fruitarian?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by squawkers7, Aug 17, 2005.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

2. YellowBellyHippy

YellowBellyHippy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I don't (I like meat) but I have always wanted to read about it so thankyou for the links.... Im probably the biggest6 fruit eater around though...I could eat it all day!!! Yummy!

3. Spaceduck

Spaceduck Member

Thanks for the links squawkers! I've been fruiti since 2002.
    Making the switch from vegan was easy. It was much harder going from vegetarian to vegan imo. But if you can give up cheese, the rest is gravy (so to speak).

4. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Spaceduck you should give me a list of good foods to eat when fruitarian...

Im interested, but don't really have any idea of what I'd eat besides ...well, fruit. :p

5. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

6. jim_w

jim_w Member

I used to know a 'fruitarian' at work; he also used to drink his own piss. No shit, he really did. He gave us a pamphlet about it. He seemed fairly healthy.

7. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Yeah I've heard something about that also....but sounds so GROSS!
    I'll stick to drinking OJ, and my pot of coffee in the morning

8. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I found this on a fruitarian forum board.
    What is the Fruitarian Raw Food Diet?
    by Dave Klein and Rene Beresford

A typical Fruitarian eats and drinks:

* Sweet Fruits: Oranges, bananas, apples, melons, grapes, papayas, berries, figs, dates, mangoes, etc.
    * Non Sweet Fruits: cucumbers, avocados, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.
    * Vegetables: lettuces and other greens, celery, etc.
    * Nuts and Seeds: Sunflower and squash seeds, almonds, walnuts, soft coconut meat, etc.
    * Also: coconut water, juices, water, and other raw and living foods.

A Fruitarian doesn't eat:

* Meat, dairy products, grain products, bread, pasta, rice, cakes, soft drinks, junk food, processed food and other cooked foods.

The Basis for Fruitarianism

Fruitarianism may appear to be a new and quite radical concept, while actually it is a revival from a very ancient way of eating, dating back millions of years. As you might imagine, our ancestors did not live on bread and processed foods, but rather on the vibrant fruits and vegetables that are available in Nature. In the early 1900's, a group called "Natural Hygienists" pioneered this revival. Natural Hygiene is a philosophy that teaches natural way of healing through diet, fasting and healthful, natural living. The Fruitarian Raw Food Diet is not a fad. Scientific proof is substantiated by intense research and studies on teeth of our earliest ancestors.

Also, according to our anatomy, our biology and physiology, we are actually "frugivores," or fruit eaters. Our whole body system is geared for the Fruitarian Raw Food Diet. Fresh, organic fruit is the most nutritionally complete food for humans, and is the best source of glucose, which is the body and brain's best fuel. Some of our Network members have been experiencing great level of health on the Fruitarian Raw Food Diet (which includes vegetables) for 5 to 50 years! Fruitarians experience superb mental clarity, physical strength and endurance, rejuvenation of youthful vitality, and renewed joy of living. Many have overcome all kinds of diseases via Fruitarianism, including all kinds of folks from children to college students to medical doctors to seniors. We are inspired to know that Leonardo da Vinci, Henry David Thoreau, and Mahatma Gandhi were mostly Fruitarians, or gearing towards that ideal, and that today there are several celebrities and professional athletes who are Raw Food Fruitarians, such as actor Woody Harrelson, singer Brian Adams and others.

The great, past Life Hygienist, T. C. Fry, wrote a beautiful essay titled: "Humans & Fruit: Symbiotic Partners In Life." Mr. Fry wrote:

"But the greatest wisdom of all, perhaps, was that which created the food package (fruit) to proportionately meet the precise needs of its eaters; those creatures who, in taking and becoming dependent on these foods, became the fruit plant's biological symbiont. That this method of seed distribution was successful is evidenced by the thousands of kinds of fruits created around the seeds in nature. Fruit attracts human senses in nature and are gourmet delights in their natural ripened state which ensures their survival. Also, fruit contains no poisons in the fresh ripened state, whereas almost all plants and seeds contain components which we cannot metabolize, hence are toxic directly or indirectly.....Fruits are the natural food of humans and the only food category ideally suited to all their faculties. This does not mean we should, in our present circumstances, eat fruit totally and exclusively, but it does mean that, in nature, that's all we ate as attested by Dr. Walker."
    The Fruitarian Diet Ultimately Brings You and the Planet Great Health

A predominant Fruitarian Diet brings great benefits to our physical, mental and spiritual well being. The primary reason is that Fruit is a LIVE food! Fruit is laden with enzymes, and because of this it is already in partly pre-digested state. Fruit is ripened by the Sun and contains its energy. Fruit stays alive when picked. By eating fruit and scattering the seeds we do not destroy life — the seeds are ready for reproduction for the benefit of mankind and all other fruit-eaters in Nature!

Because a Fruitarian Raw Food Diet is very "cleansing," bringing about a detoxification and elimination process, you may well need guidance and direction. The Fruitarian Worldwide Network of combined knowledge and experience can help and support you on the Fruitarian Raw Food Path.
    The Fruitarian Worldwide Community

9. Spaceduck

Spaceduck Member

*wonders* Is piss a fruit? For my own convenience I'll say NO. Yucko. Sorry I don't drink piss coz it's against my diet. [​IMG]

Hmm... I dunno if I agree entirely with that article from the fruitarian forum. It says they eat lettuce, celery, etc, whereas they're not allowed to eat grains? Biologically speaking, a fruit is the reproductive offshoot of a plant. So seeds & grains are fruits, but lettuce & celery are definitely not.

But overall, yah, I agree with the article; I feel tons healthier, have more energy & (I hope) look better than I ever have in my life.

A+O... there's tons of cool stuff you can eat [​IMG]
    fried zucchini (yum!)
    eggplant steaks (zowie!)
    fettucine w/ marinara sauce (yay!)
    tortilla chips w/ guacamole & onion-free salsa (homina homina!)

But if your objective is health, I think it's best to stick to the raw stuff. That's my next frontier. I think most fruitarians try to do the whole package at once (fruit + raw), which takes a lot of guts. But as with everything, take it at your own pace.

If you're really curious, I can pm you some of my recipes, but I'll forewarn you I'm a sucky chef. You might be better off w/ your own creative imagination.

10. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I was under the impression before that fruitarian was an ALL raw food diet. So my son & I are both still trying to figure out why I keep finding recipes for "fried onion rings", "chocolate brownies" & pasta dishes.

11. Spaceduck

Spaceduck Member

Ha... yeah. I'm the wimpy kind... I still boil stuff and occasionally grill things like eggplant & bell peppers. But I admit the cooked meals make me feel tired & lazy... sorta like after you gorge yourself on unhealthy stuff. 100% Raw is the way to go, in the long run. So are you & your son gonna do it? 100%? *looks up to you in admiration*

12. wiggy

wiggy Bitch

to sum up a fruitarian basically you can eat anything that grows in more than 2's, like you cant eat potatoes but can eat grapes. cause theres only one spud but loads of grapes.

13. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

have you ever planted potatoes in a garden? 1 potato plant produces a big clump of potatoes....only the potatoes are underground & grapes are in clumps on vines.

14. wiggy

wiggy Bitch

naa i cant grow things in my garden, so do they eat things in one then? i always thought it was in 2's

15. Spaceduck

Spaceduck Member

Hmm... I just say if it falls off naturally then it's ok to eat. Potatoes don't fall off naturally (they're the root of the plant), but apples, grapes, tomatoes, etc do. In theory, that is. I know commercial harvesting kinda messes up the whole point.

**edit**

But wiggy, I totally get your point. If there's only one, then chances are it's part of the plant. If there's 2 or more, then chances are it's an offshoot of the plant.
    *ponders*

16. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

thanks for all that info, everyone :)

Im thinking I might try to do this...
    Slowly definitely because although its not too far off from a vegan lifestyle its still a big change.

17. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

sqwakers i love the icon in your signature! its adorable