Film Noir

Discussion in 'Classic Movies' started by dollydagger, Nov 14, 2006.

1. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

anyone here watch old film noir movies??? i love them

And I love Robert Mitchum...<sigh>

2. Stella_Drives

Stella_Drives Senior Member

We did a whole lesson on film noir last year. I've never watched a movie in full though from this genre, just clips. Seems really interesting, any reccommendations?

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes --Robert Mitchem.Got arrested in '49 for weed.He was truly unique.

1 person likes this.
  4. dollydagger

The Maltese Falcon is probably the most notable...
    But this afternoon I watched "Out of the Past" with Robert Mitchum...that is a fantastic movie. I think if they would open it in theatres now, it would still do well.

Oh yeah...interesting side note....he was the first "celebrity" busted with reefer

Friar Turk likes this.
  5. Jesus the Jedi

Jesus the Jedi Senior Member

Maltese Falcon is definatly the biggest film noir ever.
    Chinatown was good.
    Blade Runner is my favorite.

Dark City, and Blue Velvet.

6. Retread

Retread Member

Dick Powell stars in this version of Raymond Chandler.

7. scratcho

Today my son and I were having lunch in a mall and the music playing was a trumpet with some other musicians playing softly in the background.I said to my boy"Man ,I can see Robert Mitchum leaning against a wall on a dark street in New York--smoking a cig and looking out from under his felt hat--steam rising from a manhole--rain falling-----took me right back to the 40s when I saw all those old noir gems--for 12 cents!Black and white.Those were the days.

8. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I love Film Noir. The Killers was one of the better movies I've seen. Hemmingway should be done in Noir.

Neo Noir films are a complicated subject. But I found Sin City to be amazing. Resovoir Dogs was neo noir too I assume But I've never really found a good definition of what Noir is. It certainly doesn't have to be black and white. It certainly doesn't need a detective.

I suppose se7en is noir too. As would be fight club.

They usually use lots of twists, low key lighting, and moral ambiguity. I'm not even sure if I'd call Noir a genre.

9. scratcho

Lodui---I punched up film noir and got some good info.Check it out.

10. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

Out of the Past is one of the best movies of all time, and my favorite noir. Mitchum and Bogie are the two best noir actors in history, with Mitchum taking the cake.

As for the neo noirs... I would not call Fight Club neo noir, nor Sin City, really... perhaps Seven... Chinatown, yes.

11. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

I saw Out of the Past in a class I took during summer school after my freshman year... it was the first real classic noir I'd seen, and I've seen a lot since, but none have matched it. I knew early on in the movie that it was special and soon to become one of my favorites. I expressed my enjoyment to my teacher, and he recommended I check out The Big Sleep, which I did, and I've been hooked ever since :) Those are still two of the best, along with The Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, The Killing, and many more.

12. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

Film Noir was the main reason I skipped Media lessons for almost a year to get stoned.
    Boring and unappealing to myself.

13. scratcho

After showing my kids a b&w classic when they were little(which they didn't like)I told them"hell,kids--when I was young,thats the way everything looked,not just the movies".Retorted one of my young geniuses"How'd they put the color in everything"?----"They hired A LOT of people",said I.---------One of my all-time favorites was "White Cargo".Has anyone seen it?Heddy Lamar----Oh yeah!

14. dollydagger

never seen "white cargo" but i love Heddy Lamar.........

15. The Scribe

The Scribe Member

In 1992 the Roxie Cinema in the Mission District in San Francisco had a series of film noir movies. I watched many of them and loved them. I like the idea of a loner living on the edge.

Friar Turk likes this.
  16. Mori Mesmer

Mori Mesmer Member

"Scarlet Street" has been my favorite Noir for years, now! It has just the right amount of mental instability, treachery and irony. Highly recommend!

17. waukegan

waukegan Member

a peson's gotta like the look of the cars,the police cars ,ambulances so common in these films,the film work,shadows,the feeling evoked in these films.i'm a fan.fashions and settings...........postman always rings twice......detour...bogart filmsit seems to me "the t.v show highway patrol had the feeling to it. i could be wrong its been a long time

18. Timewriter

Timewriter Member

So many to choose from but here's a quick list of classics:

In A Lonely Place
    Double Indemnity
    The Killers
    Out Of The Past
    Night And The City
    T-Men
    The Big Combo
    The Maltese Falcon
    Detour

There are many more.

19. Endy

Endy Member

In A Lonely Place is an interesting choice, the strongest of early Nicholas Ray films (my personal favorite of his). And of course Bogie is the man!

20. scratcho

The Third Man by Orson Welles.