Free will without proof isn't really free will

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by astralgoldfish, Jan 25, 2005.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

2 things there - christians themselves send cards with 'Merry X mas' printed on them. So abbreviating Christ to X is hardly insulting.

But if they are insulted by such, then really, they need to look again at their whole understanding. To be so attached to the form of language doesn't show a very high degree of enlightenment. Anyone who would be insulted by this must live in a tiny and very narrow universe.

2. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

it's only offensive if someone is deliberately TRYING to be offensive. it that case, it's more annoying and childish than anything else. i use "x" to stand in for christ's name myself. i thought it originated as a way of sybolizing his crucifixion.

3. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

rofl, if I wasn't in a library...

Thank God that I can call someone a xian as an insult. Praise be to Allah in the highest for this simple and beautiful gift. Allah ya xians, here my words!!!

'So I quoted the bible at you (just the way Satan, I mean, I like to)'. Kharakov

No. I apply a different set of standards to every post I make. In addition, every post that I read I apply a different standard to as well, after all, every day is a new day. My girlfriend was just yelling at me about this last night... heheh.

me "I never said only kc lacked understanding. I said the only lack of understanding shown was kc's own, which is an entirely different thing. "

Saying 'the only lack of understanding shown was theirs' was true in this case. If I had said that KC lacks understanding, it could mean many things. My statement 'the only lack of understanding shown was theirs' refered to the original statement which I refuted (for no other reason than the love of argument).

4. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

Thank God that I can call someone a xian as an insult. Praise be to Allah in the highest for this simple and beautiful gift. Allah ya xians, here my words!!!

'So I quoted the bible at you (just the way Satan, I mean, I like to)'. Kharakov

Allah u akbar

5. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

Hot dogs and a snackbar,
    and a slurpy full of juice...

6. mynameiskc

jesus will bring the home brew. always a good bartender, that jesus.

[​IMG]

7. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

I believe the vagueness of The Bible's authenticity is what gives us true free will.

Here's an analogy:

Suppose I'm a kindly billionaire and I want to buy everyone in my town a car. If I asked each person if they wanted a free car or not, their decision would hardly be free will! No one would say no; the choice is easy.

But suppose I told just a few people about the free cars. They would spread the word around town, and some people may think it wasn't a real offer. The people who turned up outside my mansion to collect their car would have made much more of a free decision. And for it, I would be very pleased that they had put their faith in me, instead of denying my kindness. And to be honest, if I'm giving people free cars I would appreciate people making a little effort to come and get their cars instead of expecting me to drive it to their doors.

The word of God is just like that. It's passed down from generation to generation, and it's not like someone putting a gun to your head and saying "beleive in Christ or die" — it's a lot more subtle.

It's quite easy to deny God's word, which makes it possible for some of us to scoff at it and never read The Bible, and for some of us to open our minds, pray to God, and let him show himself to us. If you're looking for hard evidence you may never find it, but then again you just might be lucky. I found it.

8. mynameiskc

this is why you're totally the man, dizzy though you may be.

9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

But unfortunately for previous generations, it has all too often been a case of 'believe or die'. And not only believe in a general way, but in the precise form of the church's dogmas.

10. mynameiskc

yep. christ would have been ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED that his intentions got twisted into a new legalistic code for the new pharisees. so sad.

11. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

You remember me! :)

Thanks, KC.

12. mynameiskc

of course i remember you! where have you been?