Fruit Juices

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Spacer, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

When a fruit juice is from concentrate what does that mean exactly and is it better to just get fruit juice that isn't from concentrate?

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Fruit juice is concentrated by being cooked down to where much of the water has evaporated so the fruit juice takes up less space (which is good for freezing and storing). Before it is bottled and sold, water is added to it to concentrated juice to bring it somewhat back to it's original, pre-concentrated state.

Though I haven't researched it, I have a feeling that juice NOT from concentrate may be slightly better for you because the juice is more likely to be fresher and without so many preservatives.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I abide by fresh is best. In addition to enzymes (a contentious issue, my take is they aren't ba for ya) bioflavinoids might be destroyed along wityh some nutrients in the heat processing.
    Any juice is better than soda, and apple and pear juice concentrates are great sweeteners.