friend gets freaked out by his own thoughts!!!

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by mart_182, Jan 6, 2005.

1. mart_182

mart_182 Member

i need a little advice about a friend of mine (no really it is a friend lol), so i thought i'd go to the one place i know that's full of knowledgable right thinking individuals, but then i decided to come here instead ;)
    i have a good buddy who loves his bud and also enjoys mushrooms now and then, but he's had to quit for ages now because he gets all mad and scatty anytime he does anything remotely fun. now hes coming to me for help, and id love to help him because i used to really enjoy getting cained with him. apparently when he smokes or eats mushrooms his mind fills up with thoughts that he cant get rid of (yes i know how stupid this sounds, ive already explained this to him), and this leads to him getting all freaked out. it seems to me that hes simply getting wierded out by his own thoughts, that he cant just lie back and enjoy a trip or a good smoke. what do you peoples all reckon i should do as my first great work of psychedelic doctory?

(i know this should probably go in the psychedelics forum but i appreciate the uk forumers opinions so much that i will defy the mods!! muahahahahaha!!!!)

2. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

hes obviously not the right person to do that kind of stuff... neither am i really. Its really touch and go for me because i used to hallucinate as a kid so my imaginations quite odd.... to do substances makes me really odd.
    Just let him be without it... if it comes down to it i'll come over while u smoke bud and me and him munch on sugary sweet and get hyper :p

3. mart_182

mart_182 Member

lol nice, yeh i could just let him resign to the world of sugar treats and alcohol,but hes not too good with alcohol either, he barfed on my head on new years (i shit you not:(). i might just keep feeding him psychedelia until he goes mad as punishment for hurling upon my bonce the cheeky lil bugger

4. Claire

Claire Senior Member

Psychedelics aren't for eveyone.

I won't go into the details but I've lost a few friends to the mental hospital in large part down to mushrooms. Drugs can spark off mental illness and psychotic episodes.

I'd advise him to stop doing them.

Love Clairexxx

5. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Ditto what everyone else said. The guy needs to stop tripping. Period. Sure, maybe he could sort his head out and learn to have a good time, but maybe he couldn't. Given what you're saying, there's a high chance that hallucinogens could trigger psychosis. Where your mental health is concerned, I'd always err on the side of caution.

6. mellow_hendrix

mellow_hendrix Member

thats wat makes u the crazy and brilliantly creative person you are :) ( i think)

7. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

hehe *blush* i dont think they made me crazy i think my crazyness made them. when ever i got ill i'd hallucinate. One time i basically had a fit after hsallucinating all morning and burning up. We were in OZ 100 miles from anywhere. Dad shot us to the closest town and got me to hospital. He told me the other i was basically in a coma dead to the world for 2 to 3 days before i came back to him.
    scary stuff.

But back to the subject :rolleyes: Mart seriously dude, he might not be happy with the idea of being able to do phychedelics but its for his own good. My cousins now a paranoid schitzophrenic because his mind wasnt designed for those kinds of drugs. There not for everyone. Your taking a risk doing them generally.. so to take them when you KNOW your mind doesnt like them is a bigger risk. Also..... those drugs are for fun.... theres no POINT taking them if he doesnt enjoys them. Just support him and try not to do them around him :)

8. x1x1x1

x1x1x1 Member

Hiya Mart

Firstly, your mate is not stupid for getting freaked out by his own thoughts.

Psychedelics have to be treated with caution and your friend must establish if he has a pre-existing mental illness.

Maybe if I tell you a little about myself you can tell your mate.

I come from a very sheltered background where drugs were evil and stuff like shrooms or LSD were seen as crackpots stuff. Many of us however, were piss heads.

I had illness all my life but in my day and culture it was dismissed or hidden. I used to harm myself and although I was very bright I was a social failure, I was either hyper or half asleep, this was when sober. I had a very oppressive background.

Im now in my 30's and have moved 300miles away.

Although Im no psychonaut, I have stepped with caution into the world of psychedelics, i.e. a weak shroom brew, a nice joint or the odd E.

When experimenting with drugs I always dealt with older people who had much experience and I stayed away from the macho people who boasted about them.

Psychedelics are not recreational but us in the western world often take them in a social setting with mates where we are not really comfy. Set and setting are the golden rules.

In my case, they made me aware for the first time of why I was the way I was. They enabled me to see bits I didnt like about myself, but had forgotten. I'm glad though, cos it made those bits I thought werent so nice come into my awareness and now I feel I am healing. My alcohol addiction was also helped massively.
    Please note - you only get freaked out by your thoughts if you dwell on them. Your mates unconscious is coming up during the psychedelics, this is because they thin the smoke screen we always have in everyday waking consciousness. The thicker the smoke screen we use to hide ourelves from ourselves, the more anxious we will feel during tripping.
    The only thing that is spoiling your mates tripping is his fear.

These drugs can be great healers if respected but the trouble starts when they are abused.

They have been used for milennia for healing and divination.

Occasional use of these helps my mental illness (neurosis). I only use sparsely cos i see consciousness like layers of an onion and best to peel off one layer at a time.

I will admit i have not much knowledge of other mental illnesses but i have a strong feeling that our society is at the root of many of them.

Pass this onto your mate and let me know if you need any more advice.

Hope im helpful

9. DoktorAtomik

Excellent post. Most of that is pretty spot on. I do have to take issue with one thing though:

For whatever reason, some people are mentally predisposed towards psychosis. Fear or no fear, the use of hallucinogens can push them over the edge. Such people should avoid the use of these substances at all costs.

10. Claire

Claire Senior Member

yeh one of my friends said something similar to what you just said... i quote:

11. Claire

Claire Senior Member

exactly... my friend is now in a mental ward...

12. DoktorAtomik

Yeah, I've seen a few people flip over the years. I personally had to (very reluctantly) take one guy into accident and emergency at 4am to get him sectioned. That's an experience I hope never to repeat.

13. x1x1x1

x1x1x1 Member

Yeah, I gotta say, other than my own mental illness-severe neuroses, and eating disorder and alcoholism I dont understand many of them so always good to know whether you have one of those illness which is adversely affected by psychedelics.

14. Claire

Claire Senior Member

sorry to go a little off topic but I think it's an important point to make. Drug's can be fun sure, but they do ruin some peoples lives... totally ruin:(

My heart goes out to you on that one Dok, I'm going through this all with my friend at the moment (as you know):(

If a drug isn't fun for someone, just don't take it IMO... Mushroom aren't some mystical challenge that needs to be overcome. They mess with your head... for some this is fun (me included!) but for some the messing can never be put back:(

Emotive subject... rant over:p

Love Clairexxx

15. DoktorAtomik

The problem though is that it's often the drugs that trigger the psychosis, so the person may have no prior knowleged that they're predisposed towards such a condition. By the time they realise, it can be too late. That's why it's important for the people around them to watch out for the warning signs.

16. DoktorAtomik

I couldn't agree more. That's the golden rule. As soon as it stops being fun (on any level), stop doing it. I'm not anti (or pro) drugs, but there's a lot of life out there for the living, and nobody needs drugs to experience a happy, fulfilled and spiritually enriching existence.