for all you WHO and CREAM fans......

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by deezee, May 24, 2004.

1. deezee

deezee Member

thought some of you might be interested in the line up of a show i saw when i was 15. if you don't know who he was, murray the k was the biggest dj in new york city. he was sometimes called the "5th beatle" (mostly by himself). since the early 60's he did these rock shows at movies theaters in ny. originally they were in brooklyn but his one was moved to manhattan. each show had a huge line-up of current stars. in the front page of the program that i saved here, you'll see who was at this show for about $3.50. it was held in a large movie house and we were in the 3rd row of the first show. i say "first show" as there were (believe it or not), up to 6-7 shows A DAY. each group came out and did 1-3 songs depending on their rank in popularity at the time. the head liner, in this case mitch ryder, did about 4-5 songs. this was the first time that the WHO or CREAM had ever performed on stage in america. pete towhshend smashed his guitar at this first show and we thought he was totally nuts. we booed them cause we wanted mitch ryder to aome out and sing "devil with a blue dress". also note that simon and garfunkle were on the bill, not to mention all the great motown people and so many others.....all for under $4.00. i have to believe that it's the last time "the hardly worthit players" got billing over anyone no less the who and cream....

deezee

[​IMG]

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Wow... :eek:

Simon and Garfunkel's name is so tiny... hehe..they aren't even near the top. That must have been quite a while ago, no offense.... All for $4!! Damn.

3. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

Wow :eek: btw. recently I saw a guitar played and signed by the Who sold at eBay for only 600$ (starting price 200)... Although I don't have 600$ to spend just for a guitar to hang it over my desk I think it's still a very low price, isn't it?

4. Micro

Micro Member

I'm always amazed looking at old concert posters. Back then you certainly got more bang for your buck. I stopped going to concerts cuz I'm tired of paying high prices for shitty seats.

Thanks for sharing deezee

5. MushroomDreams

MushroomDreams Senior Member

I don’t have the poster but I remember seeing The Strawberry Alarm Clock and The Kinks for $1 at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium. Concerts were cheep and there was something good just about every month.

6. teepi

teepi living my dream

Hey MD...

I too saw the kinks....but at the Hollywood Paladium....can't remember who they played with...the year was 1971 and that probably is why I can't remember who they played with...I do remember that it was 4.00 and I only had 2.00 and a really hot freak outside helped me out and I ended up in Pasadena with him for a week.
    We went to visit his aunt...she was about 50 and she went around her land topless so I joined her and we had a blast...(from what I can remember).
    This was just the start of my love of nekidness.
    teepi

7. Bellfire01

Bellfire01 I'll say anything

I have a cream album and the one hit song of the strawberry alarm clock. They(The Strawberry Alarm Clock) made more than one song but Incents and Pepperment was their only big hit. I learn all kinds of cool stuff. Did you know that Stevie Wonder was in Jimi Hendrix's band at one time? Don Johnson was the last person to see Terry Kath alive. Janis Joplin dated Kris Kristofftersen. I've got a tibit I just learned a couple of weeks ago. Gene Simmons dated bothe Cher and Diana Ross. (I love to share this stuff.) ;)

8. MushroomDreams

MushroomDreams Senior Member

Bellfire01, I’ve got a little bit of trivia for you.

I had a friend who met Janis Joplin at a party in Hollywood. My friend was very beautiful and she told me that Janis tried to pick up on her at the party. So I guess Janis Joplin was bi.

The Strawberry Alarm Clock had a few hits but Incents and Pepperments was their biggest. I met them in ’69 and they were already washed up by then. Incents and Pepperments came out in ’67.

A really great band to check out from the ‘60’s is Spirit.

9. teepi

teepi living my dream

AWWW MAN, that's one of the best things about this board.....you totally forget about something...then someone pops up with it and the flashbacks go nutty.

Spirit...Nature's WAy....*~it's natures way of telling you, somethings wrooooong~*,
    "Mr. Skin" was cool too,
    And "Morning will come",

I'm off to my library site to see if I can order me some SPIRIT!!!

thanks for the memory MD,
    teepi

10. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

First shows... My older sisters took me to see some band back when I was a little kid, I was so young I don't remember any real details, so it was probably around 1966 or so. I just remember that I couldn't see anything over all the Tall People, it was outdoors and hot, and that I was misbehaving and they were not very happy to have brought me along. My mother told me years later that the band was either Paul Revere & The Raiders, or Herman's Hermits, but my sisters won't own up to that!

The first show I went to on my own was in late '76 or early '77, Target (a blues-rock band from Memphis), then Bob Seger (he did Sunburst and that was quite good), then Black Sabbath. I'd smoked weed a bunch of times before, with no impressive effects, but that night... wow! I think the ticket was $5.50 if I remember right, or about two hours' work at minimum wage.

Best show I ever saw was Frank Zappa, I went to that show without realizing what a treat I was in for. Nobody comes close to matching that, except perhaps Mike Keneally.

Worst show ever? The Who. Let's just say it was a Very Very Bad Night.

11. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

The Who worst ever... awww i love the who id also love to hear that story...

but man im jealous to death. shows nowadays i cant afford its like hundreds of dollars... DAMN!!!!!

JEALOUS!!! :(

12. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The night I saw them was their 3 December 1979 show at what was then called Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, OH. A writer named Larry Nager probably wrote the best short description, it's online, just scroll down to the section entitled Crowd Control after clicking here.

My own account is pretty poorly-written but it's located here. In fairness to the band I should say that the band played really well, almost too good, nothing sloppy, Kenny Jones was as good as I'd ever imagined Keith Moon to be. The song "Sparks" put chills down my spine, and is the soundtrack to my own memory of that night.

In my home town, in countless ways, that was the night The Seventies truly ended.

13. deezee

deezee Member

i still have the rolling stone magazine that has the article of that tragic cincy riverfront who show.that was the first big rock tragedy after altamont.

the murray the k show i talked about here wasn't my first concert, although it was the WHO's first show in america. my first concert was when i was six and my mom took me to an alan freed show at the new york paramount theater. the headliners were little richard,chuck berry, about 10 other acts, and the reason i wanted to go in the first place.......buddy holly and the crickets. i still have that program too.

deezee

14. Jester

Jester Member

I saw The Who in 1983 in Birmingham (England). It was supposed to be their farewell tour but as we all know they kept coming back for more. The concert wasn't the greatest I had ever seen, but I was just glad to have finally gotten to see them after being a fan for so many years.

The first concert I went to see (on my own) was in 1980 when Iron Maiden rolled into my hometown of Swansea. At the time, Iron Maiden had yet to record their first album. There were about 150 of us in the hall to watch them perform and the ticket price was just £1.50.

The thing that I will always remember about that night was that Iron Maidne were totally outplayed/outperformed by their support act - Praying Mantis - who I thought were awesome. But as history shows, Iron Maiden went on to become legends of rock whilst Praying Mantis sank without trace after rave reviews of their first (and only) album. I still listen to their album - Time Tells No Lies - and still rate it as a great album. Strange the way fate turns out though.

Even after all these years, I'm still not an Iron Maiden fan. I was disappointed with them that night and have never heard anything from them to change my mind since.

15. DrSpaceman

DrSpaceman Member

$4.00 man?! It cost me all of $7.50 at Temple Stadium to see Cactus, Manhattan Transfer, Steve Miller, the Dead, and Hendrix! (A month or two before that, though, I got to see Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley for free at GWU. It was supposed to be $5, but the campus was on strike, so the concert was liberated.)