Finally the tide is turning on saturated fat in the medical profession.

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by Bilby, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3876219.htm

I have known about this for years. Although there was some mention of trans fat being unhealthy, it was rather glossed over the issue to how dangerous trans-fat really is. There are many “experts ” and organizations who lump saturated fat and trans fat as being the same thing but can only give you scientific references for trans-fat. Confusing the issue is a classic propaganda technique. I would also call this bad science. A prime example would the Heart Foundation. They have 100 scientific references on trans fat, not one on saturated fat. Trans fat is found in margarine not butter or any other traditional fat, so despite this they recommend certain brands of margarine. How dumb is that? The Heart Foundation charges tens of thousands of dollars for margarine manufacturers to use the Heart Foundation Tick logo. There is a name for this arrangement, it is called advertising.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I couldnt be less interested.

If one is serious about ones diet it wouldnt take more than 1/2 hrs reading on the web to get to an article on transfat.

So complaining a little tick on their margarine container wasnt quite true when they had half a bucket of KFC the previous night

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

The scare campaign against saturated fat is utterly ridiculous. At least 70% of my diet comes from saturated fat, and I am healthier and leaner than ever before. People think I am crazy because I eat raw coconut oil and butter, but these are whole foods and probably two of the best things a person can eat to improve their health.

The difference between trans fats and saturated fats is like night and day.

Most mainstream health information is geared towards making people sick, while making the food industry even richer.

Fat from whole food sources does not make a person fat, just like dietary cholesterol from eggs and meat does not have a thing to do with high cholesterol levels. Eating a lot of sugar and refined, processed crap, however, does.

A low carb, high fat and high protein diet is the winning formula for optimal health. A high carb, low fat and low protein diet is a recipe for disaster -- hence my disdain for veganism.

4. Bilby

Let me get this right. You are uninterested about being fed disinformation and intellectual dishonesty in general? I can't think of anything more irritating.

When I signed up to HF back in 2003, it would seem at the time I only one who had heard of trans fat.

There are some other unhealthy things you can eat besides margarine, but margarine would have to one of the most unhealthy things you could ever eat. Until earlier this year used palm oil which is quite a healthy oil albeit with a few environmental problems. Now they use canola. Nuff said.

5. Bilby

In a few hundred years’ time when we are all dead and gone, people will look back in amazement of people in English speaking countries how the vast majority of the public was duped into believing that saturated fat caused heart attacks.
    Many people have told me that the whole US media is one big propaganda machine. I have never been to the USA so I have no personal experience. There would be no aspect of human life that has more big fat lies, half-truths and general intellectual dishonesty than dietary fat. There is a fair bit of intellectual dishonesty in climate change but not even there as much intellectual dishonesty.
    There are two sides to the food business. One is the conglomerates who are just out to make money and care nothing about nutrition and then there is smaller niche market food producers who make a bit of money, have to put a fair amount of their time into business, but most of all are passionate about what they do. The products from traditional producers are more like a black market item where the buyer is chasing the seller- the inverse of big business food. I sometimes wonder about the top dogs in the likes of Unilever. They make all that money out of margarine so they can eat out at expensive restaurants that cook with butter.

6. Bilby

Part 1 is now on YouTube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTkyS5yV82Q"]Heart of the Matter | The Cholesterol Myth | Part 1 - YouTube

7. Bilby

8. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I've heard that cooking with olive oil is bad because it saturates when heated. Untrue then?

9. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

It's not that it saturates, but it oxidizes and creates a lot of harmful by-products. This is what makes heating olive oil bad. The only oil that remains stable when heated is coconut oil.

Olive oil is extremely healthy when consumed unheated and is one of the best sources of GOOD fat. I consume at least two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil each day.