friend asked me to move to Vegas

Discussion in 'U.S.A.' started by squawkers7, Jan 25, 2005.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

As some of you may know I had lived in AZ for about 6 years, then took the greyhound bus to NH, 7 months ago.
    I have a friend living in Las Vegas and the other night on the phone she asked if I was moving to Vegas anytime soon.

#1 I already have a job here
    #2 my family lives in NH..even tho I don't see most of them every week

#3 I ain't crazy about NH winters
    #4 I live in SMALL town in NH without any stores/banks (NO BUSINESSES)
    #5 I have no car here so its hard to travel around
    #6 haven't really saved much to move anywhere
    #7 I miss my friend & her daughter

What would you do?

2. smilez

smilez Member

I say go! What can it hurt? Sounds like you would be happier being back out there again. But whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck.

3. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Here. This is the website of our local newspaper, and the "Want Ads" they post. To include Jobs, and places to live. http://www.lasvegasnewspapers.com/lvclassifieds/
    Only YOU can decide what to do, but, since I've lived here all my life, (43 years!) i can tell you, this is NO PLACE to be if you want family. MOST who live here, have none. And it's miserable.

4. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Thanks Matt, I saved that link onto my favorite's list. The friend I have living in Vegas has been sorta like family for the last 4-5 yrs.

5. pandiebeer

pandiebeer Member

Deleted...

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

how good is the job and can you find compatable in LV?
    If it doesn't work out are your better options in the heat or the NE?
    I decided on Colorado between two jobs because Colorado had more locales for me than Oregon.
    Kinda why I never mail those clips to Hawa'ii.

7. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I work in a nursing home right now in NH, so all I would have to do is apply for the state license in NV.
    I've lived in AZ from June 1998-May 2004 so I'm used to the heat. Even when I was in Northwestern AZ the winter heating bill & the summer A/C bill was better then the $422 fuel heat bill that I got this week for the last month.

8. the6peace8keeper

the6peace8keeper Born Again Satanist

If you are a nurse, vegas has a place for you with a very good paycheck, but you need a clean background.

9. Desert Stargazer

Desert Stargazer Member

You could compromise, and try a smaller town close enough to Vegas to live. I am doing that. Laughlin, and Kingman and Vegas are all within reach. Having big bills is something I dread, so I am going for the solar panel, and water haul areas. Vegas is great, but if they don't get a grip on the building mania, they will have worse problems than flooding, and smog. With the new Hoover Dam bypass, many people will be opting into a commute, and choose to live out in the desert. I chose the desert because I must be able to see the stars, and I can see the "Vegas Glow" from my living room window. When I start naming my scorpions Wayne and Elvis, I guess it's time to go play the slots..for awhile...as for Vegas..I say start off small, and find some good friends....you can always just travel back and forth....have both worlds. Good luck to you !

10. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I lived in Kingman from 98-04. It's about 2 hrs away from Vegas...I've already sent in a job application to the hospital there also...I worked at Kingman hospital for about 2 yrs before.

11. MattInVegas

Which Hospital? Sunrise, Desert Springs, UMC(County Hospital) or what?
    Desert Springs has the BEST Cardiac Unit in the state. Sunrise is too "Corporate" for folks like us.

12. cadcruzer

cadcruzer Sailing the 8 seas

1 I already have a job here
    #2 my family lives in NH..even tho I don't see most of them every week

#3 I ain't crazy about NH winters
    #4 I live in SMALL town in NH without any stores/banks (NO BUSINESSES)
    #5 I have no car here so its hard to travel around
    #6 haven't really saved much to move anywhere
    #7 I miss my friend & her daughter

1.trust me you already have a job there too"theey dont call it boomtown usa since 1990 for nuttin" 2. cant help ya there 3.wont be much of a winter in vegas. i lived there 90-95 used to call my friends from the out door hot tub during xmas time, 4.just the opposite 5.you will need a car out there,bad thing is most of the carlots buy up all the 1's from peoples backyards an such "meaning good used car deals are rare" 6.since your friend already has a place that wil help lot's if your planning on staying there for awhile, coming up with 1st an last month rent ,damage deposits, phone deposits,finding a place safe, 7. whatta u got to lose? i would say the pro' s outweigh the con's. go for it!

13. MattInVegas

That's true about ONE thing. IF you can't find work here, you AREN'T LOOKING! It might be washing cars or dishes, but it's a paycheck!

14. MattInVegas

So. WHO wants to help me break in my new piece? I'll supply some beers, and tunes. You bring a bowl full. Here's my glass.

[​IMG]