food blessing

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by tiki_god7, Jan 10, 2005.

1. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

Hey all, I'm trying to loosen my attachment to eating. Could somebody offer me a prayer kinda deal to always remember when eating that I'm offering brahma to brahma?

2. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

There is a verse in Bhagavad geeta (chapter IV, verse 24) which many Hindus chant before meals. It runs thus:

brahmarpanam brahmahavih
    brahmagnaubrahmanahutam
    brahmaiva tena gantavyam
    brahmakarma samadhinah

which means:

Brahman is the ladle, brahman is the sacrificial offering*
    brahman is the fire, brahman is the one performing the sacrifice
    He goes to brahman alone,
    who sees brahman in all actions.

*In Hindu sacrificial rituals, usually various offerings, such as butter, milk, rice, etc are offered into a sacrificial fire. The significance of this ritual is that our desires and needs, symbolized by the food, are offered into the fire, symbolic of brahman. Thus all our desires and need are consumed and reduced to ash by the fire of brahman, this ash we take as the prasad or blessing and apply it to our foreheads.

AnotherSupplement Facts Serving size: Four Fluid Ounces (237ml) Ingredients*Amount Per ServingCalories100 *Calories from Fat0 *Total Fat0 *Cholesterol0mg *Total Carbohydrates25g *Sodium20mg *Sugars22g *Protein0g *
    I also suggest strongly that you read bhagavad geeta chapter XV (preferably explained by Swami Vivekananda, Paramahamsa Yogananda or Swami Chinmayananda... I think their explanations are better than Srila Prabhupada's) and having understood the meaning, chant before every meal.

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

very cool :) I love different blessings... I'll save this one for sure, if it's okay... :)