Free speech EU style

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Nov 3, 2018.

1. You're not allowed to "disparage religious doctrines"? What if they're goddamned stupid? I don't even know what to say...I hope the US never reaches THIS level of absurdity.

Okiefreak likes this.
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

She did a lecture or two back in 2009 talking about Muhammed when he was in his 50s marrying a 6 yr old girl, asking what is that if not Pedo?

A reporter in the audience complained to police and she got slapped with a fine, a conviction. This is in Austria, Europe, Appealed the decision in Austria and just recently The European Court Human Rights Commision on the basis of its free speech for her right to say that, this is in Austria not like Saudi Arabia

This kind of shit just would not happen in my country, and if it happened in the US, it would blow up in the media like no tomorrow

And I seriously doubt even in Austria it would have happened with any other religion

soulcompromise likes this.
  3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

A lot also depends on the context. This woman was giving a lecture and somebody in the audience took offense and complained. Clearly, she was exercising what would be protected speech in the U.S. If she had pulled a Lauren Southern, gone up to some Muslims in the street in the U.S.and said "Muhammad was a pedophile", that might be fighting words, which the courts don't consider protected speech. They are words that are not so much intended to convey ideas as to start a fight. That doesn't seem to be the situation in the Austrian case.

4. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I look into to this expecting it to make more sense...

But no... No this is all pretty silly.

The crime here isn't so much the court decision as much as we won't stop hearing about this fucking ruling for years to come.

Irminsul likes this.