Friends, Romania, Countrymen

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ParttimeTurtle, Nov 24, 2017.

1. ParttimeTurtle

ParttimeTurtle Members

I had an interesting conversation today with a guy at the coffee shop who does mission work in Romania. Not only was he super-cool for an old guy, he had a super-cool dog who was helping him recover from a stroke.

I am normally not a dog person or a people person, but meeting this dude made me realize how much it really costs to be anti-social.

We talked for an hour or two about everything from the economy, entrepreneurship, family, college, psychology etc. Then we had dinner and walked his dog around campus (he was an alumni from my college).

After we got back to the college he brought up a topic that made me a little uncomfortable. He told me about his Friend who lives in Niagara Falls, 60 years of age and never moved out of his parents house until the end of their life. He said he asked his friend 5 years ago to accompany him to Romania to help with the Humanitarian work, but the Friend Refused.

As of next month, I will turn 28 and I am yet to move out of my Mom's house and I am still struggling to finish College to my satisfaction. Is it Hip to live with parents, and can anyone fathom living in the same place for so long without ever branching out or stepping onto a limb?

We also talked about how it is our family duty to take care of elderly family, but does this mean staying with them until the (bitter) end? Please share your thoughts

2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Just focus on graduating, and then figure out the rest.
    Not everyone follows the same path in life.

You're 28, that's too old to preoccupy yourself with what everyone else thinks...what's hip and what's not.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I like Piaf's answer.

4. ParttimeTurtle

ParttimeTurtle Members

Thanks . . . I don't plan to wait until I'm in my 30's to move out, but the economy hasn't been the most forgiving & my education hasn't really been the most realistic. In fact, I think the University spent all of our tuition to build a new stadium & dorms. They still have most of the lectures in buildings from the 1960's and 70's that weren't designed for the capacity that they have now.