First timer

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by TheLizardQueen, Jan 16, 2005.

1. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

What is a good, easy plant to start out with?

2. Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes Member

Most herbs are easy to grow indoors. And you can cook with them too.:H There are many many types of herbs. And try not to confuse regular kitchen herbs with plants that are classified as herbs. Big difference.

Aloes are relatively easy to care for, but they have a tendency to give off lots of offshoots over time which can cause you to have to replant a lot. I started with three aloe plants and now I have over 25 of them.:eek:

Ferns can be a simple plant to start with, but the conditions should be watched carefully because its easy to overwater a fern. This is despite the fact that you often find them growing on the sides of moist mountains and hills.

Spider Plants and Snake Plants are also relatively easy to start with. Spider plants, from what I have seen are easy to care for, but they put out shoots for rerooting that hang a distance over the side of the pot. Which is why it's best used as a hanging plant. Snake plants are simple to care for as well.

Try this site and ask for recommendations of what to grow. They are also very useful should you have any problems with your plants. In which case the Garden Clinic is the place to go. I help out there. Here is the homepage.

The Garden Web

Here's a link to the registration page which is necessary I think if you want to post.

Garden Web Members

Here's a link to the beginner forum on the site that should be helpful.

New To Gardening Forum

Hope this was helpful.

3. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

it was! thank you kindly!

4. yogi for peace

yogi for peace Member

Im in the Sacramento Valley in California - almost anything is relatively easy to grow - but i've found the most hardy things to grow so far in this region are:

Zuccini
    Squash
    Tomatoes
    Strawberries

5. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

Sun Flowers or Pine Trees they are both great!

6. SharyBobbins

SharyBobbins QPR Football Fan

Herbs like rosemary, thyme, dill, and others are awesome.

7. peace kid

peace kid Member

Does Anybody Know How Much A Grow Light Is And Where I Can Get One Besides Online??

8. Gypzy

Gypzy Member

Daisies! Oh, and if all else fails, Go the Sunflowers!!!! They are soooooo great, and heaps easy to grow! Just buy some birdseed and you'll have them everywhere! :)