Freudian Theory

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by innocentpoison333, Jan 29, 2005.

1. innocentpoison333

innocentpoison333 Member

Who believes the Freudian Theory? That dreams represent your inner most desires, feelings, thoughts, and so on...

2. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

In some ways I think it does represent your deepest desires, emotions and secrets. In other ways, its just you figuring things out or your imaganation running free.

3. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

yeah i believe in all and nothing!

Freud is great to read up on..i agree with a lot of what he says!

4. naturegoddess69

naturegoddess69 Member

I love Freud, he is the reason I got into psych. I 'm a psych student now thanks to him. I believe alot about the unconscious & dreams what they represent.

5. innocentpoison333

innocentpoison333 Member

Me too. I find all that stuff very interesting. He was a bit outragious for his times and the stuff he said, but he was a smart man and I admire him.

6. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Freud is interesting, but I think Jung is better.... Freudian theory is just way too sex-centric... :rolleyes:

7. Motion

Motion Senior Member

8. sleepy_ashes

sleepy_ashes Member

I don't like freud much at all, his theories were all unfounded, seriously, he had no scientific backup...and when anyone in the developing psychological community questioned his theories, he pretty much blackballed them out of the community because he was the leading force.

Plus he puts too much emphasis on gender roles and sexuality. Plus the guy was hooked on blow and stoagies, he couldn't even tackle the demons he constantly damned, yet he thought he could help others!

But I do believe in dreams having meaning, but this really isn't a full-on freudian theory, maybe his was a bit more refined, but in many cultures, pre and post freud dreams are an introspective journey. I only think some of the time though myself. Just like normal thought, only some of the time is it truly meaningful.

9. m6m

m6m Member

Sex and Survival, our stongest Primate motivations!

We don't like Freud for stripping us naked and exposing our hairy smelly Primate motivations.

No we don't; because a toolmaking Primate's most used tool for Sex and Survival in hierarchies,,,is DECEPTION!

Survival and its Repressed Energy:

Freud's global fame came, when by mere talking, he alone was able to cure the many thousands of shell-shock victims of WWI.

What all these soldiers had in common was that they were forced, by the military-hierarchy, to repress, like good soldiers, their will to survive under
    traumatic conditions of certain death.

Freud observed severe and uncontrollable Neurological symptoms within these shell-shock victims.

Yet these unfortunate soldiers of trench-warfare suffered NO actual Physical Neurological damage.

To this day Neuro-cognitive science is still too primitive to offer a detailed and accurate Neurological explanation for this phenomena.

So Freud, the world's most famous Neurologist, was forced to approach the problem from the Physics of its energy source.

Through the science of Physics as much as through Evolutionary Biology, Freud, developed his famous Psycho-dynamics.

Yet to the end of his days, Freud, the world's most famous Neurologist, belived that someday Neuro-cognitive science will be advanced enough to discover the elusive Biological causes of these Neurological phenomena.

I give it another 50yrs.

10. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Member

i think that's what gives him credibility. as they say, it takes one to know one.