First Round Leaves Going Yellow

Discussion in 'Cannabis Pests and Problems' started by rat from the hosmgm, Apr 10, 2007.

1. rat from the hosmgm

rat from the hosmgm Member

ive had my plants for 24 days now n they r coming on nicely getting proper leafy and looking reali healthy. however in the last few days ive noticed the first round leaves they get are turning yellow is this a problem?

2. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

That's normal for the colyteons (sp?) to yellow and die.

3. rat from the hosmgm

rat from the hosmgm Member

wat r colyteons? so i shouldn't worry at all?

4. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

They are the baby leaves that the seedling starts off with. They hold the energy to start the tap root and get the show started. They die off and are nothing to worry about unless you have no leaves :)

5. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

The "cotyledons" are what's left of the seed after it splits open and the tap root grows downward. The seed, with it's split, open, shell (like a little "hat") gets pushed upwards, above ground. The shell falls off revealing the cotyledons or "seed leaves", they are like the two halves of a peanut or a dried bean. They contain all of the stored energy to get the plant going - shriveling up and falling off in the process. They are the first two, small, round, thick leaves. The plant continues to grow upward from these "seed leaves" untill you get the first set of, familiar, "true leaves" (narrow and pointy with serrated edges, usually with three "fingers").

So, here's to the Cotyledons!!! We hate to see them go - but hey, that's what they're here for!

6. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

Hail hail mighty cotyledons! For those about to sprout we salute you! :p

7. Trader

Trader Member

And with the strain I recently grew many leaves changed to yellow as they began to fall off prior to harvest time. I go in once or so a day and just pull them away. About all that's left now are the buds surrounded by tight, little green/purple leaves that are glistening!!