Floor Seating in the Dining Room?

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by IDontFitIn, Aug 5, 2009.

1. IDontFitIn

IDontFitIn Member

We just bought our first house. It is really nice but as boring as a slice of white bread.

We have an old second hand dining set. The chairs keep falling apart and we keep having to repair them, most of them are beyond repair now. Dining room sets to seat 6 or more (thats what we need) cost sooo much and we can't afford it. I really want to saw the legs on the table to make a low table and make floor cushions. I have pictures in my head of this great dining room that could evolve from it. We just don't have a lot of money to invest in it at once but over time it could be very cool.

Does anyone have this kind of set up? I am looking for pictures for inspiration. Anyone know of a good way to make floor cushions?

Heck if nothing else it will make my in-laws shake their heads :D

2. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Why not go for an eclectic look by getting mismatched chairs at second-hand stores and painting them different colours?

Personally, I couldn't sit at a floor table, it would kill my back. If you plan to have older people over for dinner, that might be a problem for them as well.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

What about building a low couch and making cushions for that?
    Basically make a box the length of the table cover it in fabric and cushions. One along the wall for those who need back support and one for Japanese style seating.
    This allows a lower table overall.