Free Tibet!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Protest' started by mellow jello, Jun 1, 2006.

1. mellow jello

mellow jello Member

Tibet has been under Chinese control for waaaaaaaaay too long. IT SOHOULD BE FREE!!!!!!
    why?
    because....
    1.It was the Buddist equivalent to Mecca, The Vatican, or Jarusalem.

2. The Dhali Lama; the Buddist equivalent to The Pope used to live there; but he's been exiled in India.

3. When Chairman Mao was dictator; he imprisoned Tibetan monks. Why? BECAUSE THEY WERE BUDDISTS! WHAT THE FUCK?

many protests have been held by Tibetans alone, but it hasn't helped.

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT TIBET CAN'T DO ALONE.

2. Any Color You Like

Any Color You Like Senior Member

Yeah... This Tibet thing is a big problem. I bet the governments of occidental countries don't do pressures on China's government because they are as afraid of China as they are of the U.S.A. China produces EVERYTHING! Look around you, it's all made in China! We must try to boycott them...but it's practically impossible!

3. sitareric

sitareric Banned

i saw i interview with the Dalai Lama, and he was saying that it wouldnt be better to fight the occupation, but rather work out more individual rights with china, and move tibet further into the new millenium... etc..

4. mellow jello

mellow jello Member

Well I'm an American and if the rest of the world and America pressured China; then it would work. But our relation with the rest of the world are terrible thanks to Bush.

5. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Yes, since our government sees fit to invade, conquer and occupy TWO sovereign nations, it is hardly in any credible position to be issuing ultimatums concerning the similar practices of other powers.

The beacon that our nation was founded to provide to the world (by way of principled example) has long been dimmed (if not extinguished) by neo-colonialist, corporate-serving military expansionism in the best traditions of the 19th century and earlier. Absolute power corrupts absolutely!

6. mellow jello

mellow jello Member

No, I don't mean invasion. I mean turn against China; try to negotiate it's freedom. Like what happend when the world turned against South Africa in the 1970's to end Apartheid.

7. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

I think you missed my point entirely.

8. Love Fest1969

Love Fest1969 Classic Rocker

I saw Richard Gere interviewing the Dalai Lama WTF was that about?

9. Peterness

Peterness Member

I'm wearing my free tibet t-shirt as I type this...

The Tibet issue really does do a wonderful job at showing just how hypocritical governments are...So Bush and Blair really want to spread democracy? Well 1 million people have been tortured and murdered since the invasion and many more Tibetans are sent to the Gulag every week to be tortured and executed. Bear in mind this is in a nation of around only 6 million. Why don't they invade China in the name of 'democracy'?
    Tibetans have absolutely no rights in Tibet, if you are found with any photos of the Dalai Lama you are sent to prison or worse.
    The Chinese have destroyed most of the monastaries and many important scriptures.

It's tragic, i've been to Dharamsala and Nepal and spoken to many Tibetan refugees about there ordeals...Some awful stories.

As I was taught how to meditate by Tibetan monks in Nepal and i'm a follower of the dharma it's very hard for me not to feel anger at China for what they have done to Tibet...It's not just a matter of occupation, it's more sinister. They are trying to systematically destroy the entire culture and history of the nation by demoralising Tibetans through sheer terror and tyranny...What was there crime?

The world just doesn't care though. The media obviously don't feel it's a worthwhile 'story' so you never hear anything about the ongoing Tibet genocide (and yes, it is genocide)...It's very very sad. It ranks as one of the biggest injustices in the world in my opinion...Also a reason i'll never ever travel to China in a million years.

10. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I agree with that. This kind of approach would do more for the cause of liberation in the long run. It may even help with easing social restrictions in China as well.

11. Peterness

Peterness Member

I agree, the Dalai Lama made the right decision in asking Tibetans not to violently fight against the occupation.
    He isn't asking China to grant total independence to Tibet, he is only requesting that they have full civil rights and remain part of China...That shows just how amazing the guy is. To forgive them for after all theyve done and continue to do shows an unearthly amount of compassion.

12. Chinese Troubadour

Chinese Troubadour Member

I'm Chinese, but I do support Tibetan self-rule. Tibet has been oppressed by communist for 50 years. But the problem is not only Tibet, communist has usurped China for more than 50 years, when they collapse, Tibet has hope, and Chinese has hope!

13. Asadullah

Asadullah Member

I think in the long run Occupation might be good for Tibet. China is the worlds fastest growing economy and its even suppost to be china's "century". This will bring loads of wealth to the chinese/tibetian people. As a former Mahayana Buddhist I learned about Tibet at a very young age and I say its the reason i am so socially aware as an adult. I think the Dalai Llama sees this as a great oppurtunity to develop patience and forgiveness and I believe he is only looking to keep the Tibetian religion/culture in tact as a part of china and not an independant state.

14. mushroomherb

mushroomherb Member

dude come on! everyone knows tibet should be free!!!!!!!! but i here that everywhere i go: on cars, in windows, on shirts, on tv, radio, and i would like one place where i dont have to here it again....(srry im kinda making an ass of myself)

15. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Destroying other religions and beliefs is what every political system has always been based on. Look at the history of Rome and England.

You can't base a revolution of ideas of a religion and hope that it remains for all times. The only thing that can maintain an existence for anything like that would be an acknowledgement of individual respect and rights.

Religion and politics can always be governed controlled by the powerful.

16. _chris_

_chris_ Marxist

Lets just not suck the dalai lamas dick though, ocnsidering he was a slave keeping theocrat, who kicked all the chinese out of his country

17. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

1. Wrong. Buddhists in, for example, Thailand practise a very different kind of Buddhism than Tibetan Buddhists and therefor Tibet or Lhasa is by no means the Buddhist Mecca, Vatican or Jerusalem.

2. Wrong again. The Dalai Lama is much more than the Buddhist equivalent of the Pope.

3. Partly wrong again. And besides that, the monks themselves were not as peaceful and innocent as everyone likes to believe.

But yeah, Free Tibet. Or at least give the Tibetan people self-control of their 'country'.
    One of the saddest thing I saw in my travels was all the Chinese people taking over Lhasa and other 'major' cities in Tibet. I believe the Han Chinese make up already 50% of Lhasa and 99% of the shops are owned and/or controlled by Chinese. To make things worse, there is a railway track being build from China into Tibet so even more Chinese can invade Tibet. This is cultural and ethnical homicide.
    They fucking make Tibet a Chinese province, complete with the terrible Communist architecture. End of my rant.

The moral of this story is; China is too powerful, governments will not do anything because they need and fear China.

18. gardener

I agree, religion should never be an excuse for war or violence. But historically it's been the battle cry on many fronts. And politicians use this for their own means which usually have no basis in religion, but rather allow for the accummulation of wealth for a few at the expense of many. Just think of that-- those guys are sitting in the comfortable sitting rooms drinking brandy and smoking expensive cigars while they watch the youth/children of the poor being sacrificed for their goals. Got love their hutzpah, and how long are the little people going to play into their little games. The little people lose their most valuable commodity, their children their youth, their future. And what's the return?

19. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

Wow... time warp! It's 1996 again, I am in grade 12, listening to REM and wearing my Free Tibet shirt.

Isn't it funny how some causes just don't go away? Not saying that this should go away by any means... but it would be nice if something had happened back in the day when the cause actually had some publicity and public support.

Don't you know the "in" cause right now is DarFur? I know because Oprah told me so. The world doesn't care about Tibet anymore....

20. gardener

When I see the Dalai Lama in news coverage, he's not suffering, he's clean well cared for comfortable, why should anyone do a call for arms for someone that reaps monetary returns for speaking engagements, and lives as comfortably as he seems to?

Certainly if you agree with his precepts follow him, but don't expect others to fight his battles for him. When he stands on the front lines and fights the good fight perhaps his followers will raise up and follow, and then perhaps Tibet will be free once more. I will fight for no one. I will demand respect for myself and will attempt to protect those that can not protect themselves, but only in as much as their lives are in jeopardy.

Do not try to include me in a ploy to increase your political and financial or religious power. I can not be bought. I will value all as individuals and living beings seperately, do not ask me to swear and allegiance to a group.