Following is a letter i used at the board hearing that explains my former therapy

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Ervin, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Ervin

Ervin Guest

My real name is also Ervin and I live in Melbourne, Australia.

The letter:

Reasons why Ervin should not be forced to take Antipsychotics

Addressing the relevant sections of the Mental Health Act:

Section 8(1)(a) –The person appears to be mentally ill

Ervin believes God healed him and he appears well, which is why he decided to cease taking antipsychotics. He was off antipsychotics for a number of months and this was known to his Psychologist and the CATT team. Initially the team at North Western Mental Health had no issues with this and Ervin was told as long as he did not take illegal drugs he could continue down this course. However it was later decided that this was unacceptable and he was hospitalised at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

While there, it was determined that he had “relapsed” This diagnosis should be re-examined as exclusionary condition s8(2) lists that expressing a religious opinion cannot be the sole reason for diagnosing mental illness. He was told he had relapsed because he spoke about Religion too much and had an elevated mood.

Regarding his speech on Religion

Ervin believes that God helped him recover from Schizophrenia. His beliefs are not symptoms of a delusion, but a common human experience i.e. that God is responsible for healing an ailment.. Unfortunately for Ervin, acknowledging God has led to him being forced into taking the antipsychotics; a substance he is averse to taking. The way he is being treated is arguably a violation of his Human Rights as he must denounce his faith or be seen as delusional. After being discharged and after many months, and a steadily decreasing dosage of antipsychotics, his belief that God healed him remains unchanged.

Regarding his elevated mood

An elevated mood is something Ervin has always displayed, and is merely a part of his personality. His previous Psychologist R. J., a trained individual who regularly saw Ervin over the course of years, noted his talkativeness and eccentric attitude (refer to letter by R.J.). His personality remains the same as always.

It should be emphasised that his religious beliefs and elevated mood have remained unchanged since he was forced to take antipsychotics. However, these thought processes are all of a sudden seen as acceptable to his carers who after discharge from hospital have consistently reduced the dosage and potency of the antipsychotics required.

Overall, regardless of any appearance of recovery, essentially Ervin will have to take Antipsychotics for the rest of his life. To quote the team at North Western Mental Health (Refer to letter by North Western Mental Health) “It is evident that whilst Mr P. may appear well in the short term his history suggests the high likelihood of him becoming unwell if left untreated”. This statement rules out any possibility of recovery outside of an ongoing antipsychotic medication regime.

Section 8(1)(b) –Person's mental illness requires immediate treatment

As previously discussed, Ervin was forcibly medicated to prevent a relapse which statistically would occur. However, it is arguable that a relapse was imminent at the time the decision was made to revoke his CTO.

Section 8(1)(c) –Involuntary Treatment necessary to prevent deterioration or for Health and Safety reasons

Taking into account the circumstances of his hospitalisation and diagnosis of relapse mentioned earlier, there is no conclusive evidence that his health was deteriorating.

There is little evidence that Ervin’s is currently a risk to himself or others. In the Initial Risk assessment he received when hospitalised (Refer to the Royal Melbourne Hospital Initial Risk Assessment), he was assessed on a variety of Risk criteria and it was found he was No Risk in most areas and Low Risk in others. Where he was assessed as Low Risk the decision was based on Historical factors and not current conditions.

He acknowledges his past crimes and has served his sentences. His worst crimes were committed while on heavy drugs and his lifestyle was vastly different during that phase of his life. His religious outlook has caused him to evaluate and reform his past behaviour drastically. Ervin can get many people to vouch for his lawful and honest character (Refer to letter by F.D.). His previous Psychologist wrote that at no point did he consider Ervin a Risk to himself or anyone.

Section 8(1)(d) –Refusal of necessary treatment.

Ervin refused based on his personal beliefs that he has recovered with God’s Help. His previous Psychologist wrote that with professional support, counselling and monitoring he believes Ervin’s condition can be well managed.

However, it is seen that Ervin has refused “necessary” treatment. Such a conclusion would suggest a lack of alternatives. It would mean disregarding the numerous studies that found a higher rate of complete recovery in third world countries. Countries that make minimal use of antipsychotic drugs and have an emphasis on Social and Emotional Support based treatments.

To quote one such study of many (using results from the World Health Organization collaborative project, the International Study of Schizophrenia):

“Evidence of differences in illness trajectory in favor of the developing centers was consistently found. Six potential sources of bias are then examined: differences in followup, arbitrary grouping of centers, diagnostic ambiguities, selective outcome measures, gender, and age. None of these potential confounds explains away the differential in course and outcome. We conclude with suggestions for further research, with particular attention to the need for close documentation of everyday practices in the local moral worlds that "culture" refers to.”[1]

So not only is there reason to doubt the long-term effectiveness of Ervin’s treatment, there are also well researched side effects to antipsychotic drugs which studies have revealed can be permanently debilitating or fatal. Some of these side effects have affected Ervin. As noted by his previous Psychologist, Ervin found relief from the generalised anxiety and panic attacks he suffers when taking antipsychotics..

Due to Ervin’s knowledge of the aforementioned issues with antipsychotics, the side effects he experiences and his personal belief that he does not require them, it is not unreasonable for him to refuse to take them and request alternative treatments.

Section 8(1)(e) –the person cannot receive adequate treatment for the mental illness in a manner less restrictive of his or her freedom of decision and action.

Ervin has experienced being off medication without deterioration. He is on a very low amount of medication at the moment, after having ceased it completely in recent times with no signs of relapse being imminent. This is contrary to the opinion that he would deteriorate. His Previous Psychologist recommended Professional Support, counselling and monitoring.

It should be restated that the CATT team at North Western Mental Health were initially open to the idea of Ervin not taking antipsychotics as long as he did not take illegal drugs. However, this agreement Ervin had with them was overruled during an in-house committee meeting.

[1] Hopper K, Wanderling J (2000). "Revisiting the developed versus developing country distinction in course and outcome in schizophrenia: results from ISoS, the WHO collaborative follow up project. International Study of Schizophrenia". Schizophrenia Bulletin 26 (4): 835–46.

Thanks

2. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

God ain't real and you probably are mentally ill. Sorry dude.

3. Ervin

Ervin Guest

I would like to remind people of one of my last posts and then include bits of a discussion I am having on one of the Buddhist internet forums:

I feel God.. I would say that if we get in touch with our essence or should I say our conscience we can feel the truth about God.

The way I see the truth is that there is an infinite Source of everything that exists, whom people traditionally call God and Hem is( I say Hem instead of Him or Her) is best described by myself in one word as Gentleness. The Source of everything that exists is infinitely Gentle.

So remember, everything is ok, so there is never any need to be to hard on yourself, no matter what you might have done.
    Thanks

on one of the Buddhist forums I asked if they believed Buddha was infinitely good and gentle like I believe the Source is and after some posts I got an answer. Following is a part of that answer with my reply:

by Ervin » Wed Nov07, 2012 9:29 am

Following is a part of of a post posted by keithBC:

by KeithBC » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:12 pm

As any parent or pet owner knows, sometimes being good means a firm and perhaps forceful "No!" So good, yes. Gentle, no

I would like to explain how you are also infinitely gentle, which is infinitely good:

If you were in a so called nirvana( nirvana is what I believe the peace of the Source is like or similar) you wouldn't have to let's say partake in saying no when someone asks you for something. But on a so called "planet earth" as a human we might say no because it might be a more compassionate choice than saying yes.

So by being gentle, good and reasonable in this circumstance on "planet earth" than that's infinitely good and gentle. You should look at the circumstance you are in before you decide how good you are. You are allowed to give yourself reasons for doing what you do and for not doing something. Reasons are sometimes called excuses.

Thanks

Ervin

4. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Schizophrenia is a bitch. It runs in the family and I always am thankful that I dodged that genetic bullet.

"I should take my meds" said NO Schizophrenic ever.

"I've been doing well without them" said a family friend, right before she took a turn and ended up loosing her kids.

"It's a government plot to keep me from knowing" said a family member right before he disappeared for years, leaving his wife and child behind to go play conspiracy in the Middle East. (At least his conspiracy involvement was tactile, as opposed to modern day conspiracy nut jobs. He actually went places other than 'mama's basement' )

My cousin, who was the son of the above, got his dad's paranoid schizo, had gotten help. After not taking it for so long, pushing family away and lord knows what else, he made the commitment to meds. He's now got a pretty normal life that's safe for him to have a wife and a child, which is the life he wanted.

Taking meds on a probability may seem wrong to you but this condition is pretty special. This isn't anxiety or depression, this is something way darker and nastier.

Take your meds. It seems shitty. It seems unfair. But you are more ill than you can comprehend. And sadly the more you try to comprehend, and intellectualize it, the more confused and angry it will leave you.

5. Ervin

Ervin Guest

I have two psychiatrists. The main one Dr B. and the other one Dr S. I see the other one almost all the time. The other one has been always trying to convince me that I have schizoefective disorder that a third doctor diagnosed me about 15 16 months ago.

And guess what: The other day the main psychiatrist Dr B. one was filling out some forms for my self and i told her to write down the TRUTH and i did remind her that I have been diagnosed with schizoefective by one doctor and that the other one Dr.S. viciously supports it, but that I don't believe that I have it and she refused to write down schizoafective disorder on the forms. She wrote only schizophrenia. She even refused to write paranoid next to it. And I told her: So I don't have scizhoefective disorder.

There you go, a doctor lied who diagnosed my symptoms of pharmaceuticals side efects as schizoefective and the psych I see on regular basis dr. S. suports his diagnosis strongly but his manager dr. B. obviously did otherwise. I got and I have kept copies of the forms as an EVIDENCE.

This is in Melbourne, Australia.

Thanks

6. Ervin

Ervin Guest

Following is what I wrote today on a philosophy forum:

One thing I didn't mention and that is seconds prior to " spontaneous recovery " I made a choice to lie about my beliefs. I decided to lie about taking pharmaceuticals because I was pretty certain that they will tor e me to take them. But I started telling the truth about not taking and what happened happened. So I didn't just think about taking a risk. However eventually I decided to tell the truth, but I forgot about that detail, otherwise everything else was true.

Also, when I pleaded guilty to raping who appeared to be a woman, heroin user and a street prostitute of 20 years e said (I love her and I love the police and everyone else by the way), who wouldn't return the money when I asked her since she refused to do what I paid her for, I was going through a so called first psychotic episode. I got scared of hell and even though I thought its to late to "repent" I kept trying. Later on two confessions where due to so called schizophrenia. It came to me that that's how I can help myself get "better" and purify my self. Rest you can read in the thread if you wish and I would like your comment please.

Remember its ok what they have done to me. But, I wish to write about it. If you ask me like I said I want to align with the Source I feel is infinitely gentle.

I forgive everyone everything and love everyone and everything and I want peace in the end, if not now as well. And I do good my way because its my right.

Thanks

-- Updated Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:16 am to add the following --

Just want to ad that the so called symptoms of the illness came back eventually since I didn't want to lie ( thqts how it seemed at least) and whenever I decided wholeheartedly to lie, everything would get "better". But, I know that where there is will there is a way for doing actual good same as there is for evil. Existence is fair and I have rights same as "other/s" do. I have a choice.

Thanks

7. Ervin

Ervin Guest

Also, I pleaded guilty but at first I wanted them questioned while affected by a so called what I was later told is psychotic, then schizophrenia to the indecent assaults where I asked two females, wo I got later told are 17 years old to have sex with and I touched one on the hips. When I pleaded guilty without any fighting later on I was on pharmaceuticals and not affected. The rest I did because I thought even while not affected by a so called illness because I like telling the whole truth, its me.

I was also in prison for adults on remand while in Europe while I was 15 Years old for break and enter. I was found guilty of some sort of an assault charge tor hitting a man while working as a crowd controller. I was in Australian military prison for awol( Absent without leave) I started taking amphetamines, actual injecting while in the Army. Plenty of other times I broke the so called laws but didn't deal with the police or courts because of it.

Thanks

8. Ervin

Ervin Guest

Peace and hi I everyone.

It has been a long time since I posted this thread. I was looking back on it and thinking what is the best way to deal with this situation.

And to put it simply as Eckhart Tolle would say In stillness speaks, in the acceptance and surrender chapter to do exactly that. But I am pretty sure that somewhere else he says that we can work on fixing the problem, but accept this moment as it is.

Thoughts!

Thanks

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

well hello!
    it'll take me a moment to catch up. i've only skimmed some of the posts.
    but here you are seven years later.
    that's somehow pleasing to see.

10. What's been happening Ervin? Did you ever get off antipsychotics?

11. Ervin

Ervin Guest

Thanks Neo.

The answer is no, they ended up sending more ten(I don’t know the exact number) police to my door. They took me in held me down and repeteadly injected me. This is after they admitted that I was well and that what happened with me doesn’t normally happen. So they destroyed the evidence pretty much.

Thanks for caring.

12. Ervin

Ervin Guest

And, every new/other injection was for refusing to talk to psychiatrist. So she decided every time that I needed more medication without talking to me. So I ended up on a huge dosage in the end. It doesn’t make sense. If most of them agree that I am well, then why a huge dosage?

Thanks

13. You've been on a high dosage for a long time now, then. Is it affecting you negatively?

14. Ervin

Ervin Guest

No Neo. That was long time ago. I am not on the injection at the moment. I am on a relatively low dosage now and it about to get lit lower soon.

It’s all relatively fine now and about to get better.

Thanks

15. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Members of MindFreedom International use mutual support to protect one another from unwanted coerced psychiatric procedures. Current MindFreedom members may register for the MindFreedom Shield for free. Then if a member with a Shield is threatened with coerced psychiatry, that member can instantly activate a public alert system.

Forced Drugging Defense Package: MindFreedom Shield offers, because of assistance from the MFI sponsor group PsychRights, a Forced Drugging Defense Package, click here.

Public Shield Directory: To view a list of MFI members who have chosen to make their Shield public, click

Sign up for the Shield: Current MFI member may sign up for the Shield program here.

MindFreedom Shield - MindFreedom International (MFI)

16. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Just being involved in the Human rights mental health movement is good for mental health.

Looks like from the first post you know about Mindfreedom, Whitaker ect but hope I was helpful.

17. Ervin

Ervin Guest

Thank you the Greatshue.

I have found the mind freedom on Facebook and I have recommended to some other people on Facebook and some have accepted and are following it on Facebook.

18. Ervin

Ervin Guest

Hi everyone, just to let you all know that I have come to believe in God Yahweh and His Son Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. It’s a bit of a story as to how I came to it. I will just urge you all to take good look at the Bible for instance.
    The Bible is the best written book there is and that is one of my reasons for accepting God Yahweh and His Son Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. Compare the Bible to other books.

Thanks

Corrosionofconformity likes this.