Fond memories from your childhood

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Peanuts, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

What is one of your fondest memories growing up?

What is one of your fondest memories with your parents/guardians?

2. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

One of my fondest "little" memories is walking to school in the morning with my maternal grandfather. They lived across the street from us, and he'd walk me to school every morning until I was in about grade 7. It was about a 15 minute walk, and we'd stop and watch the train go by...he was a really quiet man (who passed away just over a year ago) but he and I used to really talk then - one to one he was a lot better, and told some really good stories.

With my parents, what I used to love were the big bbq/swimming parties they threw (and still do, the nuts!) ...it was always chaotic, lots of family and friends, and confusion, and loudness...and I loved every minute of it. I still do. Mind you, I always take some ibuprofen before-hand, for when my aunts start fighting rofl but that's the kind of thing you always remember..those were some good times.

Peanuts this is a great thread! Tell us your memories!

3. Gary Voodoo

Gary Voodoo Member

i wish my childhood memories were clearer. i see images and feel things, mostly just feelings actually, but i can't tell if they are real. i think i was happy. i remember sunshine and playing in fields full of clover. i moved so much so its all different also, but i cherish the memory of the sunshine.

the light is my favorite. i close my eyes and can see the golden light, but maybe it never existed because i've never seen it since, not exactly the same, even in a dream.

this thread really interests me because i'm only 19 and i barely have any memory of my childhood and i don't know why, and it sometimes bothers me. does anyone else have that problem?

4. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

My favorite recurring one is in 1969 when I went to visit Maui, (where my family hails from) and I remember riding in my Gradmother's Beige VW bug with "Hand me down world" by the Guess Who on the radio..

I spent most of my childhood in Hawaii, where you had the best surfing, the best sunsets and some of the prettiest girls.

5. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i have the same problem...my mom was in a horrible car accident when i was 13 and i dont have alot of memories before then...its weird and annoying...gosh how i would love to remember my childhood...i feel very very robbed

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Question 1
    1.being home sick
    it was just so warm and cozy
    2. Watching TV in front of my couch (while my drunk of a father slept instead of watching me) in my house before my house fire
    It was the only place that ever felt like home to me

Question 2
    I remember being comforted by my mom when I was real young
    I don't remember why I was sad, just how good it felt being comforted

7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

Childhood: summertime exploring the woods with my freinds, Amy and Peggy. And cliff climbing and creek hiking in those same woods with my freind Bill.

Family: our 3 week vacation in California when I was 16 and our vacation to the Adirondack mtns when I was 13.

8. dhs

dhs Senior Member

1 & 2 answered

Going to see Jerry Garcia Band at 13 with my brother and my mother

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

AWESOME!!!

10. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

man duck. i am sorry...at least i was surrounded by love...kinda shows what the lack of it does huh? just means we have to try extra hard:)

11. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

my mom loves me, hell, my dad loved me too, he was just too drunk all the time

12. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

oops well then i apologize...mine did too its just i didnt get much attention..
    no harm meant

13. FallenFairy

FallenFairy Senior Member

my fondest memory of when i was growing up was when my mom and i would go to my school on wensdays in the evenings, watch hot air balloons blow up and take off and she would push me on a tire swing while i blew kisses at her.

another fond memeory i have is when I was in third grade and there was the "cool" kids and the "loser" kids. Well I wanted to play with the "cool" kids but they told me to go play with my own kind. I went home in tears and told my mom what happened. She gave me the best advice ever...... she said to make friends with the other kids that the "cool" kids didn't want to play with and not to care what the "cool" kids said because to someone else you are "cool". Ever since then I didn't care what people thought of me or what they said about me. I made friends with so many "different" people and its all thanx to my mom.

14. turnthepage

turnthepage Member

My favorite memory is of beating up Colenzo X

15. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

my childhood memories are basically of coming home from elementary school and seeing my mom lying on the floor in her own blood or seeing her get the shit kicked out of her every night and when my brother or i tried to help her we'd get beat to. i remember seeing my dad strangle her plenty of times. i remember my dad sitting my brother and i down and telling us that my mom will never leave him because if she did he would come to our schools and kill us. this one time when i could barely swim i had this float tube thing and somehow i lost it in the water. i couldnt keep my head above the water and i was basically drowning. i remember my dad standing right over the edge of the pool and he was looking down at me laughing. he eventually pulled me out. oh and i also have memories of my dad bringing me to this guys house a lot were he would snort cocaine. i remember the guy who went to see had a kid about my age and we would play together in the living room while they snorted in the kitchen. everytime someone knocked on the door we were told to hide in the closet until they said we could come out. sometimes theyd forget about us and we would be in their for hours cause we were both to scared to come out.

my fondest memory is just being with my brother. without him i doubt id be here right now. he was the only person i could talk to when i was younger and i no he gets me cause we've been through the same stuff. like this one time when i was like 6 my mom told us to get out of the room and we both knew what was goin to happen. i sat on my bed and cried and my brother tried to cheer me up. he told me jokes and really talked to me. lol he actually got me to smile. thats something i will never forget

16. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Best memories I have from my childhood are all those summers that I spent in my parents' summer cottage in the countryside with my mum and dad and my dog, my two aunts and two uncles and my cousin... Swimming in the lake, running around in the forests and in the meadows... Wonderful times.

This other memory is not a childhood memory, because I was 16, but it's still a beautiful memory and it has a lot to do with growing up, so... Summer 2001 was probably the best summer of my life (so far). Me and a group of my friends spent the whole summer on the road, roadtripping around Finland, camping and going to these different festivals and gatherings. Fun times! :D

17. turnthepage

turnthepage Member

hey kjhippielove88, just because you wanta live in misery and victimhood, dont expect the rest of us to wallow in self pity with you-some of us have a sense of humor and have built a better life for ourselves. no, i didnt have a great childhood either, pretty much like yours form the sounds of it, but i believe peanuts started this thread to hear happy stories, so quit yer whinin and grow up.

18. howl

howl Member

this is the "BEST childhood memory" thread? then i would have to say just being amazed all the time by any little thing....
    and back then people used to tell me ho cute i was all the time.... that has since gone by the wayside.

19. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

ok first i dont expect nor want anyone feel sorry for me because im not a drama queen or a fan of pity. does anyone want to live in misery/victimhood? congratulations to you for building a better life for yourself, some people go through an awful childhood and theyre fucked up for the rest of thier life. and do u call that comment you made humorous? its not. how is sharing my personal experiences whining? colenzo shared something personal from his childhood, u go and say something like that. u should be able to relate instead of making a joke about it. and yeah peanuts made this thread to hear happy stories but everyone doesnt have those. i have every right to share my meomories..whether theyre good or bad. if u have a problem with that then dont read it. in case u didnt notice i did include a happy memory. u obviously dont no anything about me. if u dislike me well then thats your problem. im not going to keep goin back and fourth with you so it ends here

20. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

being pampered and cared for and that everything i said no matter how silly was cute and applauded. strangely enough my temper tantrums also are recalled fondly and even today remarked upon as being grand and special. man, i am spoiled hehh! so many happy memories. i'm grateful, honestly. i hope those guys n girls who did not have what i had find some special people and places and things to make it up to them.
    cheers.