First audition ever and i'm scared as hell!

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by lazysunbird, Jun 12, 2006.

1. lazysunbird

lazysunbird Member

Next thursday i'm auditioning for lead singer for a semi-prog rock band. I'm so, so nervous as i've never done anything like this before. I've never even sang infront of anyone besides my sister. I'm just really scared that i'm either going to be so nervous that i muck up my singing or that they'll think i have an awful voice, or worse, both will happen! I guess i'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas for keeping my nerves under control and boosting my confidence a little.

2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Think of everyone looking at you naked and you will perform like you never performed before.
    I hope this helps and good luck.

Love, bird.

3. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Try and sing for as many people as you can before the audition to get used to audiences. Just be confident too.

4. revolution_time

revolution_time Member

practice the song again and again. and then sing it for a variety of people. i use to be really nervous too, and i found if i could get the song engrained in my mind, i wouldn't even have to think about singing. it would just come. and then i could worry about facial expressions, and entertaining my audience. or, if that's too much, as it use to be for me, you can sorta "zone out" and just go through the motions. hope that helps.

5. Politics are awesome

Politics are awesome Politics suck

yes yes, practice practice practice. good luck!

6. lazysunbird

lazysunbird Member

Thanks! I need to learn 2 new songs, hopefully i can get them memorized by then! :S

7. lalalamort

lalalamort Fucked up upstairs

Hey Lazysunbird

tell me when/if you ahve gigs and ill come

( being from sydney also)

8. lazysunbird

lazysunbird Member

I'll definetly do that if all goes well. If it doesn't work out with this band hopefully i'll find another band to join or start one myself.

9. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Just play it like ya rehearsed it. Relax, and be yourself. Just jammin with your friends.
    You'll be fine. Kill 'em!!

10. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

The main thing is to not be nervous. Just go in and give the best performance you can. Go in with the mentality that it doesn't matter whether or not you get the gig, if you can put your self in that mind set, it will do alot to calm your nerves, and if your not nervous you will perform better.

11. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

So how'd it go?

12. lazysunbird

lazysunbird Member

I meant to say it's the Thursday after..sorry! So it's this Thursday on the 22nd. I've been practicing so hopefully i'll do alright. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all your suggestions!!

13. hippywitch

hippywitch Member

I hope your audition went well.:)

Michelle

14. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

15. lazysunbird

lazysunbird Member

I just got back from mu audition and it went pretty well. They seemed pretty impressed and thought i sounded good. I really hope i get it!! Guess all i can do now is wait and see if they call...*fingers crossed*

16. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

That's good.

17. Green

Green Iconoclastic

Eat peppermint. I'm told it calms you down.

18. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

Read the thread before posting. I'm told it helps you not look like a dumbass.

19. lazysunbird

lazysunbird Member

I have the best news ever!! I got a call today from one of the guys in the band and he told me that i got in! I'm so happy,it's a dream come true. I can't believe they chose ME out of everyone! I must have done ALOT better than i thought.

20. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

Good! It's always nice to get in on playing music. I myself am trying to get a band started. It'll be great when it's all together. I've got a friend of a friend that sounds interested, but I haven't actually talked to him yet :p

It's the way of the world. Good luck in the band.