First Suicide Due To Bedroom Tax Reported

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Mr. Frankenstein, May 12, 2013.

1. Just read all this stuff man! Iam fucking heartbroken that that this is happening !I'll get back to you later when I've had time to get my mind round it! This is truly shit! Later!

2. Mr. Frankenstein

Mr. Frankenstein Malice...in Sunderland

'Bedroom Tax' loophole plugged

HOPES of finding a loophole for people hit by the controversial "bedroom tax" in the Highlands have been dashed, it has emerged.

And the UK welfare reform minister has warned Highland Council that any move to redesignate properties "without reasonable grounds" – so tenants avoid income cuts – would not be in "the spirit of the policy" and could see the Westminster government withhold housing benefit subsidy.

Almost 2,900 residents in the region have been stung by the spare room subsidy since its April introduction and £25,000 in rent arrears has already been run up.

Benefit claimants can have their income cut by up to 25 per cent, which is generally between £50 and £100 per week, if they are deemed to have too much living space, like a spare room.

Highland councillor Richard Laird had highlighted moves by a Lanarkshire council which had apparently designated spare bedrooms as studies so tenants could avoid a benefit cut and called for officials to investigate whether it could be replicated in the region.

But in a hard-hitting letter to Highland Council’s chief executive Alistair Dodds, Lord Freud has moved to head off any attempts to consider the potential loophole.

"In principle, my department has no objections to re-designating properties where there is good cause to do so, for example where a property is significantly adapted to cater for a disabled person’s needs," stated Lord Freud.

"Blanket redesignations without a clear and justifiable reasons, and without reductions in rent, are inappropriate and do not fall within the spirit of the policy.

"I would like to stress that if it is shown properties are being re-designated inappropriately then this will be viewed very seriously. Where it is found that a local authority has re-designated properties without reasonable grounds and without reducing rents, my department would consider restricting or not paying housing benefit subsidy."

Legal advice on the potential loophole has also been provided to the council, which states there is no legal definition on a bedroom, but the authority’s housing director Steve Barron had warned the move would have to be defendable if it went to court.

Councillor Laird, whose Inverness Central ward contains some of the most poverty stricken areas in the Highlands, said he refused to give up on finding another avenue to allay the benefit cuts.

"It is disappointing and unfortunate that there doesn’t seen to be a way around the policy but we will keep looking for one," he said.

"It is causing fear and trepidation in the communities I represent. There is a lot of anger and they feel they are being penalised for the mistakes by bankers."

The council agreed a one-year moratorium on evictions until April 2014, if tenants have racked up rent arrears because of the bedroom tax.

Councillor Laird, a member of the local authority’s housing committee, fears that rent debt in the Highlands could soar in the coming months as the bedroom tax bites deeper and warned it could impact on new council house projects and property repairs because they are largely funded by rental income.

Lord Freud has said the spare room subsidy’s introduction would save £500 million a year through greater efficiency and better use of housing stock.

The minister added it was therefore "vital" that councils adhered to their statutory responsibility to implement the policy on behalf of the government.

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/News/Bedroom-Tax-loophole-plugged-24072013.htm

3. I just heard about a relative of mine who has just moved to a bigger house because he has 2 children of different sex. He is liable for bedroom tax because his oldest child is not yet 10 years old! The ironic thing is that he swapped with one of my daughters who has downsized even though she could technically be allowed the size of house she has given up. Why does she then not get a rent rebate for doing the right thing? ;)
    It is a positive sign that some local authorities see this tax for the disaster that it is and are trying to circumvent it.

4. Mr. Frankenstein

Agreed. I think i heard something about Liverpool council mounting a challenge (but cant find the source). With respect to Highland Council et al, probably you'd need to be the size of Liverpool to be able to do some damage (of course, if they were all to form an alliance...).

I'm lucky, I'm not subject to the bedroom tax, but i know people who are, and cant imagine how they can survive the hit on their 71.70pounds per week. of course, some people aren't surviving...

5. Mr. Frankenstein

Man cuts throat with knife in Runcorn benefits office in protest bedroom tax

A MAN cut his throat with a knife in a Runcorn benefits advice office during an outburst about the bedroom tax.

An eyewitness, who asked not be identified, heard the middle-aged man say he was ‘sick of all this sh*t’ then watched him drag a blade through skin from his ear down to his throat on each side of his neck.

The wounds left him and the floor spattered with blood, the witness said.

Staff hit an emergency alarm during the incident.

It happened at about 2pm on Monday, at Halton Direct Link in Halton Lea shopping centre.

Cheshire police officers have spoken to the man, who suffered ‘minor injuries’, about his wellbeing.

No criminal offences were reported.

Halton Borough Council said he was receiving support following the incident, as are Link staff.

The witness, who was waiting in line to see an adviser, said no other residents reacted to the outburst but that staff seemed ‘a little bit shocked’.

He said: “From what I could see, the bloke had gone to see an adviser.

“He was upset about the bedroom tax and wasn’t getting through and he started to cut his throat on both sides and threw the knife on the floor and he had blood coming from his neck.

“There was a lot of blood but it hadn’t come out of his artery, he wasn’t gushing out blood.

“He went through the side of his neck from his ear to the front.

“It would have needed medical attention.

“Everyone was just sat about normal waiting to go and see the adviser. I was in the queue. Nobody did nothing.”

A Halton Council spokesman said: “We are aware of this incident. The person concerned is receiving appropriate support and we are supporting our staff who witnessed the incident.”

http://www.runcornandwidnesweeklyne...room-tax-55368-33650506/#.UfEtDRK_o15.twitter

6. How sad is that ....nobody seemed perturbed. What kind of crass, uncaring society are we becoming. It truly is a sad indictment on the state of affairs when a guy who is trying to make a point is ignored by the very people who are tolerating the shit he has had enough of!

7. Mr. Frankenstein

Cruel con artists are using a Bedroom Tax scare to scam.

Police Scotland and East Ayrshire Council's Community Safety team are warning residents to be on the lookout for the bogus callers with this new ruse.

The cynical criminals are exploiting the under-occupancy element of welfare reform laws by going door to door asking residents for money for the "bedroom tax" and threatening them with eviction if they refuse to pay.

Cllr Tom Cook, East Ayrshire Council's Spokesperson for Improving Community Safety warns: "Neither we nor the housing associations would ever ask our tenants for cash at the door. We warn people to be vigilant and spread the word that this is a scam. We are working to spread the message and keep our tenants safe from this criminal activity."

Sgt Iain Fitzsimmons of Police Scotland empathised the message: "Residents should be aware that these criminals will prey on people's fear, particularly those who are vulnerable and elderly. If you know someone who may be a target, please make sure they are safe and know who to contact if they are suspicious of any caller."

http://www.cumnockchronicle.com/new...rtists-are-using-a-bedroom-tax-scare-to-scam/

:devil: It's interesting that these low-life scammers are described - rightly - as cruel and cynical, while the high-life scammers that instigated it, and the organizations that implement it, are pillars of society.

Ultimately, where's the difference ?

8. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Gotta say, thats absolutely disgusting. A British person with a small 2 bed home, loses his job to a Pole or Afghan who does it for under minimum wage (no tax to pay). The money leaves the country. Then the British guy loses his home to some immigrant Pakistanis.

There was this one guy who'd been in his home 30yrs, and was forced out.He had to move 25 miles away. And said "how can I find a new job, where no one knows me, no one can vouch for me?" He was right.

Moving people out of their homes will actually cost money. The fact is, Camoron and his mates are just camp, effeminate in-the closet dickheads who like to look "tough" with working people(ie trying to cover up whats a pretty open secret anyway).
    And fail.

I'm amazed there aren't riots in the street... yet. I'm sure I would be if I had to rely on the State.

9. Mr. Frankenstein

Why the racism ? The Bedroom Tax and all the similar measures hitting the poor were planned and implemented by WHITE BRITISH people.

Plenty of rich WHITE BRITISH people dont pay the taxes due, mainly because they're rich and can afford to pay for "creative accounting" including moving money out of the country to tax havens.

Racism is a dead end. It only deflects the blame from those who deserve it.

10. Mr. Frankenstein

Bedroom tax: Disabled mum-of-two Lorraine set to become first person in Scotland to be kicked out of their home

A SEVERELY disabled single mum is to become the first council tenant in Scotland to be evicted because of the bedroom tax.

Lorraine Fraser is being kicked on to the street after her Labour-run council took court action to force her out her specially adapted flat.

She has scoliosis – curvature of the spine – and arthritis and she is wheelchair-bound.

The council moved Lorraine into a specially adapted flat with a wheelchair ramp, wet room and handrails two years ago.

Now they want to turf her out for failing to pay just £248 in bedroom tax arrears.

Lorraine, 46, said: “Where will I go? I need a specially adapted home just to survive.

“What kind of people would throw a disabled woman and her kids out on the street?

“They have no compassion or conscience.”

North Lanarkshire Council have sent Lorraine a series of hard-hitting letters, warning her that eviction proceedings are under way.

The latest letter, dated August 8, states: “I can advise you that North Lanarkshire Council has commenced court action to evict you from your home.”

She has also been told she faces paying for the authority’s “considerable” legal costs.

Lorraine receives disability living allowance. And even before the bedroom tax, she struggled to pay her bills and feed her family.

When the hated tax was introduced in April, she was told she would have to pay an extra £62 in rent every month.

She was informed she was being targeted because she has two spare rooms.

But Lorraine is baffled because she shares her three-bedroom flat with her daughter Collette, 19, and son Mark, 17.

They are both students who live at home, although they also spend time living with their dad, who is divorced from Lorraine.

Lorraine thought she still had a month left to fight her case because she was told in a letter that legal proceedings to evict her wouldn’t begin until September 2.

But she was devastated when the council’s letter on August 8 said they had already started court action.

Council housing officers visited her at her home in Uddingston, near Glasgow, yesterday to go through the eviction process.

Lorraine said: “I can’t believe I am going to be thrown on the street.

“My condition is getting worse every day. This has caused me so much stress and anxiety it’s making me really ill.

“I feel at the end of my tether. I have tried to explain to them that my children still live here.

“My son sometimes stays at his dad’s house because we are divorced but this is still his home.

“I feel angry, upset and totally helpless.

“I thought I still had a month to sort this mess out but then I got a letter to say they had already started the legal process.

“I feel like my life is falling apart. I have been in this house for two years and it was the council who put me here because they knew I needed a specially adapted home for my disability.

“Now they want to throw me out on the street like a piece of old rubbish.

“They are targeting the most vulnerable in our community.

“It’s a disgrace they are allowed to get away with it.”

North Lanarkshire Council are one of the few local authorities in Scotland who have refused to adopt a no-evictions policy.

In April, First Minister Alex Salmond pledged that no SNP-run council would throw out tenants who had fallen into arrears because of the bedroom tax.

North Lanarkshire Council leader Jim McCabe called the bedroom tax “the single worst piece of legislation I have ever seen”.

But that hasn’t stopped the authority from starting eviction action against their tenants.

Lorraine called on the All Scotland Anti-Bedroom Tax Federation and Glasgow lawyer Gordon Dangerfield to help save her from eviction.

Federation chairman Tommy Sheridan said: “North Lanarkshire Council’s treatment of a disabled bedroom tax victim is shocking and shameful.

“How do these councillors and highly paid council officials sleep at night? They should be ashamed of themselves.

“They told this disabled bedroom tax victim she had until September 2 to find the money or else.

“Then they started eviction proceedings anyway. They know this woman is on the breadline yet they have harassed her.”

A North Lanarkshire Council spokesman said: “We have offered every tenant potentially affected by the bedroom tax an opportunity to have a visit or advice by phone.

“The tenant in question has consistently refused to fully engage with us and has repeatedly refused to apply for a discretionary housing payment which may help to alleviate her situation.

“We are committed to helping all tenants hit by this UK Government legislation.”

Lorraine reacted with anger to the council’s claims that she refused to cooperate with them.

She said: “It is an outright lie. I have tried to convince them that I am not eligible for the bedroom tax but they are not interested.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/bedroom-tax-disabled-mum-of-two-lorraine-2204216

11. Mr. Frankenstein

Edinburgh City Council is the first in the country to assess how much people spend on ‘luxuries’ such as alcohol and cigarettes when deciding whether to give them extra funding to cope with the cut to their benefits created by the spare room subsidy – dubbed the bedroom tax.

In application forms for the extra funds, people are asked to detail what they spend their money on, and in Edinburgh this includes alcohol. The council then takes this into account to decide who gets discretionary housing payments (DHP).

Since the spare room subsidy was introduced thousands of families have seen their benefits cut if they have an extra room in their home, leading to an increase of 13,000 requests for DHP in the last year.

Cammy Day, vice-convenor of the health, wellbeing and housing committee at Edinburgh council, said he was “not comfortable” with the policy but said the council had to introduce the measure to ensure its allocation of the fund didn’t disappear as demand continued to increase.

He told Inside Housing magazine: “As a result of a policy imposed by the Conservative Party, we are having to do this, otherwise our entire DHP allocation would have been spent in the first three months [of the financial year].”

For the assessment for DHP tenants are given a form to fill in to declare their outgoings and income. Most councils include ‘non essentials’ such as satellite television and mobile phones, but Edinburgh city council includes a specific column on alcohol/cigarettes.

A council spokesman admitted spending on these items was a factor taken into account but did not mean those who did would never get any help.

A Department for Work and Pensions spokesman said: “Each individual council runs its discretionary housing payments. This is a matter for councils, as long as they run them robustly and responsibly.”

The reforms were introduced in April and are thought to affect around 600,000 people at an average loss of £14 a week for a single empty bedroom.

Leeds council has used a loophole to reclassify rooms in social housing as ‘non specific’ as a way for tenants not to lose out under the changes.

And in June the family of Stephanie Bottrill, 53, from Solihull claimed that the new charge had driven her to suicide, after she told neighbours she could not afford to live anymore.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10263749/Drinkers-lose-share-of-housing-benefit-help.html

12. Mr. Frankenstein

UN Watchdog To Investigate ‘Bedroom Tax’ Suicide Link

A UN watchdog will touch down in Britain tomorrow to investigate the “bedroom tax” and eviction threats driving tenants to suicide.

United Nations special rapporteur Raquel Rolnik is charged with assessing whether member states have delivered on the right to adequate housing – a fact-finding mission that is likely to infuriate PM David Cameron.

The PM described Britain in a speech to the UN last year as “a country that keeps its promises to the poorest.”

Yet more than 660,000 of the poorest households in Britain are expected to fall into arrears under the coalition policy, with charities warning that around two-thirds are home to someone with a disability.

The scheme cuts social tenants’ housing benefits by up to a quarter if the Department for Work and Pensions deems their homes “under-occupied.”

Those households, with a median gross income of £209 a week, then rack up an average £728 a year in arrears – the equivalent of six weeks’ rent.

If they cannot pay, local authorities and housing associations have threatened eviction – but the authority may decide not to provide even temporary accommodation as failure to pay rent is technically classified as “intentional homelessness.”

Ms Rolnik is expected to meet with government officials, NGOs, housing associations and individuals in a tour of England and Scotland.

The Anti-Bedroom Tax and Benefit Justice Federation’s Eileen Short said they would be “spelling out in human terms the injustice, insecurity, debt and despair caused by the Bedroom Tax and other benefit cuts.”

The arrival follows a ‘mass sleep-out’ of thousands of demonstrators across Britain on Saturday to highlight a surge in rough sleeping and homelessness if the policy continues.

Greater Manchester Against the Bedroom Tax’s Mark Krantz said he hoped many of those at Saturday’s sleep-out would come share their own stories with Ms Rolnik and supply written statements for her report.

Mr Krantz showed the Morning Star recent footage of residents preparing to resist an eviction – only to hear from bailiffs over the phone that they were delayed as a tenant in Oldham facing eviction had hanged himself to death.

“To have actually hung himself over the bedroom tax while waiting for eviction – that’s unbelievable,” he said.

Submissions can be sent to the Special Rapporteur’s office at gro.rhcho@gnisuohrs or delivered in hard copy during meetings.

http://welfarenewsservice.com/un-watchdog-investigate-bedroom-tax-suicide-link/

13. odonII

odonII O

14. Mr. Frankenstein

Tenant slashes wrist in housing office after being driven to despair by bedroom tax

TORMENTED former miner attempted suicide in front of staff because he couldn't cope with running up rent arrears as a result of the hated tax.

A MAN driven to despair by the bedroom tax attempted suicide in a council housing office yesterday.

Staff looked on in horror as tormented Lawrence Keane slit his wrists in a reception area after asking for help with rent arrears he had run up as a result of the hated tax.

The vulnerable 58-year-old said: “I stood up and asked them if they wanted my blood because that’s all I had left to give. I started hacking at both my arms.”

Former miner Lawrence made the suicide bid at Lochgelly Community Centre in Fife at 9am.

After cutting his arms, he stood with his arms at his side, letting blood drip on to the floor.

He was treated at Victoria Infirmary in Kirkcaldy and released.

Lawrence, who suffers from severe depression and anxiety attacks, fought back tears as he told how the bedroom tax and rent arrears pushed him over the edge.

Surrounded by his family, he said: “I got a letter from the council last week and I have stayed inside for 10 days worrying about it.

“It told me I owed a lot of money and that my rent was going up £28 a fortnight because I had an empty room in my flat.

“I didn’t know what to do. I was getting more and more angry and stressed about it. I woke, got a vegetable knife and went to the community centre.”

Lawrence, who has a grown-up son, was speaking with the full support of his furious family.

In the letter, Lawrence was told he owes Fife Council £399 and that his rent for his two-bedroom flat has increased because he lives alone.

Like many others, he just can’t afford to pay the bedroom tax.

Lawrence is on disability allowance and receives a small miner’s pension. Once he’s paid his utility bills, he has very little left to live on.

He has lived alone in his ground-floor flat for 14 years. He has few possessions and his tiny home is sparsely decorated and furnished.

He rarely drinks and “treats himself” to a roll-up cigarette and a small bottle of beer “every now and again”.

When our reporter visited, Lawrence’s fridge was virtually empty.

He didn’t even have tea bags or milk to make a hot drink.

Last night, his brother Michael, 60, and sister-in-law Harriet, 57, said the bedroom tax and welfare cuts were hitting vulnerable people the hardest.

Michael said: “We support Lawrence as best as we can. I don’t know what I would have done if he’d succeeded in his suicide attempt.

“The extra rent he was asked to pay was the final straw. He was so stressed he couldn’t even tell us about it.

“We’ve been trying to get him help for weeks – medically, psychologically and through the council – but no one has really listened.

“How many Lawrences will it take for the Government to realise how dangerous and unfair the bedroom tax is?”

Harriet added: “We asked the council to move him to a single-bedroom bungalow but they haven’t.

“They now hit him with this new rent demand.

“The bedroom tax targets the weakest in society. Lawrence and other vulnerable people like him are just names and numbers on a computer screen.”

The depute leader of the council where Lawrence lives yesterday agreed that the bedroom tax is wrong.

David Ross said of Lawrence’s suicide bid: “This was a very distressing incident. Our thoughts are with the person and we will be providing all the support we can in the days ahead.

“It would be wrong to comment on any individual’s personal circumstances.
    We respect their right to confidentiality.

“What we can say is that we are seeing an increasing number of people facing serious financial worries, many of which are caused by welfare reform.

“We’re doing all we can to support them.”

The Fife Council boss added: “I believe many of these reforms are fundamentally wrong, especially the bedroom tax hitting many of the poorest and most vulnerable Fifers.

“Although Fife Council’s approach to discretionary housing payments is one
    of the most generous in Scotland, the funding available and the regulations set by the Department for Work and Pensions that the council is forced to work under, are inadequate to deal with the level of need and the harsh effects of welfare reform.

“I firmly believe that the Government should scrap these so-called reforms
    and the insidious bedroom tax now before more people are driven to such desperate acts as happened today in Lochgelly.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/tenant-slits-wrist-housing-office-2237582

15. IamnotaMan

Nothing whatsoever to do with "racism" as you claim.
    2/3rds of new jobs since 2000 went to immigrants. And have a guess who's getting the homes that Brits are being kicked out of!!!

BTW, many of those who will get the homes Brits have been turfed out of, will be WHITE. White immigrants.

Britain is veering closer to the 3rd World, and a Kosovo situation. Courtesy of an unholy alliance between a predatory globalist cabal, and opportunists from the 3rd World and lesser developed Europe.

To attack me as racist is pretty ridiculous. The Gordon Brown scam has died a death (I'm a Labour voter BTW... and now UKIP). Defending Britain is from extreme over-immigration is NOT racism.

British people are being persecuted. And some of the worst offenders are those who make up bogus claims thats is "racist" to defend them.

16. Mr. Frankenstein

Proof ? Sources please.

Dont forget the lizard shape-shifters.

British people (the poorer members, anyway) are being persecuted by British politicians.

I'm sure you're going to be really thrilled to hear that I wasn't born in Britain either.

17. Mr. Frankenstein

Crawley man killed himself after losing benefits

A protest was staged in memory of a Crawley man who committed suicide after losing his benefits.

Unemployed electrician Lee Robinson, 39, took his own life after his housing benefit and council tax benefit was taken away.

He is thought to be the first person in Sussex whose suicide is officially linked to recent benefits cuts.

Campaigner Richard Symonds, who helped organise the protest, said: “Lee Robinson was hounded to death by the very people who were supposed to help him live.

“Undoubtedly the DWP personified by Ian Duncan Smith and Lord Freud had a part to play in implementing the policies that would make Hitler proud.”

Mr Robison, of Furzefield, Crawley, had battled depression after failing to find work.

When benefits changes were introduced by the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) Mr Robinson lost his automatic entitlement to employment support allowance (ESA).

He also struggled with depression, was taking antidepressants and had some contact with mental health services in Crawley.

Speaking at Mr Robinson's inquest, Penelope Schofield, coroner for West Sussex, said: “Mr Robinson tried to be positive but found it hard in the economic climate.

“His main issues were his benefits had been stopped and he had to go to the job centre to claim jobseekers allowance.”

He was found to have taken his own life at the inquest in County Hall, Horsham, on August 21.

A statement read on behalf of Mr Robinson's family said: “We feel very sad that Lee had been trying to access mental health services for years but had only recently been referred.

“It's far too little, much too late.”

A spokesman for Crawley Borough Council said: “We were saddened to hear of Mr Robinson's death. Mr Robinson was in receipt of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) stopped his Employment Support Allowance in January this year.

“The DWP's decision automatically stops any automatic entitlement to benefits paid by the council. The council suspended the benefits and were waiting on Mr Robinson to provide further information.”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10649155.Crawley_man_killed_himself_after_losing_benefits/?ref=twtrec

18. IamnotaMan

Source- http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...s-taxpayers-alliance-work-dole_n_3863951.html

And these vermin LOVE immigration. The true figure is prob 90% immigrants had the jobs.

Well you believe in shapeshifters if you want. I don't see how its relevant to political and economic greed tho..

No not thrilled. But it explains your bias, unnecessart smear, and disinterest in indigneous Brits : )

19. Mr. Frankenstein

Oh ? But I AM an "indigneous" Brit (whatever that is.

I have a British birth certificate. Or more to the point, I have a British Armed Forces birth certificate. I was born abroad, to (white) British parents in the armed services in the last throes of the British Empire, on a British military base.

I've been in Britain since I was 8 months old. If I had a passport it'd be a British passport.

Things are often not what they seem, are they ?

And that goes for your source, too - The Tax Payers Alliance are not exactly a reputable source of information. Not exactly your average tax payers either.

Since it was launched six years ago the alliance has become arguably the most influential pressure group in the country, yet neither the people who run it, or the backers who pay for it, have come under a great deal of scrutiny.

Its critics ask whether it really is an alliance of ordinary taxpayers, as the name is clearly intended to suggest, and how close it is to the Tory party hierarchy which seems to have adopted some of its radical ideas.

Certainly not all is as it seems. The same group that speaks out against government waste on Newsnight and in the pages of newspapers also runs a campaign against radicalising schoolbooks published by the Palestinian Authority and has formed an alliance with a Slovakian rightwing group

The group's leadership is no less esoteric. Alongside a fund manager, a petroleum geologist and a former chief economist at Lehman Brothers on the board, the directors include a retired teacher who lives in France and does not pay British tax.

But none of that has stopped frontbench Conservatives and business leaders flocking to the TPA, and at the Tory conference policy after policy seemed to bear the TPA's stamp.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/oct/09/taxpayers-alliance-conservative-pressure-group

Need I add that the Tax Payer's Alliance "report" is all about crushing the poor down just a little bit more...

The Tax Payer’s Alliance (TPA) squirmed their way onto the ever willing BBC today to gain airtime for their harrumphing report demanding workfare for everyone backed by homelessness and child starvation.

The report, written by an Oxbridge clown with no knowledge of the welfare system, demands that everyone who has been on benefits over one year - including the sickness and disability benefit Employment Support Allowance - should be forced into workfare forever or face having housing benefits and child benefits stopped.

http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/tax-payers-alliance-workfare-plans-swiveleyed-pie-in-sky/

So if that's the kind of Britain you want, the TPA are your guys....

20. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

For once, I agree with you.

It is weak to give up everything because of a tax. Jesus. We live in a country with so many benefits, and when we get asked for a little bit of money, you blame the government to such an extent you TAKE YOUR OWN LIFE. That doesn't punish anyone but yourself o_O

I know people in countries with no benefits whatsoever. I'll bet they'd kill to live here!!!

I think some people are pretty close to taking their lives anyway. It just either pushes them over the edge, or it's just a reason to do it.