Music Video) - YouTube

5. usedtobehoney

That's actually a good idea Rainydayhype...I need to get my daughter a CD for her birthday, just finding one with appropriate album art...hmm.

On a side note she's also listened to, requested and start playing on piano Beethoven, Jeff Buckley, Portishead and a few others.

6. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Music snobs are obnoxious people, I really think you should strive to NOT be one. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy less popular, more obscure music, too. You can't help liking what you like, even if the rest of the world is telling you it sucks.

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

for me, it isn't about wanting to think i'm better then anyone. it just happens, there IS better musicianship to be found among people doing it themselves for free, then anything the music industry likes to think it controls.

everyone starts out unheard of, and most get really really good, looooong before they get to where anyone else has ever heard of them. some eventually go commercial, and some simply choose never to do so.

people who only know about what has already gone commercial or profession, are just totally missing out on what i would call a majority of the good stuff. where imagination and creativity, has yet to be over ruled by marketing concerns and appeal to a mass audience.

8. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

did you like the song?

9. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Justin Bieber excretes individually wrapped chocolate bars...Shits just like his music.

10. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Just wait until you have to not only buy them tickets but attend as they are too young to go alone.

I had the privilege of doing The Backstreet Boys. It was even more precious as there were four preteens. :)

Now it really is a good memory. At the time I was not so impressed with the music but seeing them have a blast was worth it.

11. Kinky Ramona

Haha, I would have KILLED (no, I'm almost serious, lol) to see the Backstreet Boys from ages 12-14. I don't think even obsession begins to touch where I was. There are about 4 of their songs that were on their European albums that I still can listen to every once in a blue moon, but everything else is just so...so bad. My ears as a 12 year old must have been seriously underdeveloped. lol

12. Heat

They were over the moon with going. Mia asked for that as her birthday gift for her 12th birthday. So really how was I going to say no? :)

They actually were not really that bad just not my music but to see the 4 kids all bopping and swooning was worth it. It was their first concert so they will also never forget that.

Memories are a good thing to have. :)

13. Kinky Ramona

They never came close enough for my dad to spring for tickets, but the summer after 8th grade (just before I swore off bubblegum pop for Nirvana and Manson, haha!), my dad took me and my (male) best friend to a Nickelodeon festival in Oklahoma City (4 hour drive) with the youngest Backstreet Boy's little brother headlining. It was one of the best times I ever had, even if it is embarrassing to admit. ;) Then years later, when I was about 19 or 20 my dad won tickets to a Beatles tribute concert and he took me and THAT was definitely the best father-daughter date we ever had. :)

14. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Gotta get 'em really young with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJNPSdvjp0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJNPSdvjp0

15. Heat

In 72 Led Zeppelin was coming to Montreal. I so wanted to go and of course I was too young to go alone, not that I thought so at the time. I begged my parents to allow me to go and it was NO. My dad broke down and bought tickets. Poor man, he was into crooners and country. I am sure his ears never recovered from that concert. Like you, it was one of the best memories I have as it was my first grown up concert. :)

16. McCloud

McCloud Member

I used to fucking love Meatloaf's album bat out of hell when I was around 8. Like beg my mom to put it on in the car and scream the lyrics out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPMMitJDYg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPMMitJDYg

17. Heat

Well you took the words right out of my mouth! ;)

I still tend to scream to those lyrics. :)

18. usedtobehoney

Interesting. I was using the music snob thing as a joke. I really just listen to things I've already listened to and musicians I have established as good musician's in my experience, but to be honest, I don't know want to "make" my kids like only what I like or make them think that what they like is "not good enough" to be honest I LOVED No Doubt and the Spice Girls when I was younger and trying to listen to No Doubt a few years ago, I was like "damn this shit sucks". So, yeah, I just wasn't expecting this. I do intend to have my children around real music, jam sessions, music classes, as much as possible, but yeah, they're gonna like some JT and JB too, but luckily they don't know who they are yet either, they're just songs for them.