Folk Festival in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by dylanzeppelin, May 11, 2004.

1. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

A friend of mine is convincing me to go to the folk fest this August. It seems like an interesting experience. Has anybody gone before or are you going this year? Any information would be greatly appreicated.. peace

2. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

The Philly Folk Fest is AWESOME!!!! This will be my 4th year as a volunteer and I am counting the days!!!! I just sent in all my paperwork. Here is a link if you want some info about it...:

www.folkfest.org

I garauntee you will LOVE it!!! If you sign on as a volunteer you can stay for up to a week prior to the actual festival to help get things organized with whatever committe you are on, I am on Purchase and Supply. If you volunteer, it's free and they feed you!!! Camping with the other vlunteers and fest goers is where it's at though. You will be partying and sharing good vibes with THOUSANDS of excellent people. It's a great place to be.

3. dylanzeppelin

i have been to that website many times, thank you. my friend is helping me out with the volunteering and everything. im excited because it's something new for me. im glad you are enjoying it and already your 4th year, must be fun times, thanks again for giving me some information..

4. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

I see you live in Norwood, I used to live in Lansdowne/Upper Darby area. Actually, it was more Upper Darby. I had a great place on Marshall Rd.

5. BenJammin

BenJammin Member

Yeah, the latenight tent city experience is a lot of fun... Some groups have been doin this every year for twenty plus - so by now their setups get pretty legendary... My favorite was Camelot when I was there a few years back... And lots of random folk "pick up" bands playing all over well into the night... A great experience...

6. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

Yeah, it's an experience that can't be explained unless you are there. I camp over nera the Azzholes and they tend to jam all night. I love it!!! Fest replenishes my soul for the year. Even though it is a huge even, it is very friendly and warm. Late night in "tent city" is spritual in some ways. People are very honest there, good peolpe. It's like a commercialized Rainbow Gathering in a way. There are many similarities.

7. amber

amber Member

Another PA folk festival to check out is the Forksville Folk Fest~ its June 25-27 Lotta good musicians. Tickets are $45 right now

8. luna99

luna99 Member

I've never been myself but a good friend of mine goes every year and keeps tryin to get me out there.. I'm gonna try my best to make it this year, and from what I hear from other people it's an amazing good time... lots of good heads, great music, good vibes.

9. babynug

babynug Member

i keep hearing great things about the festival. definitely need to go this year!

10. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

im going...this will be my first time

11. dylanzeppelin

since it seems that everybody lives in pennsylvania, where you all at in the good old pa? i'm in norwood, right in delaware county outside of philly.. pretty much in middle of nowhere.. what about you?

12. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

Well, I don't want to put a damper on everyone but we did not have a good experience. My car was broken into. When we reported it, the staff told us that several people had reported it early in the day. But they made no attempt to announce it over any of the stages or anything. They acted like we shouldn't even be bothering them about the damage to my car on their property. It took 2 hours to get them to call the police even though there was an officer not far from the security office. The site is also not handicapped accessible. They make little to no effort to assist older people or people with disabilities. You have to clear out of the festival area and stand out in the hot sun for about an hour while they make sure no one gets preferencial seating for the evening concert (unless you pay for it). If you leave a blanket or something behind beween the afternoon and evening concerts they confiscate it. There is almost no shade except in the children's area. The music was great, but the accomidations were not. I won't be going back again. They finally paid for the damage to my car after several weeks and many letters. I love Clearwater in New York an Falcon Ridge near the New York, Massachuesettes, Connecticut border. But I won't go back to Philly again.

Kathi

13. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

ill be there this year. its in the town i live in. anyone goin to hexfest?

~shine on in love and light~
    Sundance

14. naturegoddess69

naturegoddess69 Member

I'll be going to folkfest & hopefully hexfest. I'm quite excited for the summer & all the good fests that come with it.

15. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

i'll be going for the third straight year. I will never miss folkfest for as long as i am able. The good vibes are in the air, so plan on staying up all night, getting very little sleep (if any) listening to some great music, meeting a bunch of kind heads, and partying your ass off! By the way, the perfomers line-up is looking pretty good.....

16. terrapinchasin

terrapinchasin Member

Kathi, I am so bummed ot ehar that. one of our coolers was stolen full of beer, and don't plan on leaving once you get there, you will enver find parking again.

I love the philly fest though. volunteering is the way to go. i'm on camping, three six hour shifts, and free food. well worth it for the free tickets and good times.

see you guys there!

17. ~piscean]-[delusions

~piscean]-[delusions Member

I live near gifford pinchot state park and ski roundtop in pennsylvania, about 15 minutes south of harrisburg...

18. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

I never like to hear about someone having a bad experience at folkfest. Bad experiences there are few and far in between, but they do happen occacionally, as they do at all festivals and large gatherings. I will say this though, i bet per person there are many more problems at Bonnaroo then at folkfest!

LAst year there was 2 kids that DID get caught stealing coolers and other campsite equipment, and they were prosecuted. So it does not go unoticed.

Anyway, the line-up is looking great. I'm gearing up! Can't wait!

19. terrapinchasin

terrapinchasin Member

Wow that is good news, nothing sucks more than getting something stolen off of your site. it is totally outside the spirit of the gathering.

You find that people jump the fence occasionally to get into camping, and I wonder if those are the folks you have to worry about.

20. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

I have absolutely NO respect for the fence jumpers! They don't belong at fest. Either pay your way if you can afford it ( which is definately worth the money!) Or voluneteer! Only a handful try to sneak in, and most get caught. I mean the fest works pretty much entirely on volunteers and the income recieved from paying people. If your not going to be one or the other then don't come.

On a happier note, our campsite is going to be very lively to say the least :p