frankenstein by mary shelley

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by alex714, Sep 28, 2004.

1. alex714

alex714 To the Left

who do you sympathize more for: victor frankenstein or his creation?

2. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

His creation. Frankenstein's arogance caused his downfall.

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

I agree.........

4. dara325

dara325 Member

i sympathize more with frank then the doctor, but then the doctor is more or less affected emotionally by his creation, so i think both of them are equal

5. Rael

Rael The Ruiner

I feel for Victor because of his madness. To create something good for the world with the best of intentions that became clouded by mania and his pure lust for something more. I feel for his creation because he is like a child all alone in a world that hates him with a father that abandoned him. I would probably say Victor, mainly because to me the story always reminded me of an artist (Victor) struggling with the desire to create (Frankenstein) and losing all that he once knew and loved to the exact thing he was trying to end, death.

6. GreenBird

GreenBird Member

I love the book Frankenstein! I feel more sorry for his creation, he was so miserable and lonely.

7. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

neither. both are total pricks.

8. Bella_Donna

Bella_Donna *Femme Fatale*

I absolutely adore the book Frankenstein. It's beautifully crafted. Anyways, naturally, my pathos falls with the poor creation. I just finished writing a paper on Victor, about how the creation symbolizes his death and Elizabeth symbolizes his life. It was a lot of work, but I got to reread the novel a few times and the beauty of the tale hits me everytime. One of my favourites!

9. MatrimCauthon

MatrimCauthon Member

Read the Dean Koontz remake of Frankenstien ( Three out so far, one more due ). You'll sympathize more for... the monster... without a doubt. Great books, <3 Franky.

10. Noctifer

Noctifer Member

The creation, as he didnt get much of a choice.

11. Wanttobenude-Keith

Wanttobenude-Keith Member

I pity Herr Victor Frankenstein more then his creation because his own curiousity drove him to create life which spelt death to all he loved (himself included).

12. Oh So strangE indeeD

Oh So strangE indeeD Member

Neither. They both could have made choices to stop their demise. Victor could have obviously been a little less reckless in creating the monster, and based on the way the monster spoke, he was definitely intelligent enough to realize that killing so many so mindlessly had no point. If I had been the monster, I would have stolen a bunch of equipment and tried to create a companion of my own.

13. dubsmiley420

dubsmiley420 Member

this book is one of my top 5 favorites, best movie adaptation.....YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

14. ER_1015

ER_1015 Member

Although Herr Frankenstein himself is certainly pitiful for the mess his life descends into, he did bring it upon himself. His creation, on the other hand, was bombarded with disgust and exiled from humanity merely because of what he was, and of course this made him into a monster. People tend to become what you treat them like (stereotype threat, oh no!)

"My heart was fashioned to be susceptible of love and sympathy, and when wrenched by misery to vice and hatred, it did not endure the violence of the change without torture such as you cannot even imagine."

- Frankenstein