finding a tattoo artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by MagicMedicine, Dec 29, 2004.

1. MagicMedicine

MagicMedicine Sailor Scent

Hey all, i wasnt sure where to post this, so I figured the art forum would be the best spot. Continuing...

I'm really going to make a long story short and just ask:

What is the best way to find an awesome artist that really knows what they're doing? I could ask everyone I know, but that really does not work. Does anyone have experience in this??

Thanks!!!

2. nest

nest Member

the best advice, and ANYONE that knows shit about tats. ( i have one tat, so that dont get me there, but i draw for tattoo artists, and do much shit for them )... the best advice anyone could give you is, you Go to the places, and YOU talk to the tattooists, talk to them as if u were gettin to know them as a friend, ask them how long they been doing it, ask them if they have some pics of work they did, and just talk to him, whatever conversation u can spark go with, if he blows u off and dont want to talk, dont get a tattoo... wait for someone u get a good vibe from and can talk to.... you will KNOW, in your mind and body and soul the person u trust with your body as a canvis... im telling you, that IS the way to do it.

3. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

I ditto what he said. ive got no tats but i know i wouldnt trust just anyone on my body.

4. Hippievixen

Hippievixen Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I also look for at least 10 years of experience. If this is going on *your* hide forever, you might as well have an expert.

5. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

Ya wat nest said,allso look for some of the artists drawings of designs,and look at the photos they take of there work.if possable watch them as they work,and look at work on someone they did a couple years ago.most tatto artists take the pic of there work right away,if you can see work (on skin)that is 2 or 3 years old you will get a better idea of there quility.allso look for there freehand work and not nessesarily a wall tat.lots of people can trace a design,but it takes a real artist to freehand a design.

of coars make sure they use new neddles for evryone,sterilize there gun with a autoclve,and that they use new ink wells and ink for evryone.
    and agian wat brother nest said be their friend if they dont whant to talk to you go someware eles.
    one last thing,,one thing you dont whant to here in a tatto studio is the word WOOPS,ha,ha
    green healing thoughts

6. MagicMedicine

MagicMedicine Sailor Scent

i like the ideas. thanks everyone. i'll start stopping by some of the local places.