Fried bananas

Discussion in 'Desserts and Sweets' started by TipsyGypsy, Mar 11, 2010.

1. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

Mmm I have just made fried bananas with sugar and cinnamon.

Naughty, but very very nice :D

2. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

Thats funny you posted that, as we just had fried plantains the other night. My friend dropped them off (she lives upstairs) and the tree lives on other other side of the fence o about 12 yards away.

I saw them ripening right on the tree last week and I was like...hmmm. So I got about 15 of them on my kitchen counter and they were VERY ripe... almost all black. Some of them had some rot, but I just cut away all that and fried up the good parts in some coconut butter.

Then I let 'em rest on the paper towels, Volcano hot plantains is just too much for the mouth. When cooled, I put 'em in a bowl and married them to some walnuts and Greek sour cream.

VERY NAUGHTY BABY!

3. stoney69

stoney69 Member

that is just not right, bananas were never made to be fried

4. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

have you had them deep-fried? holy f***in shit. im salivating as i write.
    Go to the restaurant El Torito for their Sunday brunch buffet. they have those and omg it's just outrageous.

almost as outrageous as Lady Gaga's new music video. but a lot more delicious. :)

5. TipsyGypsy

They are so good. It sounds and sometimes looks a little odd, but they taste to nice.

And Lady Gaga's new video is just weird, I got bored of watching 9 minutes and just wanted to listen to the song.

6. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

i thought it was pretty cool with the feel and storyline. but the dancing was lacking, and the outfits weren't really spectac. well beside the cigarette glasses outfit. and I loooved how it was just outrageous. but it wasn't as good as the production value of bad romance. and beyonce was kickin!!

but anyways ya deep-fried bananas ftw

7. TipsyGypsy

I did like the cigarette glasses :D

8. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Did it get you high, by any chance?

9. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Don't confuse ninitos with the short, fat bananas often found in Asian markets that redden as they turn ripe. These are shaped like regular bananas, grow in bunches of up to fifteen, and turn yellow as they ripen. 1 cup all-purpose flour. 1 teaspoon baking powder. 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Pinch of salt. 1 cup milk. 1 extra-large egg. Canola oil , for frying. 12 to 15 baby bananas. Confectioners' sugar or cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling. Dulce de leche for dipping. Chocolate syrup. Vanilla ice cream. 1. Make the batter: Stir the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together in a bowl. Beat the milk and egg until blended, then stir into dry ingredients until most of the lumps are gone; don't overmix. Cover the bowl and let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours at room temperature. 2. Just before frying, pour 3 inches of oil into a deep heavy pot. Heat the oil over medium heat until the tip of the handle of a wooden spoon dipped in the oil gives off a lively stream of bubbles. 3. Peel the bananas. Working with two forks, roll 1 banana in the batter to coat it completely, then lift out of the batter, let the excess batter drip back into the bowl, and gently lower the banana into the oil. Cook, turning once if necessary, until golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Remove with a spider or slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve warm with any or all of the above.

10. Sweetleaf63

Sweetleaf63 Senior Member

They come from the country Colombia:D

11. boredpsycho

boredpsycho resident grammar nazi

fried bananas sound delicious, but i'm allergic. damn cross-reaction to latex allergy:mad: it seems like everybody's been eating bananas lately too...

12. lilHippieChick

lilHippieChick Member

i love platanos!

13. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Melt 4 t butter in a skillet over moderate heat until it bubbles slightly, add 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup dark rum, 1 t lemon juice, and 1/4 t grated nutmeg, until sauce is slightly thickened. Pour sauce over bananas and serve with whipped cream.

14. Eon

Eon Member

Inspired by thread just went and threw a 'nana in the pan with some butter. Then a blob of Golden Syrup in the pan just before serving. Mmmm ... it didn't last long on the plate, hahaha.
    Don't think you can go wrong with any sort of fried 'nana.

Sorbet might be nice after that.

15. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

OMG! That sounds awesome. When my daughter in law lets hers go ripe, I fry them for the kids and put powdered sugar on them. I must try your recipe!

16. creampie00

creampie00 If you can't DODGE it....RAM it!

try this.....cut up bananas, drown them in peanut butter and nutella, wrap in foil and throw on the grill...yuuummm