Freehiking

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by maturewvcouple, Jan 25, 2020.

1. maturewvcouple

maturewvcouple Member

I love being bare in nature, but at the same time do not want to offend anyone, so I look for secluded wooded trails to hike.

The last great place I have found is Marshall Swamp Trailhead off Midway Road, Ocala, Fl. There is a large field and wooded area to the right of the parking area. It is rare that anyone is there. The arching path leaving the parking area and turning to go along the tree line of the forest curves behind a large field of chest high brush that gives you the ability to see the parking area but keeping you hidden. Along the trail are several paths into the woods which are a Never als ending web of paths among Palmetto and larger trees. Again giving one cover, but view to anything approaching. You can hear when someone drives into the parking area, shuts doors, etc.

I can usually leave my vehicle and be nude within 100 feet and stay that way for hours.

2. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

I have found, that for the most part, that large tracts listed as "game grounds". I.e.: hunting area's, are seldom used during the summer months. There are trails that you can hike . Streams that you can enjoy. Etc in the years that I have using them, I have seen a few horseback riders, a hand full of atv's even through they are not allowed. But in all cases almost every time I had advance notice from hearing them to cover up. Only once did I get caught "skinny dipping"
    And the person did not make a issue of it. Just saying that I had the right idea.

3. maturewvcouple

maturewvcouple Member

Same experience here. I usually go to Federal lands with one way in and one way back out. If no one is in parking area, I can usually leave the vehicle naked carrying a pair of hiking shorts. Some places you really have to watch for mountain bikers especially if there is background noise such as a stream. I got caught once this way, but after I apologized if I offended them, the middle aged couple (my age haha) asked if I minded If they joined me. Most people who are into long distance hiking or biking are open minded about nudity. I used to go nude at OBX on Pea Island and encountered several nudes hiking up the long stretches of isolated beaches. You could spot people so far away you could cover up before they knew you were naked if you saw clothing color rather than skin color. An overzealous Park Ranger made it his goal to end this practice and would hide in the dunes with binoculars. That ended that.

tourguidewv likes this.
  4. nudistguyny

I used to have a spring clip hanging on the side of my day pack. I would hang my gym type shorts from it. I was easy to grab and I could pull it out from the clamp/ clip and slide them of quickly if I needed to. I would also put a small sign on my dash saying that I was "bird watching" and have a small bird book in my bag. So if I was ever stopped and questioned I would just say that I was bird watching and show them the book to back it up. But I was never questioned about it the few times that there was a ranger or police officer in the parking lot. ( by that time I would make sure I was dressed. )

5. bill697cu

bill697cu Members

I enjoy nude hikes in nearby woods. I like to hike barefoot and feel the ground under my feet. There are several paths where I go and evidence of people there but I have not run into anyone yet. I don't know if anyone has seen me or not. In the summer I will hike and then find clearing to lay out and sun bathe nude for a while and the continue on my hike. Nude in nature is best.

Mobius_Stripped likes this.
  6. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Hi wvcouple, I heard in the US it is legal to walk nude in the federal national parks. So maybe this would be an alternative to this try-and-hide game ...

7. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

8. maturewvcouple

maturewvcouple Member

Hi pixy. Although there are no federal laws prohibiting outdoor nudity, in most federal land areas and parks, local jurisdictions dictate the laws. One good example is Outer Banks of North Carolina. Though most is National Seashore, local laws concerning nudity are enforced. Park Wardens activity help local law enforcement. In Florida, the same is true at Cape Canaveral National Seashore; however the local law enforcement has relented on one of thirteen beach areas, parking lot 13 Playalinda Beach. For years people went to the farthest beach in to go nude, but the county posted no nudity signs and would ticket them. Just through sheer determination by the people continually claiming this as a clothing optional beach, the county gave in and the Park Service posted signs that you will encounter nude sunbathers at beach 13. We go there when in the area, but these areas are few and far between. Without driving several hours to get to a known nudist area, secluded trails and lake areas are the next best solution.

9. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Hi, thank you for the insight, I understand. The land of the free. ... (and he same land that just allowed the use of landmines again, though they are banned worldwide, sad)

the_erect_one likes this.
  10. nudistguyny

While nudity is not out right banned across all national parks. It is restricted. As an example The Gateway National Park system in New York and New Jersey (spans both states) restricts public nudity to a couple of beach locations only, as clothing optional locations. If you travel outside of the posted areas nude you will be ticketed or arrested . And there are a few over zealous park rangers that will enforce it very hard. The " Beyond this point you may encounter nude sunbathers" sign is a favorite location for people to take selfies or pictures I have seen one ranger give lectures to people who were nude about being on the wrong side of the sign to take a selfie. We are talking inches of standing next to the sign., not feet or yards of distance. Some of them tend to be a little over zealous at times.while others tend to be more relaxed about it .

Sierra and joker69 like this.
  11. maturewvcouple

maturewvcouple Member

I keep seeing vehicles drive up, see that my vehicle is parked there, turn around and immediately leave. Since it is midday, I assume they didn‘t plan to go parking, so I‘m wondering if they were hoping no one was around so they could go nude. I wonder if they knew whomever was already there was a naturist, if they would continue with their plans. I have thought about putting a front plate on my vehicle reading “FKK” or “Naturist” would be enough to let other Freehikers that the coast is clear. Any thoughts?

DaddysGirl likes this.
  12. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

I understand.

But from my knowledge of basic legislation (I guess this principle is called commensurability) , before authorities do give a fine or even arrest you, you should be asked to stop the behaviour that is undesirable. Only if you refuse, it's the possibility to go further. So, from my understanding you should first be asked to put something on before you get a ticket or get arrested. And also, arresting a nude guy doesn't solve the problem she/he is nude, it only relocates it. The friendly and obvious question "Could you please put some clothes on? - Nudity isn't allowed here." is way more constructive and considers better your personal rights than any rude proceeding.

Some years ago I traveled the Dutch coast with my godson in my campervan. One day we were at a beach as we saw a police car stop at our van, then the officers talking with the other people at the parking and then waving us to come. We first thought they would blame us about our nudity, but it turned out that they were looking for vans like mine because a similar one was stolen nearby. They checked the car papers and licence plates and this was it. When they left they said, you know, this is not a nudist site; if ayone complains, you should put something on.

13. nudistguyny

I will admit that some locations are a little more relaxed then others. As an example New York state ( U S ) passed a law years ago allowing women to be topless as long as they were not doing anything lewd or suggestive. The act of just being topless was no long being considered as being lewd. Some locations within New York passed local laws restricting women being topless.
    And full public nudity is restricted in the general public areas. So I always try to be careful and not push it too far.

14. bill697cu

bill697cu Members

Just to clarify in NY it is legal for women to be topless because of a court decision. Also local communities can't pass a local law banning women being topless. The court decision over rules that and they would not be enforceable. In NY the weather doesn't leave many warm days for ladies to be topless but some do and have no problems.

15. Mobius_Stripped

Mobius_Stripped Members

Whether I'm nude or have to wear clothes, I always hike barefoot. No better way.

*pixy* likes this.
  16. Biggles_Nude!

Biggles_Nude! Hakuna matata.

About 70km from me are disused pine plantation forests. Very cool and calming on hot days. I strip off and put my stuff in my backpack and walk a circular route of around 8-9km back to the car. On weekdays there isn't a chance at all of meeting anybody save for possibly another "daring" nudist trying it out too. A couple of summers ago I rode my mountain bike through one of these plantations, but it was all downhill from the start and coming back was very hard and sweaty work (the trails are unformed or overgrown, and some conceal rocks in the shadows). I must go again this month before our silvan summer finishes.

17. maturewvcouple

maturewvcouple Member

I love going barefoot when the terrain allows, but you do encounter a few Sandspurs on this particular trail in Florida. There are a few big sandy areas where I can go barefoot. There is a growing body of science as to how “barefoot grounding” relieves pain caused by trapped electrical impulses in the body.

I have noticed a senior nude couple hiking at a distance, enjoying the same areas I do. There was no vehicle in sight, so I guess they walked all the way in. They were not carrying any clothing, so like me, they must ditch the outfits somewhere. I hang shorts and t-shirt on a tree branch and hike the entire area without them.

I now have a front license plate “naturist” that I stick in place while Freehiking. I did this so other naturist who may pull in the parking area (rarely anyone drives in there), would realize the coast is clear. I had seen a few vehicles pull in and immediately leave when they see my vehicle parked there. This made me think they were hoping to get in some naturist time if nobody else was around.

18. Tommz47

Tommz47 Member

Personally, I think the greatest part of freehiking is the risk involved. It heightens your senses and makes you feel more alive. Since we are watching for other people and they are not necessarily looking for us, gives us the advantage. The second advantage is that our flesh color broken up by brush and trees in their view acts as camo, while the colors in most clothing sticks out like a beacon. And last, they are not trying to be quiet, especially if there is more than one....and thankfully children can‘t be quiet. The last thing I ever want is to be accused of is exposing myself with a child around.

I always hike nude on weekdays to reduce the chance of encountering other people (work, school, etc keeps most away). Once in a great while, I see someone and have to retreat to where my shorts are stashed or I just maneuver around and avoid them. ...and very seldom, but only a handful of times over the last two decades, I will encounter someone doing exactly what I am doing. I am really surprised this doesn‘t happen much more often.

19. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We live in the tropics. Ideal weather for naturist.
    Living in the rainforest has it’s challenges. We are nudist, but hiking nude is not advised. Our 45 acre compound in raw rugged and beautiful. You must wear clothing or risk getting bitten by all sorts of insects. But nudity for us is everyday.

DaddysGirl and Mobius_Stripped like this.
  20. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I met one! I forgot about that.
    About a month ago walking Harper pass track in NZ. Pass a man walking the other way entirely naked. Couldn't process in time or I would have said "cool man!". I'm happy to wander around valleys and places but not on the trail.

Mobius_Stripped and Nebulous like this.